PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure Alarm

kcd
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
So after a great morning on the boat this Saturday (3 year old took his first pee off the side of the boat... enough to make is father cry!) The 2002 Prostar 190 LTR woke us up by sounding the oil pressure alarm (gauge was at 0). We shut er down and restarted it, and the gauge was normal. After some at speed tests we went back to idle for a while and the gauge went back to 0 with the alarm and all!

We're thinking the pressure sending unit is bad. Anyone else experience something like this? Or have some brainy ideas on diagnosing? I was looking at the motor and I think I see only 1 sending unit... anyone know for sure where it is at or if there really is two?

jimmer2880
04-25-2006, 07:28 AM
Sorry, but I don't know the 1 or 2 sensor answer. I'm thinking 2. 1 for the guage & 1 for the buzzer, but ICBW (and, probably am in this case). It may also be a loose ground in your dash.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
You checked the obvious right, is there enough oil?

LakePirate
04-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Check the wire connection on the oil pressure sending unit on the engine block. I knocked it loose last year and had the same thing happen.

kcd
04-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Yep, oil is full up. Any chance someone can tell me exactly where the sender is? I looked around and thought I found it, but I'm not sure that is really it...

pkskier
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
The oil pressure sending unit should be close to where your oil filter is mounted.

jimmer2880
04-26-2006, 07:06 AM
I just noticed, your sig lists a 351 LTR.... I could be wrong, but I bet that's supposed to be a 350 LTR :)

Sorry - I don't know where the sensor would be on your boat.

Engine Nut
04-26-2006, 09:46 AM
There is one oil pressure sender on your engine. It should be sticking out right ablve the oil filter. I have attached a photo of the sender. Yours will look like this except be painted black. The oil alarm is a function of the MDC computer that is under the dashboard and drives the gauges. It gets the signal from the sender and sets the alarm if it detects low pressure.

If you have an LTR engine, have you ever taken it in to your dealer and had the oil pump drive gear inspected? There was a recall letter sent out by MasterCraft a few years ago regarding this issue. If you have not had it checked, you should.

Engine Nut

kcd
04-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks everybody... found the thing. Located on the port side towards the stern. Grabbed the wire to see if it was connected and it about fell off! This is a used boat and it looks like it has been replaced (not painted at all), and the person replacing it didn't connect it very well.

As a side note I did find the OBD port while looking!

Thanks again (and jimmer thanks for catching the typo).

LakePirate
04-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Gald to hear that it was a simple fix.

G-man
04-26-2006, 12:05 PM
I suggest that you have your dealer have the serial number checked to see if a recall has been issued for the boat. Recalls extend to 2nd owners, You may let MC know to get your name in their books for any fututre if any recalls.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I just noticed, your sig lists a 351 LTR.... I could be wrong, but I bet that's supposed to be a 350 LTR :)

Sorry - I don't know where the sensor would be on your boat.
Maybe he wants it to be a Ford and not a Chevy.....:D ;)

kcd
05-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Toys... that hit's the mark! I have that EXACT argument with my chevy ownen Uncle!

ilikeitglacy
05-05-2006, 11:02 PM
You checked the obvious right, is there enough oil?
Same problem last week-end, after i made oil change: Anyone can tell me exactly how much oil is needed?
in liter ;)
hard to tell with the dip stick when the oil is transparent :D