PDA

View Full Version : good speed for trick skiing? and other trick advice

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-23-2006, 10:37 AM
OK, first time up on the trick skis yesterday in about 15 years. Wow, was that different! :) They are a ride for sure! Heres the funny part. My driver never towed anyone on tricks before, just slalom. so he always goes Full bore on the throttle to get me out of the water on slalom....and he did the same on the tricks! I almost launched out of that lake at full throttle!!!! :eek:
just wondering what speed to go....?..... We were around 20mph. is that too fast or too slow? or in the range?? Any recommendations for trick skis? ideas? tips? advice? I went on my arse twice yesterday. I got out of the wake OK, then lost it trying to cross the wake. Then got back up and tried to turn sideways, just like a banana peel on a ice rink :uglyhamme It was fun. I am looking forward to spending more time with them in warmer weather.

Hoosier Bob
04-23-2006, 11:45 AM
I always thought trick was at 15 mph. I am sure there is a set speed but I only did this for a very short time years ago. It could even be slower?http://waterski.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=waterski&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iwsf.com%2Frules2000%2Frules01 .htm%23Rule%2015%20-%20TRICKS
Looks like it is up to the skier to set the speed! He or she has 20 seconds to do what they can do! I still think it is common around 15 mph.

ski_king
04-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Somewhere around 16 to 18 for me. Above 20 gets real interesting and slippery.

ilikeitglacy
04-23-2006, 12:02 PM
best speed is comfortable speed, i'd say you'll find it in the 16-20mph range depending on your weight and ability. You want your skis to track on the water. If you go to fast and your ski starts gliding you may find the water surface a little bit slippery if you go to slow you'll be trailing to much water. Please excuse my fench. Trick skiing is a really good exercise for balance, keep the handle low (waist height) and bring your inside hip to the handle to turn your body in the direction you wish to go. keep you knees bent and really really soft. Cross the wakes till you can jump both wakes, it addictive and it will help your slalom and barefoot tricks. hey HP you been quiet. maybe your like me, i find it easier to read the pics but no more ;)

04-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I was probably going too fast then. I am really looking forward to doing more trick skiing. :D Thanks! and keep the suggestions coming! :)

Cloaked
04-23-2006, 01:00 PM
best speed is comfortable speed, i'd say you'll find it in the 16-20mph range depending on your weight and ability. You want your skis to track on the water. If you go to fast and your ski starts gliding you may find the water surface a little bit slippery if you go to slow you'll be trailing to much water. Please excuse my fench. Trick skiing is a really good exercise for balance, keep the handle low (waist height) and bring your inside hip to the handle to turn your body in the direction you wish to go. keep you knees bent and really really soft. Cross the wakes till you can jump both wakes, it addictive and it will help your slalom and barefoot tricks. hey HP you been quiet. maybe your like me, i find it easier to read the pics but no more ;)Good words of advice here (above).

In addition, a rule of thumb... if you look down, you'll fall down. Ski by glancing at the horizon but looking at the water usually means catching an edge and a fall.

Also in my opinion, get on one trick and stay there. Much easier and more fun. Two skis leave room for dependency of each other and make the transition to one a bit more cumbersome. Stick to one ski and you'll love it in a few weeks. Keep your head up...

Even 1/2 mph can make a difference in the sweet spoot (speed) that you're looking for, inclusive of the weight in the boat, etc... Find a good tracking speed and enjoy, but the ski must track for control.

04-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Awesome advice Sporty! THanks! I have a rear binding on it to go on one ski. :worthy:

TMCNo1
04-23-2006, 03:02 PM
I was probably going too fast then. I am really looking forward to doing more trick skiing. :D Thanks! and keep the suggestions coming! :)

I always start at 16 and vary the speed according to the trick skier's wishes. Hand tricks are usually around 16 to 16.5 and toehold tricks around 16.5 to 17.5. A good tricker will tell you when you are 1/4 to 1/2 mph off the desired speed during set up to the start bouy before the 20 sec. run. My wife drove tricks and I pulled the trick release when our daughter was training and at tournaments I pulled the trick release during her trick runs.

Remember too, that if you take any hookers skiing, they know a lot of tricks!

wakesport
04-23-2006, 04:04 PM
It really depends on your ski and your weight. For me I like to go 18. I always try and take a trick run in between slalom sets. I too find tricking addicting.

ski_king
04-23-2006, 04:11 PM
slight threadjack/

I havn't heard much about using PerfectPass for trick sking. I assume the wakeboard mode would be what to use.

Too bad this part of the sport seems to be dying. My second favorite event to watch has always been womans tricks.

04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
How bout rope length? any ideas there? standard 75' rope? or is it better to use a different length? :confused:

jraben8
04-24-2006, 08:50 AM
If I remember right mine was about 50-53'. I always wanted to be in the flat table just behind the rooster tail at 18 mph.

wakesport
04-24-2006, 09:00 AM
I usually trick at 20 off (53 feet).

04-24-2006, 09:25 AM
ok, so I shoudl go shorter. I was skiing at my slalom lenght of 15' off. Do you guys go on ONE trick ski or TWO?

TMCNo1
04-24-2006, 09:32 AM
Would use a purchased trick rope and handle, somewhat different construction than slalom/jump/barefoot/kneeboard/wakeboard, to minimize stretch, handle is constructed different with toe-hold strap, pylon/trick release end has a small float so rope end won't sink, so you can recover the end easy and reattach to pylon/trick release. Most trick ropes are around 44' including attached handle. IIRR

Kevin 89MC
04-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I ski often with a very good trick skier. We always use PP, there is a "trick" setting. He likes it either 17 or 17.5, depending on conditions. He can always tell if I have it on the wrong speed. Two ski tricking is relatively easy, slalom not so much. I can cross the wake, but no 360's on the single ski yet. It is fun trying though!

Oh yeah, his rope is real short as well. ~22 or 28 off IIRC.