PDA

View Full Version : Jet Skiiers......

Faded & X9-Rated
04-23-2006, 10:33 PM
I hate jet skiiers.. :rant:

Well not all of them, but most.. especially the ones who ride behind you when you're towing someone. Let me tell you the story. This past weekend one of my riders fell about 15 feet off the shore line & as I was on my way to retrieve him when this damn jetskiier flies by, missing him by about 3 or 4 feet! My rider was obviously angry & gave him the 1 finger salute. What blew me away was that the jetskiier got mad at my rider!! We both drove off & went on our way, but damn! At least give him an apology. I'm tired of all these damn jetskiiers! :rant:

6ballsisall
04-23-2006, 10:35 PM
They are a pain in the arse....... Get you a spud gun and keep it int he boat with a 5lbs bag of spuds. That'll keep them away :D

erkoehler
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Unfortunately, it is the same way on the river we ski at....they'll come within an arms reach of you when there is plenty of other water to cruise on. Not only is it freakin scarey but just as dangerous.

Alot of boats do the same thing out there as well! Mainly on the weekends.

roddydog
04-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Well not all of them, but most.. especially the ones who ride behind you when you're towing someone. Let me tell you the story. This past weekend one of my riders fell about 15 feet off the shore line & as I was on my way to retrieve him when this damn jetskiier flies by, missing him by about 3 or 4 feet! My rider was obviously angry & gave him the 1 finger salute. What blew me away was that the jetskiier got mad at my rider!! We both drove off & went on our way, but damn! At least give him an apology. I'm tired of all these damn jetskiiers! :rant:
Chase him down :mad: :mad:

PendO
04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Chase him down :mad: :mad:

I can't ... even with the MCX my boat won't go 50, so I can't keep up with an $8000 jet ski.

sand2snow22
04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
Unfortunately, it is the same way on the river we ski at....they'll come within an arms reach of you when there is plenty of other water to cruise on. Not only is it freakin scarey but just as dangerous.

Alot of boats do the same thing out there as well! Mainly on the weekends.

Yep, real dangerous. Last year at my bachelor party I was pullin' my brother on a surf board and this a$$ pulling his daughters on a tube buzzed the back of our boat. Came way too close. He was drunk as a skunk and ended up being a neighbor at our lake cabin. We were spending "too much time in his bay". Even though we've lived there 20 years longer than he has. Anyway, afterwards he had the gall to walk up onto our deck to discuss why he did what he did. He was trying to "prove a point". Boy I wish you could have seen the look on his face when he walked up the stairs and looked into the eyes of 20 dudes. He ended up stumbling back down the stairs after I told him to leave before he gets hurt......

Faded & X9-Rated
04-24-2006, 12:37 AM
We were spending "too much time in his bay".

Man I hate that! I'm all about sharing the water with other people, hell even responsible jetskiiers, its just when they think they own the water that gets me angry. They're like mosquito's!

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 06:47 AM
It's ashame, I used to have Sea Doo, and I always made it a point to stay as far away from everybody else as possible. Mainly for my own safety so that I didn't get hit by a bigger boat who wasn't paying attention. People are just oblivious until something happens, and all too often it's at the expense of somebody responsible. :mad:

wiltok
04-24-2006, 07:03 AM
As an avid boater, I hear what you guys are saying. I also have been jet skiing for many years (riding a standup since 1987). As obvious as it would seem, many jet skiers don't realize they are creating a dangerous situation by following too close and jumping wakes. I always stop, call them over, and calmly explain what they are doing is dangerous and ask them to be more careful (obviously if my rider was almost hit I would not be so calm). Usually, they are nice about it and keep their distance going forward. I believe it is the nature of the jet ski (relatively cheap to buy, own and trailer) which puts newbies on the water that don't know any better. Worse, they may loan the ski to someone else who has absolutely no watercraft experience.

Leroy
04-24-2006, 07:43 AM
The Indiana DNR agent told me take a picture and if they view it is a dangerous act they will track down and take appropriate action.

ski_king
04-24-2006, 07:49 AM
I bet you wakeboarders really hate them, I bet they love to jump your wake. I know how they love my wake when my boat is at wakeboarding speeds and my wake is small.

What also drives me nuts is how they don't seem to be able to go for more than 100 feet before they do a spinout. It dosn't take long before they have the whole river/lake chopped up. :mad:

Farmer Ted
04-24-2006, 07:52 AM

When I saw the title of this post it reminded me of Full Metal Jacket.....

....all f-ing jetskiers must f-ing die

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 07:53 AM
The Indiana DNR agent told me take a picture and if they view it is a dangerous act they will track down and take appropriate action.

That's a good idea. I've actually only seen jet skis out once or twice where we ski, and they all seem pretty responsible and go off in their own area to do their own thing, so I don't have any complaints, but when I've gone out boating with my parents in southern New Jersey, I've seen some crazy things with people on jet skis. Mostly tourists with little or no boating experience and a belly full of beer. :eek3:

We have a family friend who is a harbor master in Searsport, Maine. They have a big shipping port up there on the Penobscot Bay, and he was telling us about a few jet skiers that were killed when they decided to try jumping the bow wakes of a tanker. Well, sure enough they got sucked under the ship and drowned.

Rockman
04-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Jet Skiers:

Those who could not afford a real boat or those who don't have the mentality to own and operate a vessel which includes more than 1 person.

JRandol...Spud Gun is PERFECT. I would love to start picking them off one by one! :toast:

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 10:54 AM
When we are towing they're not terribly interested in our wakes as higher speeds doesn't leave a whole lot to jump.

When we are cruising and I see some come at us, I bring it right to idle and move along at about 1 mph until they just give up. I always laugh and say to myself, I've got all the time in the world buddy.

6ballsisall
04-24-2006, 10:59 AM
JRandol...Spud Gun is PERFECT. I would love to start picking them off one by one! :toast:

I see a business opportunity for us!! :uglyhamme My F.I.L. owns a less than lethal weapons manufacturing business. Perhaps we can design a new weapon.

We will call it the "Jetski Pulverizing." It will shoot Lazzzzeeeeeeerrr beams at the jetskier and comes with a Magggmmmmaaa attachment which throws liquid hot Magggmmmaa at the rider. Muhhaaahhhaaa Muhhaaahhhaa :uglyhamme

bcampbe7
04-24-2006, 11:00 AM
This is one of the biggest problems that I have on our lake.
The jet skiers on our lake love to follow very close while we are pulling a skier or boarder. It takes quite-a-bit to set me off, but this instantly pi$$es me off! :mad:

Taken the picture is a good idea. I may have to try that.

bcampbe7
04-24-2006, 11:02 AM
I see a business opportunity for us!! :uglyhamme My F.I.L. owns a less than lethal weapons manufacturing business. Perhaps we can design a new weapon.

We will call it the "Jetski Pulverizing." It will shoot Lazzzzeeeeeeerrr beams at the jetskier and comes with a Magggmmmmaaa attachment which throws liquid hot Magggmmmaa at the rider. Muhhaaahhhaaa Muhhaaahhhaa :uglyhamme

Hey, this may not be a bad idea...
They may already have this, but...
Could they develop a weapon that temporarily disables the electronics of the targeted vehicle?
That would be useful! :cool:

bigmac
04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Jet Skis can get boring after awhile, just riding around, so a boat with a reasonable wake pulling a wake board, hydrofoil or tube is a tempting target. Pi$$es me off. My solution as been water balloons with a wrist sling-shot launcher. (http://www.slingking.com/Letterman/letterman_launcher.html) David Letterman seems to enjoy his :D Don't forget to use biodegradable balloons. IMHO, frozen waffles wouldn't work as well.

http://www.slingking.net/art/photo_launcher.gif

6ballsisall
04-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Could they develop a weapon that temporarily disables the electronics of the targeted vehicle?
That would be useful! :cool:

They already have one! Problem is, it will do some serious damage to the jetski fiberglass, and would seriously mame a jetskier if you miss. They do make a very cool paint ball type gun that shoots a large paintball that is completely unremovable. They designed it for the Coast Guard to track cigarrette boats smuggling drugs which are to fast to chase down in the water. They run a black light over the boat and can spot it very easily that way.

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 11:10 AM

I use a version of Archimedes's death ray. ;)

bcampbe7
04-24-2006, 11:11 AM
They already have one! Problem is, it will do some serious damage to the jetski fiberglass, and would seriously mame a jetskier if you miss.....

That's a risk they will have to take when they fire up their jet ski. :D

6ballsisall
04-24-2006, 11:13 AM
That's a risk they will have to take when they fire up their jet ski. :D

lol :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

6ballsisall
04-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Theres always the bean bag shotgun shells..... I can tell you 1st hand that they put enough "hurt" on you to deter you from doing whatever you were doing prior. Course, I think the shooter might have a little issue with the local PD :D

jbfootin
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I have to admite that I have driven a jet ski. They are like a fart...Fun for the person doing it, but annoying to everyone else. :rolleyes:

ajgressette
04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
I have to admite that I have driven a jet ski. They are like a fart...Fun for the person doing it, but annoying to everyone else. :rolleyes:

Well Said!!!! :uglyhamme

tommcat
04-24-2006, 01:08 PM
i have a full auto paintball gun that will be staying in the boat this summer

bigmac
04-24-2006, 01:20 PM
i have a full auto paintball gun that will be staying in the boat this summer

I agree it's tempting, but I'd be real careful about that - cops have no sense of humor about paintball guns.

I know a guy on one of the big resort lakes around here that tried that a few years ago. He shot at and hit a guy on a jet ski. That was followed by the usual hand gestures etc and the jet ski sped off. About 45 minutes later, the boater noted a Sheriff's water patrol bearing down on him. He prudently (and discreetely) dropped the paintball marker overboard, was stopped and searched by the deputy. The jet skier had called it in. It turns out that unsafe jet skiing, when it's unwitnessed, is not as proveable as shooting a paintball marker at a jet skier if the marker is found in the boat. In this case, in the absence of the paintball gun, it was just word against word and involved only some stern words from the deputy. Had he found the paintball gun, it would have been a big deal.

Not to mention that a paintball gun fires the projectile at 300 feet-per-second. I don't want to sound like your mother, but you could put somebody's eye out.....seriously...

Rockman
04-24-2006, 01:41 PM

We'd have to make a spud gun that would shoot "average" size potatoes though.

After a weekend up north with our larger potato launched, the grocery store is quickly out of the larger potatoes.

You think would would know the supply / demand equation by now. :rant:

Rockman
04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
...in the absence of the paintball gun, it was just word against word and involved only some stern words

Aaah! Stern words! Get it!?
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

AirJunky
04-24-2006, 01:47 PM
While we've had our share of problems with jetskiers, we're also seeing a lot of new boat owners around here. And a LOT of them are driving Mastercrafts these days. Money isn't scarce apparantly & their driving big v-drives like the MC X10 or X30. Then when they go by us at 10 mph & throw a 3' roller at us they wonder why we're getting all pissed off. I confronted a guy last year in a big Tige who was totally lit. Then ran into him a few days later after he sobered up & he appologized for being a jerk.

The good news is WA is requiring a boat driver's permit as of this year. All boat drivers have to take the test by June of this year & the man will start to enforce it next year.

projectely4
04-24-2006, 01:49 PM
luckily on our home lake in NJ jetskis are not allowed. waverunners are very fun and i would love to have one but i know if they were allowed on our lake it would be nuts on the weekend with them speeding around and jumping over peoples wakes.

RobertT
04-24-2006, 02:43 PM
We'd have to make a spud gun that would shoot "average" size potatoes though.

After a weekend up north with our larger potato launched, the grocery store is quickly out of the larger potatoes.

You think would would know the supply / demand equation by now. :rant:

Solution = 1 1/2" x 3/4" PVC reducer + 2' of 3/4" pipe with the end sharpened with a belt sander.

Radish cannons are a hoot :headbang:

Rockman
04-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Solution = 1 1/2" x 3/4" PVC reducer + 2' of 3/4" pipe with the end sharpened with a belt sander.

Radish cannons are a hoot :headbang:

That is just too damn funny because that's how our's are at the end!!!

:toast: :headbang: :toast:

Datdude
04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but we have had jet skis since 1987 and they are fun. There is a time and a place for them, and when ridden responsibly are no more annoying than a regular boat. The best time is when the lake is busy and totally useless otherwise.....might as well ride a jet ski and be on the water. To be honest with you I have had more close calls with other morons in regular boats....not jet skis. Unfortunately there are bad apples that ruin it for everyone-which is true with anything. I bet there is a fishing board somewhere where someone is talking shizz about skiers(or wakeboarders and their 3' rollers) and how they are always out early in the morning when they are trying to fish(or something like that). Unless you are on a private lake, you need to share with everyone. If a jet ski or any other boat is doing something that you do not like or is dangerous, the best way to handle it is to flag them down and talk with them. I have done this a number of times and 99% the people are appologetic and just don't know the rules. Jet skis just get a bad name because they are manuverable and that is what makes them fun. If I was on a jet ski on a public lake and I got hit with anything(paintball, water balloon, spud, etc.) there would be a beat down on the way. :uglyhamme Flame away

Cloaked
04-24-2006, 08:36 PM
I am sure I will get flamed for this, but we have had jet skis since 1987 and they are fun. There is a time and a place for them, and when ridden responsibly are no more annoying than a regular boat. The best time is when the lake is busy and totally useless otherwise.....might as well ride a jet ski and be on the water. To be honest with you I have had more close calls with other morons in regular boats....not jet skis. Unfortunately there are bad apples that ruin it for everyone-which is true with anything. I bet there is a fishing board somewhere where someone is talking shizz about skiers(or wakeboarders and their 3' rollers) and how they are always out early in the morning when they are trying to fish(or something like that). Unless you are on a private lake, you need to share with everyone. If a jet ski or any other boat is doing something that you do not like or is dangerous, the best way to handle it is to flag them down and talk with them. I have done this a number of times and 99% the people are appologetic and just don't know the rules. Jet skis just get a bad name because they are manuverable and that is what makes them fun. If I was on a jet ski on a public lake and I got hit with anything(paintball, water balloon, spud, etc.) there would be a beat down on the way. :uglyhamme Flame away:werd:........

bigmac
04-24-2006, 08:52 PM
If I was on a jet ski on a public lake and I got hit with anything(paintball, water balloon, spud, etc.) there would be a beat down on the way. :uglyhamme Flame away

No flames from me. I have nothing against jet skis - I'm just opposed to stupidity behind the wheel of ANY vehicle.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't fire a water balloon at a jet ski unless he was jumping in my wake within the 100' radius that the law requires that he stay away. The whole point is to discourage them from doing anything that might jeopardize the safety of people I'm towing. And yes, I've fired off a few balloons at boats over the years too.

PendO
04-24-2006, 10:37 PM
water balloon, paint ball ... too messy, too many witnesses ... sink their battleship, now that is some funny S!

ajgressette
04-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Clear plastic bags work wonders on jet skis. Just throw out a few doz in the water. Esp. ones about the size of a standard Ice Bag. Onced sucked up into the intake, they go way. :woohoo:

Did I just say that? :headbang:

sand2snow22
04-24-2006, 11:02 PM
water balloon, paint ball ... too messy, too many witnesses ... sink their battleship, now that is some funny S!

I like it, Navy Seal at night and in the morning it's on the bottom of the lake......

skitilldark
04-25-2006, 08:50 AM
I found one way to get them off our backs. One day I was on the slalom when one of them came up behind us. I just waited patiently for them to pass and then turn around heading back towards us. At the last minute, I swung out wide and laid the most beautiful wall of water right into his face. It was magic.

School Skier
04-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Jetski's The Anti Christ of Watercarft!

Doug G
04-25-2006, 11:02 PM
As mentioned there are good and bad in everything, boaters, jetski's etc... I am not anti jetski, but I am very anti aholes on jetski's. (As well as aholes in boats) There should be a hunting season on jetskis using a weapon with a 50 foot range. License fee's go to lake restoration... If they come within 50 feet and are therefore stupid and dangerous it's open season with no bag limit. Can't take out the rider but can take out the jetski. Maybe something like the electronics zappers the cops are experimenting with ... take a couple of ahole boaters / jetskier's out and it will change fast. Mount a few jet discharges over the mantle! Just imagine the stories!

Respect and common sense are all it takes. Those without should be edjumicated!