PDA

View Full Version : A new fiberglass toy for the garage!!

Storm861triple
04-24-2006, 06:56 PM
This has been a loooooooong time coming for me, and I FINALLY got one! :)

tex
04-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Look at that grin...A Vette and Mastercraft! Wow, what does the woman look like?

Sodar
04-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Wow, that looks awesome! It even looks like the color matches the MC... you need to get a shot of the two of them together sometime!!

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 07:06 PM

this years vette is startin to really grow on me, dont be surprised if you see mine up here soon!

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 07:07 PM

wait, aren't you the guy against gas guzzlers! :uglyhamme

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Congrats man....looks awesome :)

kalanic
04-24-2006, 07:10 PM
Money Well Spent! I Really Want One!

NORTHERN LIGHTS
04-24-2006, 07:11 PM
welcome to the club!!!! I've had one for three years. Mastercraft and corvette. give me a beer and life is good!

Storm861triple
04-24-2006, 07:29 PM
Wow, what does the woman look like?
Crazy thing is....I don't have one!! At the moment...

wait, aren't you the guy against gas guzzlers!
Indeed, I am. Good "Catch". Which is one of the reasons that I chose the Corvette; it's the most fuel efficient sports car made. 400hp, 400 Tq, and 28 mpg highway. You can't get that combination anywhere else in the world...at ANY price. I do like to have my fun, but like to feel that I'm doing it in a responsible manor....or as responsible as I can be having toys that are completely unnecessary.

Thanks for the props though guys! I have to say...>I'M FIRED UP!! :D :D

-Tom

tph
04-24-2006, 07:32 PM
wait, aren't you the guy against gas guzzlers! :uglyhamme

My father in law has a 2000. He gets great MPG on the highway.

mplv
04-24-2006, 07:39 PM
you have to drive like a girl to hit those numbers, i got 12 mpg in my z06 and around 8 in my last viper, 6 in the first.

Storm861triple
04-24-2006, 07:43 PM
Around town, yes. I got 16.5 on my first tank driving 100% around town and punching it a bunch.

Highway, no. 80 mph steady = 29 mpg on mine, and with 115 miles on it, it's not even broken in yet.

-tom

Bobby
04-24-2006, 07:45 PM
hell i got around 24-25 mpg on the highway in my old '94 Z28 and didn't drive like a girl. I drove that thing the way it was intended to be driven. Then it broke. A lot. That's why I don't have it anymore.

Storm861triple
04-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Z28...Then it broke. A lot. That's why I don't have it anymore.

LOL! Been there and I hear you! Mine was an '86 w/a 420 horse 350, T-56 and 3.73's. Oh..and an 800 CFM Carb. STILL got 22 mpg on the highway @ 80-90 mph. But yeah, there's a reason why those cars sold for the price they did.

-Tom

bcampbe7
04-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Very nice Tom!
I'm jealous!

Bobby
04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
LOL! Been there and I hear you! Mine was an '86 w/a 420 horse 350, T-56 and 3.73's. Oh..and an 800 CFM Carb. STILL got 22 mpg on teh highway @ 80-90 mph. But yeah, there's a reason why those cars sold for the price they did.

-Tom

Mine had the LT-1, but with a cold air induction, performance chip, shorty headers into a custom Y-pipe and out through a Flowmaster, stock 3.42 rear end and 4L60-E trans with a light shift kit. Damn thing would scream but things just started falling apart and it had to go.

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 08:18 PM
so what model? is it the z06?

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 08:47 PM
Crazy thing is....I don't have one!! At the moment...

Indeed, I am. Good "Catch". Which is one of the reasons that I chose the Corvette; it's the most fuel efficient sports car made. 400hp, 400 Tq, and 28 mpg highway. You can't get that combination anywhere else in the world...at ANY price. I do like to have my fun, but like to feel that I'm doing it in a responsible manor....or as responsible as I can be having toys that are completely unnecessary.

Thanks for the props though guys! I have to say...>I'M FIRED UP!! :D :D

-Tom

Very nice. Stiffen up the rear end and it can pull the boat. ;)

Footin
04-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Nice ride, i'm jealous.

Mag_Red
04-24-2006, 09:32 PM
and that's why I go by the name Mag Red...........
Congrats :toast: Just drive it like you stole it! :steering:

6ballsisall
04-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Awesome Ride Storm!!! You gonna put a trailer hitch on it? It would match your MC well :D

Leroy
04-24-2006, 11:39 PM
That thing is looks atrocious! 8p

I love them and can't wait until I have one! Must be the hottest car on the market now.
Unfortunately with college coming up I'll be buying one about every couple of years probably.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-25-2006, 12:08 AM
you have to drive like a girl to hit those numbers,
Don't let JLF hear you say that....;)

Workin' 4 Toys
04-25-2006, 12:09 AM
REAL nice!!!!!!!!!!!
And you say fiberglass..... Carbon Fiber too....:D

RexDog1
04-25-2006, 09:23 AM
NICE :headbang:

Thrall
04-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Awesome car Tom!

boatless
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Hey !!! I heard the 2008 model will be build in China. :D Wonder what size engine they are going to put in it ? ;)

Ric
04-25-2006, 12:18 PM
You could not have convinced me that I would like that color but after seeing the pics I LOVE it! Be careful dammit! :toast:

Lottawatta
04-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Congrats from a fellow Vette Owner. Hope to see you over at corvetteforum.com

kdr
04-25-2006, 03:00 PM
My father-in-law has a 2000 Z06. It gets great gas mileage as long as I don't drive it :D .

Kevin 89MC
04-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Tom, sweet machine!! IMHO the C6 is the coolest looking Vette's since the C2 vintage. A bit more reliable and powerful, and fuel efficient - you can't beat it! Love the pic of it parked next to the MC. The "sports car" and the "sports boat!" Have fun! :steering:
Kevin

Mag_Red
04-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Congrats from a fellow Vette Owner. Hope to see you over at corvetteforum.comGeez...I used to live on that site. LOL See if any one remember's Mag Red Monster :D

Workin' 4 Toys
04-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Hey !!! I heard the 2008 model will be build in China. :D Wonder what size engine they are going to put in it ? ;)
Not sure about the China thing, but the next one should get the 7.0L

skitilldark
04-26-2006, 03:28 PM
Dang dawg..how big is that garage? Wish I had one with that kind of space! I have to use a shoehorn to get all my toys in the garage. Nice rides by the way.

Storm861triple
04-26-2006, 07:19 PM
skitildark,

It's 750 sq feet. It also features running water and sewer, gas heat, and built in, overhead air compressor, w/copper hard piping going to four quick connect points around the garage for air tools. The garage IS the reason why I bought my house.

Thanks for the comps. :) Both the toys are my "favorites"! :)

-Tom

roddydog
04-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Look at that grin...A Vette and Mastercraft! Wow, what does the woman look like?
And a 'SNAP-ON' tool box in the BG. Must be nice :toast:

I'm in the wrong end of my business :confused:

skitilldark
04-26-2006, 09:13 PM
skitildark,

It's 750 sq feet. It also features running water and sewer, gas heat, and built in, overhead air compressor, w/copper hard piping going to four quick connect points around the garage for air tools. The garage IS the reason why I bought my house.

Thanks for the comps. :) Both the toys are my "favorites"! :)

-Tom

I could be up for adoption, you know.

ski36short
04-26-2006, 09:30 PM
Tom, nice ride. Congrats.

SKI*MC
04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
BEAUTIFUL! After you have that thing broke in, run it on the quarter to see what you get. You have the Z06 in it right?

Has anyone ever wondered if the panels are hand laid fiberglass? :confused: :cool:

Storm861triple
04-26-2006, 11:28 PM
No Z06 for me. That is another $20K more....too much for me, as much as I'd LOVE to have a Z06, it's just plain out of my reach. :( Mine's the LS2 engine which has "only" 400 hp/400 lb-ft. I did get the Z51 package, which includes bigger/cross drilled brakes, engine and trans oil coolers, 3.45:1 rear gear (compared to 3.15), different transmission ratios, larger swaybars, stiffer springs, lower ride height, and different shock valving. All that for $1500.00; a real bargain, IMO.

I'll definitely take it to the track though. Unfortunatly here at Rocky Mtn Raceway (4500 actual elevation), I'm hoping for low 13's on a 1.8 60' time and with great shifting. At this elevation I'm only going to see 346 hp and that's assuming perfect atmospheric density (weather/temps). We'll see though. ;)

And a 'SNAP-ON' tool box in the BG. Must be nice

I'm in the wrong end of my business
What business is that, just out of curiousity? Sharp eyes you've got there to notice the top-box. :) I can assure you; this all came incrementally. There was no ease about any of this: it's all been a long, steady, and deliberate process to get to this point. That is probably a LARGE part of the reason why I'm so HAPPY about this achievement or milestone in my life. And the reason for the post title, "A loooooooong time coming". It has been.

-Tom

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I've got a friend of ours that owns an '04 and her significant other has an '05. They have been talking about taking them to the track since they bought them, and as often as we go to the track, I still can not figure out why they haven't been.
I was at US41 in Indiana a week & 1/2 ago, and of the 200 cars, there were about 30 new GTO's, but NO vettes, I couldn't believe it. I was hoping to see a heads up with both 6.0's.
If you get to the track, see if you can line up with a new GTO, I would like to know how they compare (in the 1/4) Unless I witness it first in the next few trips to the track.
I am only curious.

Storm861triple
04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Sure, I'd go heads up against a GTO...but I'd smoke it. The problem w/the GTO is it's weight: 3600 lbs. It's just too heavy, and to make matters worse, it's burdened w/a crappy rear gear. 3.07's I think. I raced a 6.0 GTO last summer w/my '86 loaded Camaro (TFS heads, RPM Cam, intake and headers, Roller rockers, 6 speed and 3.45 gear) and I thought that would be a good (close) race. It was a slaughter. Even if the GTO owner was a poor driver, the differences was huge, ET-wise and Trap speed wise. The 'Vette will out-do my Camaro easily. I dig the GTO's but I wish they weren't so heavy. Still, if I see one, I'll ask him if he's "down". The next "Mid night drags" (first one of the year) isn't until May 5th.

What do you do at the track? Watch? Drive? If drive, what?

-Tom

aerojt
04-27-2006, 10:47 PM
My father-in-law has a 2000 Z06. It gets great gas mileage as long as I don't drive it :D .

They did not make a Z06 in 2000 - '01 was the first year.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Sure, I'd go heads up against a GTO...but I'd smoke it. The problem w/the GTO is it's weight: 3600 lbs. It's just too heavy, and to make matters worse, it's burdened w/a crappy rear gear. 3.07's I think. I raced a 6.0 GTO last summer w/my '86 loaded Camaro (TFS heads, RPM Cam, intake and headers, Roller rockers, 6 speed and 3.45 gear) and I thought that would be a good (close) race. It was a slaughter. Even if the GTO owner was a poor driver, the differences was huge, ET-wise and Trap speed wise. The 'Vette will out-do my Camaro easily. I dig the GTO's but I wish they weren't so heavy. Still, if I see one, I'll ask him if he's "down". The next "Mid night drags" (first one of the year) isn't until May 5th.

What do you do at the track? Watch? Drive? If drive, what?

-Tom
I brought many cars of mine to the track over the years. Currently, I have nothing worthy of a blast. I am in shopping mode though, just need to figure out what. LOTS of ideas on the chopping block, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I go to the track with my buddies, some have cars to race, some are in proces of building them, and some are lets say bench racers(including myself for now). If one of them is going, they can count me in (If I am available).
I have 3 tracks within 1 1/2 hours of me, 1 in IL., 1 in IN., & 1 in WI.
The fastest GTO that was at the track the other day I believe pulled a 98, but I wasn't really paying to close attention.

Storm861triple
04-28-2006, 02:01 AM
I have 3 tracks within 1 1/2 hours of me, 1 in IL., 1 in IN., & 1 in WI.
The fastest GTO that was at the track the other day I believe pulled a 98, but I wasn't really paying to close attention.
Man, that's friggin' sweet that you've got three tracks close at hand. We've only got the one and the next closest one is Vegas, 6 hours away and STILL at 2200' elevation. :( The local track in SLC [RMR]) is a total piece of crap. The facility is great, but it's managed incredibly poorly and of course there's the issue of elevation (which can't' be helped). The management is maddening though and watching them piss away money and turn down good business is painful. I'd go somewhere else in a heartbeat...if there was another place to go.

Are you saying you thought the GTO trapped at 98 mph? If so, that seems a bit slow for an '05 (6.0L) GTO, but about right for a '04 (5.7L). I'd say that thing should be trapping around 103-105. The Vettes w/decent drivers are trapping 112 to 115 box-stock from what I've seen so far. I can't wait to try it out! And the Z06; fastest time I've seen for that so far is an 11.31 @ 127...bone box-stock, from the paper air filter to the run-flat tires. Sick.

-Tom

Workin' 4 Toys
04-28-2006, 03:38 PM
And there is talk of them building another one within the same distance.
It was hard to tell, but it seems most of them were autos. There was one girl driving a purple 6.0 that was a manual for sure, she was having fun trying to do burnouts.
I am not a new GTO fan, I was just wondering what the difference is head to head. If you get there, let me know, I am sure there will be some.
I am one that is looking forward to seeing the "actual" build new camaros. Perhaps a ZL1 or Z28. That will be interesting, for those of us that can't fork out the $ for the vette...;)

Storm861triple
05-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Since a few people asked I thought I'd post and update about the drag strip.

I finally went toward the end of last summer. I forgot all about this thread until today when I was browsing some old posts.

So I took it to the track in Salt Lake. 4500' elevation, temps were in the lower 90's and actual air density was 7400'. Not ideal at all, but it was what it was.

Chevy advertises the car to run 12.5 I believe and even though I'm at altitude, I WANTED that "12 second time slip" so bad. Furthermore, the fasted stock time listed on the Corvette Forum is 12.23. If you correct that backwards from sea level to 4500 feet, that's a 12.95. So the best I could possibly hope for, under ideal temps, baro driving etc. is just barely cracking onto the 12's. But I didn't have ideal conditions. I had 7100' DA and corrected backwards, the best recored stock C6 time calculates to 13.42. Plus, I was new to driving this car. I still wanted 12's though...

First pass, I just pulled to the line w/no burn just to start of gradually. Tree came down, I launched at about 1200 RPM and....BOOOOOOOOGGG! I forgot to turn off the traction control!! DUH! Ran a 13.55

Second pass, I turned everything off, left at about 1200 RPM and spun, a lot. Ran a 13.23

Next pass, I did a tiny burn on the box to clean the dust off my tires. Launched at ~1200 and got a bit of a bog, and ran a 13.08! Cool.

I took a break for a bit and let a friend of mine make a few passes, which were in the mid to low 13's. He kept hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear! lol.

I got back in the car, did a small burn, left at about 1500 R's w/some clutch slipping to avoid bog. Spun a bit, shifted at 6k (no power shifting) and returned w/a 13.04.

13.04....that's .05 seconds away from achieving my "un-achievable" goal! I knew that one way or another, I could chop .05 off my time. A little better launch, powershifting, whatever. I tried harder and harder to get that elusive 12.xx but to no avail. My times hovered in the 13.04-.08 range. I tried every trick I know and nothing was working. Powershifting only made the tires break loose. Different launch technigues didn't work...at all. Finially, I parked the car for about a 1/2 hour w/the hood open to cool. When the DIC showed coolant temp of 190 (still too hot for best performance), I hopped in, pulled to the box, did another small burn, and staged as shallow as I could. Lights came down, I launched w/a clutch slip/gas roll-on from 1500, and shifted as fast as I could (lifting the throttle), right at 6k. Dudes...12.89. I didn't just barely crack into the 12's, I busted into the 12's! 12.89!! I was fired up! That did it for me so I packed up and headed home. No GTO's at the track though.

Corrected the right way, back to sea level, from my 4500' actual elevation puts me at a 12.17.

Anyway, don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but I was highly excited about the car's performance. I'd REALLY like to be able to run it at sea level...