PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Fell Off!!!!

PapaJoe
04-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Guys---

I am a dumm A$$--- I had some friends drive down from Dallas to Fort Hood... I was surprized and did not expect them.... So, we sat around, and looked at ther boat in the drive way, and decided, the best thing was to hit the lake... Spur of the monent thing.... OK-- I'm always down for that!!!

Well, the day prior, I was sanding, and putting teak oil on the swim platform, getting it ready for the new season... Well, we had to make a quick stop, and I relized, I forgot the pins that secure the platform to the boat... I had one in the glove box, and I thought, it will be fine.... Well, no..... I have learned the hard way, you MUST have bost pins in place before you take the boat out in the water...

After the first run, the platform ripped off the boat... Luckly no damage to the boat... But, the screws did rip out, and I am wondering if just replaceing them with longer screws will work????

Luckly we found the platform, yes they float!!! Guess I have a new project for tomorrow... What's the best way to re-attach the bracket back to the platform???

YES--- I am a Dumm A$$$--- So, please do not remind me.....

JOE

Leroy
04-23-2006, 12:13 AM
Sorry to hear that PappaJoe:o

Guess it isn't clear what came loose, sounds like one bracket was pulled off the boat, but I thought they were attached to a metal plate behind the fiberglass?

erkoehler
04-23-2006, 12:15 AM
It sounds like the teak ripped off the bracket that it is mounted to, and the brackets are fine on the boat, correct?

PapaJoe
04-23-2006, 12:20 AM
Yea... I have both brackets... The one with the pin stayed, the one with out---- Stayed with the platform... So, I looked back behind the boat, all I had left was the one bracket... I know what happened... How it happened... I am lucky... no strached or dings in the boat.... And, we recovered the platform... I Feel like an idiot!!! So, what's the best way to re-screw the bracket back to the platform?? Use longer screws??? All 5 ripped out, and are lost???

JOE

erkoehler
04-23-2006, 12:29 AM
Yea... I have both brackets... The one with the pin stayed, the one with out---- Stayed with the platform... So, I looked back behind the boat, all I had left was the one bracket... I know what happened... How it happened... I am lucky... no strached or dings in the boat.... And, we recovered the platform... I Feel like an idiot!!! So, what's the best way to re-screw the bracket back to the platform?? Use longer screws??? All 5 ripped out, and are lost???

JOE

ICBW, but you may have to go to a slightly larger screw both longer and a bigger diameter.

Leroy
04-23-2006, 12:34 AM
OK, now I understand! I've tried larger screws and they came out also. I ended up using glue, forget if it was gorilla or liquid nails. I think it was gorilla and then a clamp to keep squeeze things together.

Mine wasn't the same, but the platform was just coming apart.

sand2snow22
04-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Papa, I did the same thing to my swim platform yesterday. I feel your pain. I was taking it off by myself and one bracket got stuck.....The screws ripped out of the one that got stuck. I went down to West Marine and got 6 stainless #14 1 1/2 inch screws. They're 1/2 longer and a little wider than the existing #12 1 inch screws and seem to have worked for now.

I found it easiest to put the brackets and platform on the boat, make sure everything lines up and screw them in from the bottom. I tried it with everything on the ground first, but the brackets would not line up when I tried to put the platform on the boat.

Leroy
04-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Oh, PapaJoe, you are not stupid! That was a "honest mistake"

redmike
04-23-2006, 01:04 AM
could have happened to anyone papa, what sand said sounds like what I was gonna write....

Footin
04-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Bummer, I think you will laugh about it in a few months.

SkiDog
04-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Hell, that could have even happened to the 'Great One', TMC#! Must have been a bikini or two involved also! :uglyhamme

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-23-2006, 11:10 AM
I agree, totally honest mistake, could have happend to anyone. I am sure it will happen to me at some point... :o

speaking of swim platforms.....I just cant get the idea out of my mind about building one out of marine plywood and having it covered in Rhino lining(or similar competitor) Man that sounds like a nice idea. I like the teak, it looks beautiful, but the function of that rhino lining sounds so cool. :rolleyes:

LakeZoar32
04-23-2006, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your platform problem. Hope it goes back on OK.
I know it took 2 of us to take ours off. After reading about your problem, We will be sure to be careful and get the platform on correctly. It's a new 209 and I don't want to screw it up.

PapaJoe
04-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks Guys....

I am going to go look for stainless screws today... 1 1/2 inch??? I worked really hard on the thing (platform) two days ago, and got it looking really nice.... Sanding and oiling it... I think I might make a boat check list... Lesson learned, haste makes waste... If I would have just taken a little more time, before we left, I would have thought about it.... I'm just happy we recovered it.... And no damage to the boat...

JOE

Hoosier Bob
04-23-2006, 11:51 AM
I would fill the holes with a marine grade epoxy and drill tap (very small bit). You can still go with bigger screws but you may end up losing it again and having even bigger holes to fill. Make sure the teak is dry!Good luck! :D

flipper
04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/72273/0/0/marinetex/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

Used this stuff on mine, seems to be the best, fill the holes, let it dry for a day, sand it down, drill a small pilot hole, and put the screws back in.

erkoehler
04-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Papa,

I forgot the pins once as well, now I keep two bolts w/ washers in the glove box. Those pins aren't cheap either :(

TMCNo1
04-23-2006, 03:17 PM
Hell, that could have even happened to the 'Great One', TMC#! Must have been a bikini or two involved also! :uglyhamme

Easy on the old man here!

When I leave home to go to the lake for the first time each spring, I make sure I've been screwed and bolted first??????????????????

TMCNo1
04-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Skidog, how about a swim platform made from "Corian" solid surface countertop material, with the slots cut out, the gooves cut in with a router and with a semi smooth surface finish.

Evan Jones
04-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Skidog, how about a swim platform made from "Corian" solid surface countertop material, with the slots cut out, the gooves cut in with a router and with a semi smooth surface finish.

Plenty of color choices! That could be pretty nice. I'd worry about the slipperyness though. Can you put a texture on that material?

PapaJoe
04-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Guys,

I found some #14, 1 1/2 inch stainless screws at Home Depot, and they worked great... They were a little bigger than the original screws, and I used Liqid Nails to assist in the adheasion... No problems with the line up of the brackets... Platform is back on the boat, and ready to go....

JOE

Hope I can attach these pistures....

C:\Documents and Settings\Joe\Desktop\Platform#1

PapaJoe
04-23-2006, 04:56 PM
OK--- How to attach photo???

Anyone???

JOE

Hoosier Bob
04-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I am sure it can be diamond cut for grip but what about the strength from mount to mount? Can it handle the weight? If it can you may have an incredible idea! I am sure it can be made with some kind of structure so it can handle the weight without the support. I would guess it is heavier and weaker than Teak though. Still sounds cool TMC1! You could even have mounts on your back patio that your Corian platform would use to function as a service area for backyard BBQ's! :D Skidog, how about a swim platform made from "Corian" solid surface countertop material, with the slots cut out, the gooves cut in with a router and with a semi smooth surface finish.

sand2snow22
04-24-2006, 12:10 AM
Papa, mine held up today after a hard day on the water and through some rough chop....First nice weekend and everyone was out.....Put a few scratches in it from the surf/wakeboards, oh well....Yours is probably better than new!!

SDmc205
04-24-2006, 02:21 AM
The same exact thing happened to me last year. We reattched it with longer screws and haven't had any problems since. I know some people have used lag bolts and nuts through the other side, but obviously that changes the look of the platform. The joy of boats, if nothing ever went wrong who would have any stories to tell.

sand2snow22
04-24-2006, 02:43 AM
The joy of boats, if nothing ever went wrong who would have any stories to tell.

Uh, huh!! Even on a Mastercraft. Well said....

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Papa, I had some of my screws pull loose on the platform making it difficult to remove. I drilled them out a bit, dried out the holes with mineral spirits, and filled with epoxy and teak plugs before redrilling with the original screws. Has worked like a charm and is easy as can be to get off.

Doug G
05-01-2007, 02:21 PM
One of my pins holding the platform bracket to the boat bracket is broken and the other isn't so happy. Anyone else run in to this? Is it worth using the same pins or just throw in a stainless nut & bolt setup?

Thrall
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
One of my pins holding the platform bracket to the boat bracket is broken and the other isn't so happy. Anyone else run in to this? Is it worth using the same pins or just throw in a stainless nut & bolt setup?

Depends how often you take the platform off. Mine comes off everytime I put it in the garage. If'n it's going to be on all year, just bolt it.

Harvey
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
I had this problem on my 01 Xstar. I actually ended up coutersinking holes on the top and used a stainless thru bolt with a nylon locking washer on the bottom. It was actually very effective and hardly even noticeable. In fact I think I would rather thru bolt it and make a teak plug for the top of the deck than trust the screws again.

JKTX21
05-01-2007, 03:19 PM
Bummer, my buddies teak was ripped off when we were stunt driving last summer. I think we ended up restoring his teak, filling in the holes that were stripped out and drilling some new holes for stainless screws. Good luck.

atlfootr
05-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Did ya take any pictures of the aftermath, to show all :)

C36
05-01-2007, 08:43 PM
OK--- How to attach photo???

Anyone???

JOE

PapaJoe:

Once the image is the right size (see links below) you follow the commands inside the "manage attachments" button under the "Additional Options" box in the "Submit Reply" message window.

More info on this can be found at these two links:

How do I posts pictures and have them appear in the thread?
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/sh...6&postcount=10

Image Editing 101
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=23

Hope this helps. :)

paddy_wood
06-10-2008, 10:42 PM
so i too had a little snaffuu with a swimplatform, but im not sure if i was more or less lucky than you!! I had a senior moment and forgot the pins in the platform and when it popped out it didnt pop out of the brackets at the same time. As one side of the platform came out of the boat bracket the other one (and im guessing at this) stayed in and the twisting pryed the platform away from the boat bracket tearing off one of the aluminum tongues that holds it in place... i feel very stupid about this and rightly so.

i'm having a little bit of trouble finding a replacement bracket (boat side) to solve my dilema.

Any thoughts
Much appreciated
Pwood

('93 prostar 205!!)