PDA

View Full Version : Need Bimini Top Help

FLRunner
04-23-2006, 09:47 AM
I live in Florida and have young children and need a top for my ProStar 205. I am not sure of the height and length I should purchase. I want it to cover the driver/passenger row and some of the bow.

Also, can bimini's be left open when driving? I was told anything over 20MPH and they need to be folded down. Not sure if this is true but not really convenient.

With preliminary research I am thinking of getting one from Overton's and the 6' are just under 300 and the 8' is around 380 (for the Sunbrella fabric).

Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated.

6ballsisall
04-23-2006, 09:53 AM
Whoever told you driving over 20mph with one up is bad is blatantly wrong. You should be able to do low 40's all day long with no problem. Now towing the boat behind your tow vehicle with the top up would be a poor choice.....

I just installed the Johnson Bimini top on mine yesterday. I will say it was a little nerve racking drilling into the virgin fiberglass but I am pretty happy with the end results. I will try and get pics up soon.

Sounds like if you want it to cover some of the bow you'll need a custom cover. Johnson Bimini might be your best choice for that.

www.johnsonbimini.com

ematthew
04-23-2006, 01:02 PM
I have one for sale right now if you check the marketplace, and there is a link to the ebay auction with pics. Let me know if you are interested. Shipping is a bit of an issue, but this is a good top which will fit your boat at a reasonable price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4632065588&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

FrankSchwab
04-23-2006, 01:59 PM
I had good luck with GMI Top Design:
http://www.gmitopdesign.com/

projectely4
04-23-2006, 06:55 PM
i think it would be hard to cover part of the bow with the bimini top. most of the ones i have seen are usually just for the driver and passenger area.

east tx skier
04-23-2006, 08:46 PM
FLRunner, welcome.

I have a factory top for my 93 205

The width from mount to mount is 73.75"
The height from deck to the top of the canvas is 25"
The height from mount to the top of the canvas is 17"
The distance from the mounting point on the windshield to the back edge of the windshield is 15".