PDA

View Full Version : Skiing in Tennessee

LakeZoar32
04-22-2006, 06:58 PM
I would like to know what the lakes are like in eastern Tennessee.

Put my dock in the water last week but I'm getting tired of waiting so long for the warm weather. :wavey:

Cloaked
04-22-2006, 09:50 PM

Put my dock in the water last week but I'm getting tired of waiting so long for the warm weather. :wavey:I live on Watts Bar Lake in East TN. PM me if you'd like to chat over the telephone. There are other lakes here as well.

Buy_Low
04-23-2006, 02:08 AM

Put my dock in the water last week but I'm getting tired of waiting so long for the warm weather. :wavey:

Where in Eastern TN? If you're up in the tri cities area Lake Boone isn't bad. There are lots of places around Knoxville. Just stay off the river near the stadium, pretty dirty there.

feydakin
04-23-2006, 12:54 PM
I've already been out on Fort Loudon several times this year (w/wetsuit). This is what the TN river widens out to become a lake (along w Lake Tellico).

Lakes almost at full pool. Going to Norris next weekend for some wakeboarding bliss ... here's to good weather!

LakeZoar32
04-23-2006, 01:40 PM
The lakes here are still less than 60. Hope to get the boat out this week when the rain stops. :rolleyes:

Looking to relocate and have a permanent home on a lake with a little warmer climate.

Norris
04-24-2006, 10:04 AM
I've already been out on Fort Loudon several times this year (w/wetsuit). This is what the TN river widens out to become a lake (along w Lake Tellico).

Lakes almost at full pool. Going to Norris next weekend for some wakeboarding bliss ... here's to good weather!
Norris water temp was 66 in the river channels and 70 in the coves this past weekend.
Air temp was 74 Sat 4/22 and Sun 4/23. Water level is near summer high (1020) at 1017!!
Water went up 5 feet Saturday night!

Prostar19
04-24-2006, 11:21 AM
Norris is awesome. We just got the ski course in with all new balls and baot guides last weekend. Water was around 70 in most spots and since the people from Ohio are not coming down yet the water is glass.
We have a place up in Big Creek. If you see a MC at a dock up there just pull in. We have a friendly group of owners up there.

Loudon is ok this time of year but we stop going there after Memorial day. Just gets too busy. Except during the week.

Tellico is also nice with clear water but is very busy after Memorial day.

Tennesseeski
04-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Douglas lake around Jefferson/Sevier counties is nice also. The water is still a bit cool and still coming up, but in a couple more weeks it will be right.

feydakin
04-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Anyone going to be on Norris this weekend (28-30th)? Norris is about as good as it gets in TN.

We'll be in the Sharp's Chapel area on the east side of the lake. If you see me in the black mamba give me a shout (you know it's bad when you name your boat) ...

nick

Prostar19
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I will not be there this weekend but will be there next weekend.Be around the Big Creek/Sequoyah area close to the ski course. We may be able to sneak up later Saturday for a while but more than likely next weekend.

TMCNo1
04-26-2006, 12:14 PM
I will not be there this weekend but will be there next weekend.Be around the Big Creek/Sequoyah area close to the ski course. We may be able to sneak up later Saturday for a while but more than likely next weekend.

The powers that be, won't allow Prostar19 on the lake, but for short periods at a time when the people from Ohio are there so they can use him to scare them back home, much like a scarecrow in a corn field. He's one of them that stands up while driving the boat, wears combo skis while tubing, attaches catfish trot lines to slalom bouys and plays Afro-America Southern Gospel music on his bad azz jambox he has hanging from his ladder rack, the Ohio people only stay when the cheap batteries go dead that he buys at Dollar Tree. They even pull off to the side of the road when they see him towing his boat with that 1965 Ford handicap school bus. :D

Prostar19
04-26-2006, 02:12 PM
You nailed it :dance:

captain planet
04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Norris is awesome. We just got the ski course in with all new balls and baot guides last weekend. Water was around 70 in most spots and since the people from Ohio are not coming down yet the water is glass.
We have a place up in Big Creek. If you see a MC at a dock up there just pull in. We have a friendly group of owners up there.

Loudon is ok this time of year but we stop going there after Memorial day. Just gets too busy. Except during the week.

Tellico is also nice with clear water but is very busy after Memorial day.
There is a group of us that go down to Norris every year and we usually park the house boat near one of the courses. For two years we were given permission to use the jump but we haven't seen it in the water for a number of years now. Have they given up on having the jump or is there any chance of it being in the water anytime soon?

Prostar19
04-26-2006, 04:37 PM
We sold the jump a few years ago. It was too big of liability. Where do you rent the house boats from? Sequoyah? Do you park in the cove behind the ski course? IF so I know I have seen you at sometime. Let me know when you are coming down and we can hook up. LOts of MC people around that area.

captain planet
04-26-2006, 05:21 PM
We sold the jump a few years ago. It was too big of liability. Where do you rent the house boats from? Sequoyah? Do you park in the cove behind the ski course? IF so I know I have seen you at sometime. Let me know when you are coming down and we can hook up. LOts of MC people around that area.
We rent from Powell Valley. We started renting from them about 10 years ago or so. Super nice people at Powell. We make it a tradition on the first day of hooking up about 3 or 4 boats, opening a few "lake pops",and dragging them all the way from Powell valley down past Sequoyah to either the course around the corner from seq. or to the course down by the dam. Last time we were there we had my 98 stars and stripes, an X-80, an X-9 and an X-Star. That was about 3 summers ago. Four out of four couples in the group having children has slowed down our trips to Norris a little, but we hope to get there next year for a week.

We met a guy that has an older S+S that docks out of Seq. They call him "wild Bill". Super nice guy. We try to meet up with him every year we go down there. One year someone tore up the course and we helped him drag it out with his little fishing boat and get it to shore so he could repair it. Super nice people at Seq. One of the couples in our group has moved to Knox. and has gotten to know some of the owners at Seq. and I would be willing to bet that we get our houseboat from there next time down.

TNH2oSkier
04-26-2006, 06:00 PM
I am on Tellico and Ft. Loudon quite a bit. Trying to make Norris a few times a year. WHere is the slalom course on Norris? We have only been to Norris once since moving here a couple of years ago. I always have room for another slalom skier.

Jeff

captain planet
04-27-2006, 10:40 AM
I am on Tellico and Ft. Loudon quite a bit. Trying to make Norris a few times a year. WHere is the slalom course on Norris? We have only been to Norris once since moving here a couple of years ago. I always have room for another slalom skier.

Jeff
There are two, unless they have removed one of them.
One slalom course is just to the north of the Dam in a cove to the right. The other one is kind of hidden. If you pull out of Sequoyah and follow the lake to the left (south) you will eventually come to a point where you can go either continue south toward the dam, or turn to the north. When you turn to the north there is a cove just past some power lines that cross the lake that is on the left. There is a course in that cove. It is a bit tricky to find and is kind of shielded from the open water. This course is a little better than the one by the dam. The course by the dam is open to the channel and if people are driving by you have to contend with rollers for a while.

Prostar19
04-27-2006, 11:15 AM
We pulled the one at the dam out a few years ago. No one wanted to maintain it and we really used it as a decoy to keep people from looking for the other course. The Big Creek course is in with all new balls and boat guides. It may be a little crooked due to the water coming up so fast.

Prostar19
04-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Sequoyah has some nice people and nice house boats. We are there almost every Friday night for wing and Carona night. Usually have 6 or more MC's tied up out front. We moved down from Dayton about 10 years ago and just love it here.

92 190 PS
04-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Sequoyah has some nice people and nice house boats. We are there almost every Friday night for wing and Carona night. Usually have 6 or more MC's tied up out front. We moved down from Dayton about 10 years ago and just love it here.
Not to let all the secrets out, but there a great cove just past the course in Big Creek off to the left...We've been up there several times when we've rented house boats from Sequoyah. No wake from the main channel.

Prostar nice move from Dayton to Knoxville. What a lake this is in your back yard. Norris is one of the finest lakes I've ever seen....In Dayton the picken's are slim...Pretty much the Ohio River or nothing unless you drive to Tenn, or you want to get killed on Ceaser's, Indian Lake or something like that...

captain planet
04-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Yea, the course near the dam was OK, until you had people running up and down the lake. We parked by that course for two years to use the jump.

A good friend of mine moved down there and he and his wife used to go to Sequoyah on Fridays. He usually has an X-Star, or an X-10. I don't know if he has been there for the last year or so, busy with family and work, but we keep wanting to get to to Sequoyah with him, he says it is a lot of fun.

We will be down that way in early June, but I don't know if we'll get to Norris. Probably will hit Tellico lake or Ft. Louden for a day or so.

I plan on getting in a footin run this weekend on our mud-puddle in Ohio. ;)

Prostar19
04-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Shoot me an email when you come down I live close to Ft Loudon Lake. Love to hook up. I have had many a footn' run on good old Ceasar's Creek in Ohio. It was a puddle

dog paw
04-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Norris is a awesome lake! Stayed at mountan lake ?? (down by the dam) last year. Going down this year with the Sea doo bunch. Going to try Shanghai (sp?) this year. Glad to see the water level come back to normal. Some of the pics I saw this winter looked pretty bad.

Prostar19
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
dog paw, they always drop Norris that much over the winter. It just came up almost 10 feet the last 2 weeks. About a foot away from summer pool. Shanghi is nice but over run with BU's :eek:

dog paw
04-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Shanghi is nice but over run with BU's :eek:

LOL! Yeah there probably going to be looking for better company the second week in may when a couple hundred sea doos run em out :D Dont worry your hideouts are safe with me :toast: I dont think mountan lake is as fancy as Shanghi but daym they had some good feed at that little snack bar at the marina. Good people..

Prostar19
04-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Sequoyah has just built a new marina which is a double decker like Shanghai. Great breakfast and a damn good "Texas Burger"

Norris
04-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Sequoyah has just built a new marina which is a double decker like Shanghai. Great breakfast and a damn good "Texas Burger"

Don't forget the ice cold beer!! :worthy: ;)

captain planet
04-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Shoot me an email when you come down I live close to Ft Loudon Lake. Love to hook up. I have had many a footn' run on good old Ceasar's Creek in Ohio. It was a puddle
Ceasar's Creek, isn't that to the northeast of Cincy off I-71? If it is the Lake I am thinking of, yea, it's a puddle. You can do about what, 2 tumble turns and then have to shut it down?
Berlin Res. isn't much better, but it is the 2nd. largest inland lake in Ohio. 15 miles end to end. It's always so depressing when we return to Berlin after a week on Norris, but it's our lake and we have a good time there.

92 190 PS
04-27-2006, 05:36 PM
Ceasar's Creek, isn't that to the northeast of Cincy off I-71? If it is the Lake I am thinking of, yea, it's a puddle. You can do about what, 2 tumble turns and then have to shut it down?
Berlin Res. isn't much better, but it is the 2nd. largest inland lake in Ohio. 15 miles end to end. It's always so depressing when we return to Berlin after a week on Norris, but it's our lake and we have a good time there.

Ceasar's creek is about 2800 acres and it is just off 71 near Wilmington. Not so much the lake that is a drag it's all the jet ski's, fishermen and motor heads that migrate there. I don't know about you, but footing there most hours of the day is just crazy talk :noface: ....I stay away from most of the lakes around this area.

captain planet
04-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Ceasar's creek is about 2800 acres and it is just off 71 near Wilmington. Not so much the lake that is a drag it's all the jet ski's, fishermen and motor heads that migrate there. I don't know about you, but footing there most hours of the day is just crazy talk :noface: ....I stay away from most of the lakes around this area.
Berlin is the same way on the weekends. WAY too many PWC's on Berlin. I get up earlier on the weekends to go skiing and footing than I do during the week to go to work. :confused: You will usually see the same hand-full of inboards in the morning pulling footers and skiiers on Berlin. It's usually good till about 9:30 or 10:00, then forget it. Put the suits and ski away and pull out the "lake-pops" :toast:

Crash
10-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Best place to ski and stay in Tennessee?

We're looking to book a vacation next year and TN has popped up on our radar. Love Table Rock Lake and some of the coves on KY Lake but wanted to try something new next summer. I see TVA has a lot of waterways. Which waterway's would a fellow MC owner recommend (I assume we all want glass water)?

We'll also be looking for a cabin to rent for ~15 people, any recommendations?

Jesus_Freak
10-15-2007, 03:22 AM

We're looking to book a vacation next year and TN has popped up on our radar. Love Table Rock Lake and some of the coves on KY Lake but wanted to try something new next summer. I see TVA has a lot of waterways. Which waterway's would a fellow MC owner recommend (I assume we all want glass water)?

Very nice lakes here in the East, but many are down...WAY down. South Holston is one of my favorites, but it is too low. Yes, we all want glass. You will only find that at <7AM on a week day. :)

Leroy
10-15-2007, 08:36 AM
Don't say that JF! Sounds like my lakes there.

Anyone ski Melton Hill lake near the dam? I grew up 10 minutes from the dam and never seems to be many boats there. I've seen people skiing below the dam several times.

Very nice lakes here in the East, but many are down...WAY down. South Holston is one of my favorites, but it is too low. Yes, we all want glass. You will only find that at <7AM on a week day. :)

TNH2oSkier
10-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Melton hill is nice to ski on, there is a course upstream from the dam. It even has no wake sign to educate the general public and pwc'ers. I'm not sure about the water level, as we havent made it to Melton Hill this year.

For cabins your best bet will be Norris, but I'm not sure how tmuch water there will be come next year if we dont get any rain.

KnoxX2
10-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Norris is the place to go (I think) here in East Tn.
Clean water and there are always places to find calm water.

I was just up there yesterday and the lake is realy down. The ramp I use is now unuseable. I have talked to a few people who have lived there all their lives and have said that the lake will be back up in the spring. I think that we just need rain.

I would not worry though I would say you could book now and get a discount. Just ask if they are still able to launch boats. This will tell you if they have a deep ramp.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Crash
10-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Based on how many waterways there are in TN, I honestly expected more responses. Thank you for replying. We'll start our search at Norris Lake! Thanks TT

sunsational
10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Dale Hollow Lake and Center Hill lake are great options as well.

ShamrockIV
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
where u located? Center Hill is one of if not the best lake in TN. It is about an hour west of knoxville!!

pm me if u want to ski down this way!!!

Prostar19
10-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I have a friend with a place on Norris. http://www.vrbo.com/127395. Still place to launch boats near the house.
The ski course is a few minutes away and you can usually find good water there. If you are looking for good water stay away from Deerfield. It is crowded up there unless you go really far upstream.

godbeys
07-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Going to Norris for first time this August, staying near Flat Hollow Marina. Is there a course anywhere close?

KnoxX2
07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
The only course that I know of is up in Big Creek area. If you are coming from Sequoia it will be on the right before you go through the S curve to get to Big Creek. Hope this helps!!!

ski/hunt
07-13-2010, 10:17 PM
You will love Norris!! The better of the two courses that I know of is near twin cove marina which is in the cove creek area. Long way from flat hollow. I don't know the Powell river portion of the lake at all. The other course I know of is in the big creek area but it needed some help still at the 4th, that would be closer but half the course was under water. Good luck enjoy!!

uncleboo
07-15-2010, 02:15 AM

You can't go wrong with Center Hill or Tims Ford Lake--both are in Middle TN. You can rent cabins on both lakes that will accomodate that many folks, water depths are at normal summer pool levels, no ramp issues, great coves for skiing/hanging out, deep (100 ft plus) and clear water (as long as it doesn't rain the night before), and there are multiple slalom courses on both lakes.

dkennx2
08-13-2010, 11:28 PM
We ski and Wakeboard on Cherokee Lake. I have been on most of the lakes in east Tennessee and you can't go wrong really at any of them. South Holston, Boone, Cherokee, Norris, Douglas, Fort Loudon, Milton Hill, Center Hill in middle Tennesse ,& Watauga lake(very clean lake).