PDA

View Full Version : What water temp is too cold???

bcampbe7
10-01-2004, 01:46 PM
I realize this is a personal preferance, but what water temp will you guys go down to just using a wetsuit?

The water temp on my lake is 75 degrees right now. Not too bad but a little nippy. A shorty wetsuit may be in order for this wimp. Just wanted to see how everyone else feels (not about my wimpyness, but about the cool water temp) :)

Rockman
10-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Since we foot most of the time, we are in wetsuits until the water gets cold enough for drysuits (October or so).

Once the weather gets cold enough for the drysuits, the engine water heater comes out. In the coldest months we've ski'd in Wiscosnin, we brought along a big cooler, filled it with hot water and then out our feet in during breaks.

Nothing like the time we ski'd on 1/9/00 (Millenium Run) in Lake Geneva. Air temp was 22 F and the water temp was 28 F :eek3: . Needless to say we shared the lake only with the snowmobilers (only half the lake was frozen). Scary part was when we went to pull the boat out and the brakes on the trailer had frozen.

Nothing like footin and not feeling your feet! :eek:

River Rat
10-01-2004, 02:04 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: ya'll are krazy!!! I think I'll stay down here and face the hurricanes. If it's cold enough to freeze the lake my butt don't want no part of it!!

east tx skier
10-01-2004, 02:10 PM
I'll usually stay in shorts as long as water temp is in the low 70s high 60s. In my ski season, March -- November, I'm usually only in a wetsuit in March and November. I don't own a drysuit.

G-man
10-01-2004, 02:40 PM
We pretty much use the 100 degree rule, air temp & water temp need to equal 100. no wind. For me when the water is about 52 it's to cold for these old bones.

NeilM
10-01-2004, 03:26 PM
For me, now that I'm older and wiser, when the water temp gets below the mid sixties, it's time for the wetsuit. When it gets below the mid 50's, it's time to stop unless it's a really hot day. I haven't yet bought a drysuit.

mastercraft1995
10-01-2004, 04:17 PM
below 60 degrees water temp is when we break out the wet suits. If you wear a suit above 60 your a wussy in the group I go with.

east tx skier
10-01-2004, 04:27 PM
below 60 degrees water temp is when we break out the wet suits. If you wear a suit above 60 your a wussy in the group I go with.

The only pi$sing contests we have in our boat is what some people may be doing in their wetsuits to stay warm. Not me. My wetsuit is pi$s free.

Nanner time :banana:

Jorski
10-01-2004, 04:40 PM
No rubber (safe skiing) until water is below 60 degrees....coldest ever without wet or drysuit was one November several years ago when the water temperature was 48 degrees. As I climbed out of the water (the second fall that day) and into the boat the driver said to me, "man your lips are blue" I was absolutely frozen for about half an hour.

Tom Wortham
10-01-2004, 05:53 PM
No rubber (safe skiing) until water is below 60 degrees....coldest ever without wet or drysuit was one November several years ago when the water temperature was 48 degrees. As I climbed out of the water (the second fall that day) and into the boat the driver said to me, "man your lips are blue" I was absolutely frozen for about half an hour.

That's cold! Not sure if any water in Texas gets that cold. :D

NeilM
10-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Call me whatever you want.. In the past, I've skiied right alongside chunks of ice without a wetsuit - in fact, we SAT on the ice because the docks were not in the water yet -- water temp was 33 degrees -- air temp not much more than 50. Feet, hands, lips, everything (!) turning blue..
In short, BTDT and have nothing to prove... Now, with half a century of experience behind me, I like to avoid the shock of cold water...

SkySkiSpokane
10-01-2004, 06:57 PM
We try to ride all year up here except for when the lake freezes of course. This Ben Ferney who skis up here. Air Temp 38F, Water Temp 41F, and 12 inches of snow on the ground. Hit his fisrt mobe in Decmber!! http://www.foilfreaks.com/Misc/Ferney-FungSchway.wmv :banana:

paulphillipson
10-01-2004, 06:59 PM
I did a March run on Boulder Reservoir in Colorado some years ago, when we skiied around the icebergs. Not sure what the water temp was, but the air temp was in the high 30's. I foolishly went first, and my buddies declined the honor after seeing me turn blue. I learned the true meaning of shock that day.

lakes Rick
10-01-2004, 07:18 PM
I believe George Costanza had it right when he said "shrinkage".....

Leroy
10-01-2004, 07:22 PM
That's pretty good trick SkiSpokan! I'm too worried about block freezing at night to chance the days where it is warm. In the triathlon days, <~66 meant wet suit or else you there are too many side effects possible.

Also, what's wrong with a "warmer in the suit"? I guarantee you it's more drinkable than the lake you're in...... Was always better than wetting the seat or running in the woods!

jpattigr
10-01-2004, 11:00 PM
Skied last weekend and the water temp was 56 , air about 73. It was great! Like Neil have skied when the snow and ice are around the edge of the lake. Treated myself to a new drysuit and last weekend was a pleasure!! : :D

Brent
10-02-2004, 08:52 AM

AirJunky
10-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Water temps in the low 40s is pretty easy to do in a drysuit (IMO). It's when the air temps drop past the 40s that suck..... the wind on your wet face is hard to get over. But we've done it numerous times as low as the high 20s. Don't drop your gloves on the floor or they will freeze there!
Heres our annual Santa run last year, water & air temps in the 40s. It was a lot of fun though!
http://airjunky.com/airsanta03/

phecksel
10-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Our Ski Club does a benefit ski every year in December. About four years ago, the water temperature was 34°F. Next morning the whole lake was frozen. Best part, I did a header off the dock trying to dock start. Wet suit or not, it was F* cold.

skiboy
10-02-2004, 11:17 PM
Up here, I usually get my first pulls in the first of April. Usually ice still on the llake in spots. Last year was running the course first week of November, got everything pulled out it then froze up 3 days earlier. Full suit for that time of year, shorts from May till Late September. :woohoo:

Cody
10-03-2004, 12:18 AM
How long are you guys in the water?

I am sure I am the biggest wimp out of the group. I can't hardly take it when it gets below 70f, period. That is with a wetsuit or a drysuit. 30f or 40f degrees is COLD! Are you skiing sets to where you are pushing it and taking a fall or are you careful not to bite it? I'd like to know how big a sissy I really am.

AirJunky
10-03-2004, 11:05 AM
In temps like that it's hard to ride more than 20 minutes or so. I don't do any new tricks but I'll bust out the old ones & usually crash at least a couple of times.
70f is cake...... the water here in WA never gets any warmer than about 75 in the middle of the summer!

bonedoc
10-03-2004, 07:01 PM
went last weekend for a board....water was 54F....was going to wear my wetsuit until I accidentally kind of fell in launcing the boat (don't ask).....after I could breath again and I was done shreiking like a little girl, I just got my board on and got my butt pulled up out of there faster than....well........something fast :eek:

André
10-03-2004, 07:16 PM
...And of course,no pictures from you falling in the water!!! LOL

BriEOD
10-03-2004, 07:49 PM
February around here we usuall have water in the 50's. That is very skiable.

NeilM
10-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Geez Bonedoc, sorry we didnt' connect last night. Unless an early Santa brings me a drysuit, I think I'm done for the year 'cause it'll be a couple of weeks yet before my ribs have healed enough to give it a go...

Blew out the sprinklers on Wed nite (dropped to -7C). Guess the boat's gonna get done as soon as I get it back from the dealer's..

jpattigr - congrats on the drysuit.. Which one did you buy? Definitely extends your season.. What do you do with your feet & head?

jimmer2880
10-04-2004, 07:26 AM
My wife has a neoprene hood that works well. I dont' like it since if you take a header, all the water enters around your head & straight down the inside of your suit.

We have fleece lined neoprene gloves. They are actually jet-skiing gloves. Man are they nice! Our hands will actually start to sweat on 45deg water days.

When I was teaching my now wife to ski (we had only been dating for 2 months), I didn't have a suit small enough for her, AND had loaned out my only pair of combos to someone I forgot. So - she learned to ski on a slalom in 45deg water withOUT a wetsuit. I didn't even have a heater in the boat at that time. The poor thing would come back in the boat all blue. But - she always came back for more abuse! :love:

sizzler
10-04-2004, 08:52 AM
lake here is down to 55f...still in shorts at mom.....just had 2 drysuits made to measure for my girls(9 + 7) they have inserts put in them as the girls grow....the man does this FOC....they have waterproof socks and gloves inc. into the suit so they stay as warm as toast..its the only way to keep them interested during the winter and it ensures i get P+Q during the weekends at the lake..........we are only 1 of 2 boats out normally during the winter.....glassy

tex
10-04-2004, 09:39 AM
I used to ski in a show in Germany. Early March, watching it snow from a 35 foot tower with rope in hand getting ready to do a flying barefoot start is cold! It is great to be back in Texas!

sizzler
10-04-2004, 09:42 AM
did you go in feet first??? or on your butt with feet over the line???

must try

sizzler
10-04-2004, 09:43 AM
most i've done is 20ft horizontal..

crdickey
10-04-2004, 10:05 AM
I hate the cold! Even in So. Cal.

I ski year round and mid to late October I break out the heavy duty equipment. By mid November I'm in an O'Neill Throttle dry suit with O'Neill thermal skins. I ski a Goode with Powershell boots which allow me to use dry socks. I use surgical gloves under my kevlar liners then my regular ski gloves and I wear a full hood. The only thing wet is my face. Surprisingly enough, there is plenty of room and very little hindrance.

Call me a wimp, but call me warm and dry and skiing all year.

tex
10-04-2004, 11:00 AM
sizzler-feet first with a big scoop as you hit the water!

mitch
10-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Our water is at 60, and I'm in a chill guard, wife and daughter, just a vest :eek: I'll break out the wetsuit at 55, and drysuit below 50.

skiboy
10-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Tomorrow morning were heading out, looks like the last morning run for the season as the trailer parks are closing. So the guys I ski with won't be up. It''s going down to - 6 degrees celcius, wering wet suits, it's not skiing that bothers me , i never feel the water, that dosn't bother me, it''s when i have to drive after skiing, the windshield is frooze up so you have to look ove r the windshield, the wind kills you. Annual Pigeon Lake Water SKi Club ritual.

east tx skier
10-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Just got an O'Neill Gooru hot top as an early b-day gift. If I could just get a break in the weather, I'll probably get a chance to use it soon.

jpattigr
10-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Oct.4 in Canada the end is near for sure, we had the first warm day in a couple of weeks and hit the lake. Air was mid 70 and water 54. The water was calm and no boats in sight.
I skied three sets and had a good workout, if it was the end for this year then a great ending indeed.
The Ski hills open in One month and a new fix begins!! The mountains are white already! :)

NeilM
10-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Oct.4 in Canada the end is near for sure, we had the first warm day in a couple of weeks and hit the lake. Air was mid 70 and water 54. The water was calm and no boats in sight.
I skied three sets and had a good workout, if it was the end for this year then a great ending indeed.
The Ski hills open in One month and a new fix begins!! The mountains are white already! :)
Good to see you're getting some use out of the new drysuit.. I'm envious.. How's the water level? Temp?

jpattigr
10-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Yes, The dry suit is a great investment! I could float in the water all afternoon if not for hands and feet.
The water level is very high, only down about two feet from max. and temp at Ghost was around 54 on my perfect pass, great night.
May hit the ghost again tonight as not many days left.
The suit I purchased is a Neil Pryde and it looks like a wet suit but has sealed seams and is awesome. www.neilprydewaterwear.com

Bert
10-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Yes, The dry suit is a great investment! I could float in the water all afternoon if not for hands and feet.
The water level is very high, only down about two feet from max. and temp at Ghost was around 54 on my perfect pass, great night.
May hit the ghost again tonight as not many days left.
The suit I purchased is a Neil Pryde and it looks like a wet suit but has sealed seams and is awesome. www.neilprydewaterwear.com

you are so lucky. I second guessed the weather, I should know better around here right :o , winterized and put it in storage three 2 hours away : well here's to next year now. :toast: we will be skiing in the white stuff soon

BriEOD
10-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Wow, what does the water temp get to peak summer?

Bert
10-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Wow, what does the water temp get to peak summer? about 65-70

BriEOD
10-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Holy sh*t!!! You guys are hard core. I just checked the water temp here in South Carolina and it's 75 on the 5th of October.

Bert
10-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Holy sh*t!!! You guys are hard core. I just checked the water temp here in South Carolina and it's 75 on the 5th of October.
I was in Orlando back in about 93 I think. It was the first year of the 205. The family that ran Sammy Duvall's store took us out skiing after we visited the store to inquire about getting a pull. He charged us 10 bucks for the afternoon and requested we tip his teen age son who drove for us. Air temp was about 80 and water around 70. The guy's son was dressed in wool socks and a sweater to drive for us. They thought we were nuts jumping in in shorts and loving it. We gave him very nice tip and since it was thanksgiving weekend they invited us to thanks giving dinner. Great people down there.

BriEOD
10-05-2004, 10:23 PM
All what your used to...

jpattigr
10-05-2004, 11:45 PM
Got back to Ghost tonight and skied behind my buddies boat, another awesome Oct. evening.
Ghost lake is the Bow river damed into a lake, the water comes from melting glaciers in the Rocky mountains just 15 miles west of the lake. The water is never warm even in the summer, however it is very clean and clear as I will and do drink it straight from the lake.
Most other lakes around here reach 75 maybe 78 at the peak of summer and we enjoy skiing then.

NeilM
10-06-2004, 12:22 AM
All what your used to...
I guess that's it, Brian.. jpattigr and I both do the Ghost Reservoir (although we haven't met yet!) which he describes - 25 mins from my house - probably ten from his - "refreshing :eek3: " at the best of times..

One of these times, when we both recover from our watersports-induced injuries, we're going to head down in your general direction to see who we can bribe into taking us for a pull... (just don't mention anything about the gators or the snakes)..75 degree water in the dead of summer is rare around here.

Bert
10-06-2004, 01:33 AM
I guess that's it, Brian.. jpattigr and I both do the Ghost Reservoir (although we haven't met yet!) which he describes - 25 mins from my house - probably ten from his - "refreshing :eek3: " at the best of times..

One of these times, when we both recover from our watersports-induced injuries, we're going to head down in your general direction to see who we can bribe into taking us for a pull... (just don't mention anything about the gators or the snakes)..75 degree water in the dead of summer is rare around here.
takes me 27 mins from my house to Ghost village where I launch or ski with some friends that keep their MC 's on the water. We will all have to get together next summer out there.

jpattigr
10-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Neil M and Bert,

Next spring we can all hook up one evening and take a few photos of us all skiing the course there. Last night the Ghost channel was the only calm water as the wind was blowing hard from the west. Only one other boat on the lake wakeboarding and one fisherman to deal with.
I look forward to meeting you both.

André
10-06-2004, 07:02 PM
That's cool when peoples that met on the board get togheter!
Too bad i'm the only one from my neighborhood...
And the local dealer must store at least 300 boats in winter???Where are those owners???
Local=125 miles :eek:
Lots of peoples from Alberta on MBO too

Bert
10-07-2004, 12:24 AM
Neil M and Bert,

Next spring we can all hook up one evening and take a few photos of us all skiing the course there. Last night the Ghost channel was the only calm water as the wind was blowing hard from the west. Only one other boat on the lake wakeboarding and one fisherman to deal with.
I look forward to meeting you both.
I will be in a black on white ps 190 looking for a red on white 197 and a blue on white maristar correct

NeilM
10-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Bert,

The MariStar is Black on white... I'll be watching for your Black on White PS 190... We do go to Chesterslough occasionally earlier in the year -- I find it's way too weedy anything past the end of June, though..

Jpattigr... Great idea to meet - I don't think you want to see me in (under/over?) the course... I'm more of a free ski guy last few years.

André, yes - I think those of us who live in Alberta and own a ski boat have to bond with one another. There's very little ski-able water in this province (unless you own a drysuit) and the waterski season is so short.. we have to communicate with one another just to satisfy ourselves we're not totally crazy...

jpattigr
10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
If we ever did the math for what a run behind our boats cost, then we are crazy!!
50K + boat, cost of gas, cold water, 4 mon season in good years!!

Ugh :confused:

Yet as Mastercard says PRICELESS!! :)