PDA

View Full Version : ipod controlling deck

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 05:27 PM
anyone have one of these yet? my sony took a dump and i was thinking about getting on of these. is the sound quality better than aux port jack?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7057338&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03066&id=1108124880755

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 05:34 PM
It says there's an adapter to control the ipod, but when I click that link, it says "page no longer exists."

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 05:44 PM
yes, it did that for me too. i did see it at the store though from what i remember its about $150 more..i just wondering if the sound wuality will be better than using the aux jack like i do now..

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't know. If I couldn't control the ipod via the tuner via remote though, I woudln't bother with it. On some tuners that control ipods, I've read reviews that the displays leave a bit to be desired as far as information and how much control you actually have.

Still, for the price, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. I just don't know that I'd go for the ipod control option right away.

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 05:53 PM
i dont really need the control ,actually im better off with out it. im not sure if your familair with my boat , but the deck goes in the arm rest. i have my ipod velcro mounted on the dash. so its actaully easier to control the ipod than the deck. i was just after improved sound quality. i would rather buy the same exact deck though to make the install much easier..

AirJunky
04-24-2006, 05:56 PM
So are you saying that the sounds quality has not been very good between the Ipod & the Sony deck via the aux jack?

Either way, I think steering clear of Best Buy is your best bet.

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Okay, I gotcha. It sounds like (which means I don't know for sure) that this option is another link in the chain between the source (ipod) and the tuner. Since there will be no bypass, I can't imagine that it would make the sound better than just directly plugging the ipod into the back of the turner. With all the background noise, any improvement in sound quality over hard wiring it would be minimal, but ICBW.

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 06:11 PM
So are you saying that the sounds quality has not been very good between the Ipod & the Sony deck via the aux jack?

Either way, I think steering clear of Best Buy is your best bet.

the link is pretty good, not as clear or loud as cd's but very close. unfortunatley if i want the same stereo i had before i have to go to best buy.. unless i want to order online and wait.

88 PS190
04-24-2006, 06:14 PM
My older brother has a deck from pioneer that controls the iPod, and while it works well and sounds great the interface is poor, and the information provided on the deck is a bit lacking.

The i pod click wheel is about the best way to scroll through songs known to man, and If the deck doesn't allow that its not going to make you happy.

rodltg2
04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
you right.....

BeavenX5
04-25-2006, 11:39 AM
This winter I looked at an Alpine deck to replace the OEM radio in my car to be able to use the Ipod. The sound quality of the Alpine unit is excellent, far better than the Mercedes OEM radio but the i-pod interface was not that great. I don't remember how Alpine calls the scroll bar under the display but I read in car audio forums that they had a lot of problems with it. It was also very hard to scroll through large playlist. Lot better directly on the i-pod.
At the end, I decided to stay away from it and keep the lousy OEM radio as it fitted better in the car and would probably last longer than the Alpine. I settled for the i-trip FM modulator that works fine outside of the city but sound quality is far from the Alpine

88 PS190
04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Only alternative is to set up in essence a shuffle play list, then use the next song function, or they work fine if you have say, a 4 gig iPod where you're talking only so much music.

The i trips work, as does the input cable to the rear, but with slightly less quality than connecting with the data port.

I hope someone comes out with a charging dock that allows you to connect to the rear of the radio with an audio in aux. jack, and keep the iPod's functions on.

Diesel
04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
i dont really need the control ,actually im better off with out it. im not sure if your familair with my boat , but the deck goes in the arm rest. i have my ipod velcro mounted on the dash. so its actaully easier to control the ipod than the deck. i was just after improved sound quality. i would rather buy the same exact deck though to make the install much easier..

The problem with these interfaces is they disable your click wheel on the ipod. You can only control the Ipod through the deck which is really cumbersome and slow.

As far as sound................ it is the exact same as using an aux input so the quality will not "improve." If your aux input does not sound the same as a CD something else is wrong (bit rate, connections, noise, etc.)

BeavenX5
04-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I hope someone comes out with a charging dock that allows you to connect to the rear of the radio with an audio in aux. jack, and keep the iPod's functions on.

What I plan on doing this summer on the boat is to use the itrip for charging the ipod and use a second cable from the earphone jack to the RCA input behind the radio. Better sound quality than FM and still keeps the ipod charged.
Just an idea, I have not tried it yet. 2 more weeks before the season starts here. The ice sunk at our lake 4 days ago.:dance:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 06:44 PM
I saw yesterday in a couple of magazines there is a sony head unit now with a plug in the face for an Ipod, and there is a remote control also available that resembles the face of the ipod. Two different magazines, but it sounds like things are advancing to make them more user friendly.

Leroy
04-27-2006, 08:47 PM
I haven't seen an interface from a radio I would trade my IPOD interface for. Radio does look nice and like Doug, I would be temped to burn CD's with MP3 music. ~200 songs per disc, water proof, if it gets scratched.....well there went ten cents! My radio is ancient and will not play MP3 format.