PDA

View Full Version : Rudder

jsonova99
04-23-2006, 08:11 AM
I've been trying to grease my rudder, but I cannot get any grease in the zerk. Has anybody had any problems like this? I was thinking about trying to replace the zerk, but the small ball bearing in the tip seems to be fine (not seized up). Will rudders fail slowly over time if there is a problem?

TMCNo1
04-23-2006, 09:37 AM
From having replaced my rudder on our '89, I know there are 2 o-rings that seal the port and rudder shaft[1 at the top, 1 at the bottom] and the grease is between the o-rings and the port/shaft clearances are fairly tight. It really doesn't take a whole lot of grease to lube the assembly. Try greasing the fitting real slow to get some grease in the port. Any excess grease will come out the top of the port and out the bottom. Try having someone turn the steering wheel thus turning the rudder in the port while you are greasing it and see if that helps also.

jsonova99
04-23-2006, 03:38 PM
I've tried that, absolutely no grease will go in. It's as if the lever on the grease gun is seized it's so tight. If I squeeze really hard, grease will start coming out of the seams on the grease gun. For some reason the rudder will not take any grease. It seems to work fine though which is what's strange.

sbuell
04-26-2006, 12:37 AM
I've always had the same problem. I took the zerk out and pumped grease through it with no effort. I just lean on the handle of the grease gun and it moves ever so slowly. I make sure to do it at least every spring and it seems to take some of the play out so something must be getting in.

Jerseydave
04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Warm-up your grease gun first (heat gun or hair dryer) this will make the grease "thinner" so it will go into the rudder port easier.

jsonova99
04-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Warm-up your grease gun first (heat gun or hair dryer) this will make the grease "thinner" so it will go into the rudder port easier.

Never thought of trying this. I'll give it a shot.