PDA

View Full Version : 1:1 Transmission

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 07:20 AM
I just did the second transmission fluid change on my boat since I've had it (18 months). The first time it was super nasty, and this time it also was. It almost looked like motor oil instead of transmission fluid. I plan on just doing a lot of regular changes to try to clean it up, but I'm wondering if the velvet drives have a filter or anything in them? I'm also curious if they are cooled at all and whether or not I may be burning the tranny oil? Any help would be great! :wavey:

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
I've not seen anything in my manual about a filter on the Velvet Drive. Perhaps you didn't get all the nasty out the first time? I've heard of some folks changing it twice every time just to get as much as they can out.

Mine usually looks pretty good at the end of the season.

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
I've not seen anything in my manual about a filter. Perhaps you didn't get all the nasty out the first time? I've heard of some folks changing it twice every time just to get as much as they can out.

Mine usually looks pretty good at the end of the season.

That's kind of what I figured, my guess is that the previous owner wasn't as good about maintenance as I am. I guess I'll just keep changing every couple of times out until it starts looking more like transmission fluid when it comes out. Thanks.

88 PS190
04-24-2006, 12:06 PM
That's very odd our 88's trans fluid hasn't changed color at all. if you go to www.correctcraftfan.com/reference they have manuals for some velvet drive models.

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 12:16 PM
That's very odd our 88's trans fluid hasn't changed color at all. if you go to www.correctcraftfan.com/reference they have manuals for some velvet drive models.

Like I said, I think the previous owner probably missed a few service intervals. It works fine, I think if I just flush it a lot over the course of this season I can probably clean it up and get a lot of the crap out of it.

Hoff1
04-24-2006, 01:16 PM
You cooler lines could be clogged or the cooler itself. That would surely burn the fluid up. Might want to check there flow, maybe pull the lines and see if they are restricted. Could be the lines, cooler, or whatever mechanism pumps the fluid to the cooler (don't have clue has that works).

jsonova99
04-25-2006, 07:09 AM
You cooler lines could be clogged or the cooler itself. That would surely burn the fluid up. Might want to check there flow, maybe pull the lines and see if they are restricted. Could be the lines, cooler, or whatever mechanism pumps the fluid to the cooler (don't have clue has that works).

Do the older velvet drives have cooling lines? I've never seen any sort of a transmission oild cooler, although I'd be expecting it to look like a small radiator, maybe it's different on these?

Hoff1
04-25-2006, 08:32 AM
My 1990 does, so I'm guessing you 1991 would have very similar parts. There should be 2 hoses (about 1/2" in diameter) that run from the transmission to the cooler which is inline on the raw water intake. I had to replace my hoses a couple of years ago because they started leaking fluid. The inlets on the ends are for the water hoses and the inlets on the side are for the transmission.

jsonova99
04-25-2006, 08:56 AM
I know what you're talking about now. I'll pull the hoses and check it out. Does this just feed raw water over to cool the transmission? I'm assuming that this is why it can clog up and cause overheating problems.

Hoff1
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
It's a shell and tube design. The water and transmission fluid don't mix (at least they're not supposed to). The water is fed through tubes, and the transmission fluid is in the shell surrounding the tubes. If you had a leak, I would expect the fluid to look more pinkish.

Now that I think about it, a lot of transmissions can used motor oil as the fluid. Usually more common on the newer ones (I'm guessing), but it's a good possibility that you actually had motor oil in there to begin with. Refilling and draining several times with fresh transmission fluid should get it fairly cleaned up. Don't know why I didn't think about that to begin with.

jsonova99
04-25-2006, 09:11 AM
It's a shell and tube design. The water and transmission fluid don't mix (at least they're not supposed to). The water is fed through tubes, and the transmission fluid is in the shell surrounding the tubes. If you had a leak, I would expect the fluid to look more pinkish.

Now that I think about it, a lot of transmissions can used motor oil as the fluid. Usually more common on the newer ones (I'm guessing), but it's a good possibility that you actually had motor oil in there to begin with. Refilling and draining several times with fresh transmission fluid should get it fairly cleaned up. Don't know why I didn't think about that to begin with.

The first time I flushed it, it was definitely transimission fluid that came out, just nasty and dirty. Same this last time. I'm going to pull all of the cooling lines and check for blockages. No signs of any leaks though which is good. I'll probably replace the lines, too, but I have visitors in this weekend and I'd like to get atleast one day on the lake before I tear it apart and replace everything. Fresh fluid and some cleaned up lines should get me through one day. I'm hoping that it's just dirty from a lack of regular changes and not due to overheating. I'll keep flushing it every few times out or so for the rest of the season as well and see if I start seeing the oil come out cleaner. Thanks for your help