PDA

View Full Version : Trailer issues… maybe?

michael freeman
04-22-2006, 10:43 PM
I just bought a new X-30 and noticed when I load the boat on the trailer that the boat slides up the trailer buddy instead of the little V-bunks at the front of the trailer.

So when I go to trigger the trailer buddy thing, it actually lifts the front of the boat off the front V-bunk and really makes for a dramatic hit to get far enough up to trigger the spring that moves the locking bolt into place and secures the boat to the trailer.

I brought this up to the sales man and he kind of looked at it and said that’s okay, but after loading it and seeing the gray plastic trailer buddy thing smeared onto the front of my boat, I am questioning the alignment.

Is this normal and I’m over reacting, or do I have a problem with the fit of this trailer to the boat?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

rodltg2
04-22-2006, 10:51 PM
let me see if im understanding this correctly... once the bow eye locks in to the boat buddy, it pull the boat of the V bunks?

if thats the case i dont think that should be normal... i dont have an x30 but it would seem like too much wieght on it..

Farmer Ted
04-22-2006, 10:55 PM
I just bought a new X-30 and noticed when I load the boat on the trailer that the boat slides up the trailer buddy instead of the little V-bunks at the front of the trailer.

So when I go to trigger the trailer buddy thing, it actually lifts the front of the boat off the front V-bunk and really makes for a dramatic hit to get far enough up to trigger the spring that moves the locking bolt into place and secures the boat to the trailer.

I brought this up to the sales man and he kind of looked at it and said that’s okay, but after loading it and seeing the gray plastic trailer buddy thing smeared onto the front of my boat, I am questioning the alignment.

Is this normal and I’m over reacting, or do I have a problem with the fit of this trailer to the boat?

Thanks for any help,
Mike

so the bow eye is actuating the boat buddy before/with out the boat in V?

With the boat out of the water is it in the V or not?

erkoehler
04-22-2006, 11:13 PM
How deep are you putting the trailer?

Leroy
04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
I have the VRS230 and also have lot of trouble to get the boat up enough to activate the boat buddy, but it doesn't lift off the front V. I would say if there is a gap between the boat and the front V there is a problem. Isn't there some adjustment in the boat buddy?

PendO
04-23-2006, 12:51 AM
How deep are you putting the trailer?

I think erk is on to something, if I have my trailer in too deep it will smear the grey on the hull (because the tail end of the boat is still floating) ... try not having your trailer in the water as deep ... then it will ride up the bunks and not on the boat buddy wedge.

erkoehler
04-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Depending on the ramp, a good rule of thumb is have the top of the fender above the wheel stick out about 1" above the water.

michael freeman
04-23-2006, 09:10 AM
so the bow eye is actuating the boat buddy before/with out the boat in V?

With the boat out of the water is it in the V or not?

Correct, it is not in the V.

I will try leaving the trailer shallow when I load but after it is up and hooked into the boat buddy, I can stick my hand between the hull and the V bunk on the trailer. i.e., the boat buddy is getting crushed.

SkiDog
04-23-2006, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you need to take it back and let the dealer align it better. There should be NO pressure on the boat buddy! Thats not what its there for! You'll be buying a new one before long if that keeps up! :twocents:

PendO
04-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Correct, it is not in the V.

I will try leaving the trailer shallow when I load but after it is up and hooked into the boat buddy, I can stick my hand between the hull and the V bunk on the trailer. i.e., the boat buddy is getting crushed.

can you post a picture of your boat on the trailer out of the water?

michael freeman
04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
can you post a picture of your boat on the trailer out of the water?

I will take one tomorrow and do my best to post it online.

erkoehler
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM
If you need help posting the pic, let me know or just email it to me:

EricKoehler8@hotmail.com

michael freeman
04-24-2006, 09:36 AM
If you need help posting the pic, let me know or just email it to me:

EricKoehler8@hotmail.com

I sent you two low res pictures this morning, if you could post those, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 11:05 AM
When I went from the boat buddy to a regular bow roller, this happened to me. I thickened the bunk wood on my v-block. I don't think the boat buddy is designed to support that much weight.

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 11:43 AM
I sent you two low res pictures this morning, if you could post those, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

No problem, here is the first one of the V-bunk....

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Second pic of the boat buddy....

6ballsisall
04-24-2006, 11:44 AM
uh....... yep, you have a problem......

1984StarsandStripes
04-24-2006, 12:53 PM
What boat buddy are you guys using number 1 or number 2. I have a 1984 and I am going to eliminate the bar ASAP. All I need to do is buy the boat buddy. Thanks!

PendO
04-24-2006, 01:19 PM
wow ... now I get what you are saying ... I thought it was sitting on the V-bunk once it was on the trailer (dry) ... but clearly it is not ... I wonder if they can adjust the boat buddy, or where the "mistake" is ?

SkiDog
04-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Your dealer SHOULD be able to fix this. I am really surprised that the factory let this get by without them seeing it and repairing it! :confused:

Evan Jones
04-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks like you (or the dealer) could just use thicker carpeted blocks on the v-bunks to give you a little extra height.

SkiDog
04-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Those blocks should be thicker, but not the carpet. The carpet will not
provide enough support.

AirJunky
04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Yea, looks like the V bunk isn't tall enough to support the boat when it's up to the Buddy. Tell your dealer this isn't normal.

The only "adjustment" of any kind for the Boat Buddy is that you can pivot it up or down so it catches the bow ring easily. You do this by just pushing it up or down & it'll move on it's axis bolt. The Buddy is not designed to support this much weight, but to secure the bow ring so the boat doesn't slide down the bunks when your driving up/down the ramp.

Sodar
04-24-2006, 04:45 PM
You can do two things to fix this... I had a similar problem after reassembling my trailer. I found that if you put a spacer between the bracket and the bunk, or use a 2x6 rather than the 1/2'' peice of plastic that comes OEM, it lifted the bow up about an inch to remove the pressue off the boat buddy. You must be careful not to put too much pressure of the V-bunk though...

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 04:58 PM
That plastic stuff that came stock did a number on my boat when it cracked and failed. Much happier with my thick wood blocks. If it's a new boat, take it to the dealer and make sure they do you right.

michael freeman
04-24-2006, 09:48 PM
It is brand new (I picked it up last week). I brought it to the attention of the sales man, but was told that was normal. :( Hopefully I will not have any issues getting the problem corrected.

I plan on taking it to them tomorrow along with a few other things that I found wrong with the boat.

Once again, thanks for the help. :worthy:

PendO
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
It is brand new (I picked it up last week). I brought it to the attention of the sales man, but was told that was normal.

what a jack-donkey

east tx skier
04-25-2006, 09:57 AM
It is brand new (I picked it up last week). I brought it to the attention of the sales man, but was told that was normal. :( Hopefully I will not have any issues getting the problem corrected.

I plan on taking it to them tomorrow along with a few other things that I found wrong with the boat.

You're in DFW, right?

SkiDog
04-25-2006, 02:43 PM

Tell that salesman that when he gets fired for saying STUPID things like that are normal, the Bayliner dealer down the street is hiring dunces like him!

pilot02
04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
What boat buddy are you guys using number 1 or number 2. I have a 1984 and I am going to eliminate the bar ASAP. All I need to do is buy the boat buddy. Thanks!

Get the 2, the 1 is smaller (3/8 pin vs 1/2) and won't hold up as well

Ric
04-25-2006, 04:01 PM

that is not normal and needs modification asap
I can see the winch support breaking or the hull stressing if you tow very far at all like that. NOT good

G-man
04-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Your boat buddy shouldn't have to squish in to accept the bow eye. It is possible they put a short bow eye on the boat. I would ask the dealership to at least put the boat on another trailer to check fit. If the other trailer is better have them refile your paperwork and take the better fitting trailer. It can be done, it's a pain for the dealership but it can be done. If there is enough black on your boat maybe a black trailer. For the money spent that is unacceptable. If the dealership won't work with give the MC customer relations guy a call. They will want to work this out.

PendO
04-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Tell that salesman that when he gets fired for saying STUPID things like that are normal, the Bayliner dealer down the street is hiring dunces like him!

hey, the bayliner dealer in my area is next to the MC dealership as well ... funny.