PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Maristar 210

Dr B
10-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Can someone tell me the differences between a Pro star and a Maristar.
I have found a 1990 used Maristar 210 in excellent condition that I am thinking about buying for wakeboarding. 302 Indmar/ 220 hp/ 300 hrs Is there anything I should be concerned about or look for? How will this boat be for wakeboarding? Thanks for your input.

ski_king
10-01-2004, 10:45 AM
The Maristar is a bigger boat with a bigger wake. The ProStar is designed for a smaller slalom wake.
Check out the Download section of this website to see some older brochures. There isnt a 90, but the 89 and 93 will still show the difference.
I would be concerned about the 302, 220 HP, this sounds underpowered for this boat.

captkidd
10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
I agree that the 302 at 220 hp is a bit under powered, but if the price is really good, there are plenty of engine modifications available for the 302 that could add 100 hp pretty easily (supercharging, new heads, etc.).

lakes Rick
10-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Dr. B

The early Maristars ( 91-92) are more like a large comp boat ( prostar) than the later V-drive Maristars.. The boats will have direct drive ( engine in the center of boat) and are probably pretty darn nice boats.. 302?? That had to be a crummy option..

Yes it will give you a larger wake for skiing, but for wakeboarding it will be just fine.. Nice boat with a smoother riding hull with some room in it... If its clean, well kept, with a good price and you are not into skiing the "balls" it would be a nice boat...

André
10-01-2004, 07:34 PM
With a tower and a couples of friends in the back,it would make a decent wakeboard boat but no more.I don't think the 302 could handle much ballast...If the price is good,you didn't mentionned how much,It would be a real good family- ski-wakeboard boat that will hold on it's value.
For the same boat, i would pay less for the one with the 302.
Good luck!

Hoff1
10-03-2004, 01:15 PM
I have a 1990 Maristar with the 351 (240 hp). I've pulled a few skiers and they think the wake is decent - none of my friends are comp skiers though. I use it for wakeboarding mainly. Typically I use 1 fat sack with about 500 lbs of water. I have loaded it with 3 fat sacks and 6 people. The wake was enormous, but the weight was all the engine could handle - not recommended for continual use. It's a good boat overall. It does tend to porpoise a little unless you add some weight to the front.

NeilM
10-04-2004, 12:19 AM
... It does tend to porpoise a little unless you add some weight to the front.
Mine is 12 years newer and still suffers this affliction..:mad:

Dr B
10-04-2004, 12:00 PM
I can pick up the boat for 9k.
I know and trust the dealership where it has been at for the past 2 years. The have done all of the service work, and cosmetic work. Seats have been rebuilt.

Hoff1
10-04-2004, 03:03 PM
If I was going to sell my boat today, I would definitely ask more than 9k. If the engine has decent hours and the interior/exterior are in decent shape, this sounds like a good buy to me.

Dr B
10-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks fot the input. Anything special I should look for? I am going up on Wed to look the boat over and drive it w a wakeboarder behind it. All we do is board. We have had the skis out 1x in the past 3 years.

Hoff1
10-05-2004, 08:26 AM
Nothing special that I can think of other than typical engine & interior/exterior quality. Don’t expect a big wake without a ballast of some kind also.

NeilM
10-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Dr B, it'd be best if you could get the boat to a shop you trust for an inspection.. that's really your best insurance. A compression test would be nice, as well as having someone familiar with inboards looking at tranny, propshaft, exhaust manifolds, etc. If the hull, engine, and tranny are in good shape, there's not a lot else that's really expensive to fix..