PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Cleaning

pq2
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
what would you recomend to clean the carpet of the boat, some kind of soap or shampoo?????

88 PS190
04-24-2006, 02:08 PM
It really depends on how clean you keep it, personally i seldom need to do anything other than touch it up with a shop vac, and perhaps spot clean with a bit of soapy water, then shop vac that area off.

do you have the really thick carpet?

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Here's what I do and it works like a charm. Put a little laundry detergent (no bleach) in a bucket with some warm water. Use a brush and work it into the carpet. Then, take it to a DIY car wash and hit the carpet with the rinse out of the pressure nozzle. Wash all that soapy water into the bilge and out the drain. Get as much of the remaining water out with a shop vac and then let it dry in the sun. It smells so good afterwards and your bilge is cleaned, too.

pq2
04-24-2006, 02:28 PM
i have a new 197 prostar i think its a soft thick carpet. seems that the salt is sticking on it and the dust too. I only washed with water but now i think i need something else.

pq2
04-24-2006, 02:30 PM
thanks tx, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking in washing it with a little soap and then take the soap out with a karcher, maybe thats too much

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I don't remember where I first read about this method, but I seem to recall that MYMC said that they did it this way also. I could be wrong though. I have done it in my boat with great results.

G-man
04-24-2006, 02:44 PM
I only use soap if there is a spot to remove. I soak the carpet and scrub with a nylon brush. Rinse carpet again then wet vac out, If necessary hose down and wet vac a second cycle. Most important don't use your boat cover till the carpet is completely dry.

JohnnyB
04-25-2006, 10:29 PM
I just tried a few searches but am striking out.....there was a very good thread on this at this time last year. It contained some info from some of the boat details. It also included the mix for carpet cleaning solution to use following Easties method....did that to my boat last year with the concoction from the thread using the brush and pressure washer and it worked well.

bigmac
04-25-2006, 10:33 PM
thanks tx, that sounds like a good idea. I was thinking in washing it with a little soap and then take the soap out with a karcher, maybe thats too much

I use a 3000 psi pressure washer, but I think a lower-pressure Karcher would work great. My approach to carpet cleaning is exactly like Doug's, and it's worked well for me for almost a decade.

ajgressette
04-28-2006, 04:07 AM
I am not sure how it works but Joy Soap will remove salt. I spent some time on a research vessel for N.O.A.A. and it was one of the recommended items that you bring. You can bath and wash towels in salt water and somehow it cuts most of the salt. I donít think it will hurt the carpet in a boat. You could spot test. :twocents:

shepherd
07-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I washed the carpet in my boat with mild dish soap in hot water and rinsed it good. Unfortunately, it took a few days to dry out and has had a mildew smell ever since. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell?

So, what is the best way to thoroughly dry your carpet after washing it? I've heard a ceiling fan in the garage might help.

The MC manual says to just leave the boat out in the sun, uncovered, for a few days until it dries. Kinda defeats the purpose IMO. It would just get dirty again, not to mention sun damage, if I did that.

BrianM
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Here's what I do and it works like a charm. Put a little laundry detergent (no bleach) in a bucket with some warm water. Use a brush and work it into the carpet. Then, take it to a DIY car wash and hit the carpet with the rinse out of the pressure nozzle. Wash all that soapy water into the bilge and out the drain. Get as much of the remaining water out with a shop vac and then let it dry in the sun. It smells so good afterwards and your bilge is cleaned, too.

I do the same thing. Works great.

kbulava85
08-14-2007, 11:00 PM

I detail boats for a living and that's the method we use, cept we have a pressure washer. That's what I did for mine to get the smell of mice piss out of it, it worked great, and like you say..cleans the bilge too! It really was intolerable the smell of piss was so strong, now you'd never know it smells amazing.