PDA

View Full Version : MP3 hookup question.......

rabooze
04-21-2006, 08:01 AM
Anyone know of a way to rig up a connection for an Ipod/MP3 to an existing stereo, i.e. the factory stereo in an '02 PS 209? I know this is an option on the new baots, but not familiar with how it all works. Thanks! :confused:

Leroy
04-21-2006, 08:05 AM
If you do not have audio in jack then you are stuck using a FM wireless gadget.

Tom023
04-21-2006, 09:56 AM
If it's an Clarion XMD1, you can use the CD changer multi-pin connector. I did it this winter (slight variation of what is shown) and it works great, although you really need the Belkin charger with adjustable volume control to increase the output of the ipod so it's closer to that of the radio...just in case you change sources without adjusting the volume. I believe there are instruction in a thread on here, I got them off the Natique forum.

http://www.planetnautique.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=40

east tx skier
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Does anyone who has the i-roadtrip know if the waterproof jacket for the ipod video will make it too big to fit in the i-roadtrip cradle? Seems as if I could just plug that into the power port in my dash (right above the radio), and be good to go.

mtripper
04-21-2006, 10:05 AM
I replaced my xmd1 with a xmd3 to get the aux in for my ipod. It's a drop in replacement, even the wiring harness it the same. Picked it up cheap from ebay.

RobertT
04-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I agree that the best thing to do is to replace the head unit with one that has auxiliary inputs. The added advantages far outweigh the slight added cost when you consider how cheap they are on ebay.

At that point, all you need to do is buy a RCA to headphone cord. Monster Cable makes the best, but pricey. You can get away with the cheaper ones that are much less expensive.

When you plug them into the aux in connections on the back of the head unit, tape them together with electrical tape to prevent things getting pulled apart and to prevent corrosion.

I bought a 10' cord, and ran it to under my dash. On my boat, the heater hose runs through so I just followed that path. Only took a few seconds.

Although you can simply plug into your ipod or any other MP3 player with that, I strongly suggest taking it a step farther.

I found the power feed going to my 12v power port (cigarette lighter thingy). While at Radio Shack, I bought a 12v power plug with a short section of wire attached. In other words, its the female part of a cigarette plug with a foot of wire attached. They are like three bucks.

I exposed the wires going to the stock power port and connected the aftermarket power port by soldering the connections. You could certainly use crimp on connectors, but I like having a bomber soldered connection on a boat.

I then had a power port under my dash, and the end of the aux in cable right next to it.

Buy the Belkin car kit if you have an ipod.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=149006

Dont be cheap, go ahead and buy it.

I took the Belkin unit, and plugged it into the power port that I had just added and taped the combo together with electrical tape. If you dont, it will wiggle loose.

I then plugged the cable from the head unit into the Belkin unit, and wire tied it up under the dash out of the way.

Next, I pulled my cup holder out next to the throttle and made the hole in the bottom just big enough to push the end of the Belkin cord through. This is the thing that actually connects to the ipod.

I ran the wire behind the side panel and up through the drink holder bottom.

End result, I have just that connector exposed, nothing else.

Put a cd in and get the volume where you normally listen to. Next, connect your Ipod to your new connector and turn the volume on the Ipod all the way up or close to it.

This is important. Now reach under the dash and turn the volume control on the Belkin adapter until the volume coming from your speakers is as close as possible to what the CD was playing at. Now everything is in sync, and you wont blow a speaker switching back and forth.

If you are worried about your Ipod getting wet (mine has not), you can buy a Pelican box that is just bigger than your ipod and cut a hole for the wire and plug. Again, I use mine almost every day and my ipod has not gotten appreciably wet yet but my boat layout might be different.

If you want to take it to the next level, buy a Y connector and run yet another 15' cord with a headphone jack into your glove box or anywhere else. This is perfect for a few different scenarios.

1. A friend brings their MP3 player over and its not an Ipod. You can still play their music and they can control it from the observers seat or leave it in the glove compartment.

2. You are out kicking it on the lake with the family and friends, and your little ones start getting antsy. I have a little pelican box with one of those $120.00 portable DVD players with a few DVDs in it. If we are going to be out all day or at night, and plan on just sitting anchored in a cove, we throw it in. You can put the dvd player up on the motor cover and run your wire over to the DVD player and the kids can sit in the back seat and watch Shrek with full surround sound. Sounds like a sacrilege to watch movies on your boat, but if it keeps the kids quiet and content while the rest of us swim around and enjoy ourselves....trust me its worth it.

Just a few ideas, and the total install time is less than one hour.

rt

Tom023
04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
What are the added benefits an XMD3 gives over an XMD1? I'm not familiar with the XMD3. Total cost for making an adapter for the XMD1 was about $15. If you add the Belkin adapter count on another $40 but it sounds like you need it for the XMD3 as well. Most of the XMD3 units I saw on eBay were about $140 including shipping.

Cousin_Jeff
04-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Mtripper, when you put the XMD3 in, did the origninal remote control for the XMD1 work with the XMD3? I have the XMD1 with the wired remote that is NOT the LCD display. I considered replacing with the XMD3 but didn't know if the remote would work with both.

RobertT
04-21-2006, 01:36 PM
I don't remember to be honest...but what I outlined above is definitely NOT the cheapest way, just a very functional way to upgrade your boat.

Definitely a few hundred dollar investment, no doubt.

I can also add that I have never seen an FM modulator that was worth horse crap. Some may have had luck with them, but the difference of a hard wired system is appreciable.

Tom023
04-21-2006, 01:40 PM
I was hoping for something like MP3 capability but couldn't even find the unit on Clarion's website. The XMD3's aux input definitely makes it an easier installation and you don't need th separate switch to flip it to "ipod mode".

east tx skier
04-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Even though I have an ipod now, I still plan on just using my tuner/cd player's MP3 capability. Just rip a bunch of mp3s to a cd, toss it in there, and leave it for the season.

Easiest thing ever.

rabooze
04-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Is the XMD3 the same size as the XMD1, meaning I will have to make no alterations to the opening in the glove box? Thanks for all the help.

mtripper
04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Yup, they are the same size. This was the reason I picked it. You unplug all the cables in the back, pop off the two side brackets on the front to access the mounting screws, switch decks, plug all the cables back in, and you are done. Nice and easy. There are a couple extra cables coming out the back of the 3 and one pair of these are the aux in I use for the ipod.

mtripper
04-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Mtripper, when you put the XMD3 in, did the origninal remote control for the XMD1 work with the XMD3? I have the XMD1 with the wired remote that is NOT the LCD display. I considered replacing with the XMD3 but didn't know if the remote would work with both.

The remote from the xmd1 does work just fine with the xmd3. I didn't even use the wiring that came with the xmd3 but re-used everything from the xmd1. It's probably a 10 minute job, if that. I have that same remote and it works great. I didn't go with the cmd4 because it's not the same size but taller and narrower.

mtripper
04-25-2006, 10:27 AM
What are the added benefits an XMD3 gives over an XMD1? I'm not familiar with the XMD3. Total cost for making an adapter for the XMD1 was about $15. If you add the Belkin adapter count on another $40 but it sounds like you need it for the XMD3 as well. Most of the XMD3 units I saw on eBay were about $140 including shipping.

The xmd3 has an aux in with two rca connections. I just use a cable with 2 rca connectors on one side and a 1/8" stereo connector on the other into the headphone jack of the ipod. I think it was less then $10 at radio shack. No other adapters required. I run this through the channel under the walkthrough and use velcro to attach it under the dash when not in use. When I use it I just put the ipod in the cupholder. I learned all this stuff and got the ideas on this board.

rabooze
04-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I just ordered and XMD3 from Ebay. I have Sirius right now and have been moving the adapter to and from, so I will set this up on the new stereo as well. I assume it is a lot like setting up one of the receivers where all I have to do is call Sirius and tell them the SID.

BeavenX5
04-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Does anyone who has the i-roadtrip know if the waterproof jacket for the ipod video will make it too big to fit in the i-roadtrip cradle? Seems as if I could just plug that into the power port in my dash (right above the radio), and be good to go.

I got the cradle i-roadtrip for a few days but it was too large for my car and was in the way for the shift stick. I returned it to the store and god the smaller i-trip with a wire going from the lighter plug to the ipod jack and with the FM modulator in between. To answer your question, it did fit in the craddle but not easily. I had to play with it a little to get it in. My waterproof jacket is made of some kind of rubber with only a small openning for the bottom jack.
You should try it for yourself at the store before buying it. It is tight.