PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Grease Fitting

aerojt
04-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Quick question-

I was using the grease gun (Manual), and I was applying grease to the fitting above the rudder. The manual says 2 pumps, but it was very difficult to do. So I applied so pressure with my grease gun, and it finally came out above the rudder. Is that ok? Im asking if the having to force the grease in is normal. It seemed like it wouldn't take.....Thats it for now, thanks a lot everyone!

-JT

Footin
04-22-2006, 04:48 PM
My guess is the zerk fitting was a little gunked up, if it came out around the shaft you should be fine. (I could be wrong)

JB3
04-23-2006, 03:07 PM
I had the same issue with mine, but I think that it is normal. You have to push the grease through the channels of the rudder and are probably pushing old grease out the bottom. When the new grease comes out the bottom, you should be finished.

jsonova99
04-23-2006, 03:29 PM
I just posted about a similar issue, but I can't get any grease in period. The harder I squeeze, the grease starts coming out of the seams of the grease gun. Should I just keep trying hoping that it will eventually break free?

ski_king
04-23-2006, 04:20 PM
Does the rudder box have seals on both top and bottom? I am sure the bottom is sealed or the water could leak into the boat.
If both top and bottom are sealed you could blow the seals by overfilling.

The rudder assembly (http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DISC-RPTNSLOTASS ) that skidim sells refers to seals (plural) and orings which I inturput as sealed both top and bottom.

Hopefully someone who has more knowledge can chime in, but I would be carefull in forcing grease into the rudder box.

TMCNo1
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
The rudder port has 2 o-ring in grooves inside it, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom, the grease fitting is between the 2 o-rings and filling what little clearance there is between the rudder port and the rudder shaft with grease, not only lubes the shaft but adds additional seal against water getting into the bilge through the rudder assembly. Naturally, the older the boat the more the o-rings may be worn and the more grease you can pump, but it will only come out under the tiller arm inside the bilge or out the bottom at the rudder/port in the hull.

prostar205
04-24-2006, 01:17 AM
I just installed the '06 rudder on my '02 X30 and tried to pump grease into the rudder port thru the zerk fitting. It would only take 2 pumps - max. After that is came out the bottom.

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 06:16 AM
I can't get any grease in the zerk. It just squirts out the sides and if I squeeze hard enough out of hte grease gun threads itself. I'm wondering if there could be somehting blocking the grease from getting in? I mean as soon as I hook the gun up to the zerk, the handle on the grease gun is practically locked, you cannot squeeze any grease out.

Tom023
04-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Try replacing the zerk and see if that fixes the problem, it could be frozen. If that doesn't work it may be time to pull the rudder and clean everything out.

jsonova99
04-24-2006, 08:17 AM
I tried getting the old one off, but had no luck. I started rounding if off the more I tried. I guess I could go in with vise grips, but I didn't want to totally destroy it in case it wasn't the problem.