PDA

View Full Version : Oil???

aerojt
04-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Well its me again everybody, I checked the FAQ and didn't notice anything regarding this. What type of synthetic is safe to run in the 351 Engine in my '93? I know what the engine calls for, but what does everyone run on here. Thanks a lot, this forum has been great help.

-JT

tommcat
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
any brand of synthetic is fine. i'm partial to amsoil when i do run a synth oil such as in my snowmobiles. that being said i still dont run it in my boat or truck.
the boat just got Valvoline VR1 20W50

Hoff1
04-21-2006, 09:46 AM
I’m not going to get into what’s safe or recommended, but I’ve been using Mobil 1 15W-50. I’ve been using synthetics in my boat and Jeeps for years. I’ve always stayed with Mobil.

starman205
04-21-2006, 11:01 AM
I have a 93' PS205 and have always run Mobil 1, 15-50W with no problems. :wavey:

Footin
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
I also run Mobil 1 in my 94 205. I put on about 50 to 60 hours per year so the dollar difference for the oil change is not that much.

I will buy it when it's on sales for about $4 a quart so the oil change is only about 10 more than dino oil. Not much extra for the piece of mind once a year.

I also use Mobil 1 synthetic trans fluid in the transmission.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-21-2006, 12:45 PM
If I were to change my own oil in the boat, this is what I would use..:o For now, it gets whatever the dealer uses....
Amsoil 15W-40 (https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx)

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil (AME) is a premium diesel oil providing excellent performance in all types of diesel engines where highly effective control of wear and deposits is vital. Built with heavy-duty dispersant/detergent additives, its 12 TBN chemistry neutralizes acids and controls soot thickening from EGR and blow-by to protect against corrosion, cylinder bore polishing (wear) and varnish/sludge deposits. AMSOIL AME resists heat and breakdown better than conventional petroleum oils for long lasting performance and protection.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine.

JimN
04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
Personally, I would trust an independent test over an ad. Yeah, yeah, I know there are people out there who swear by every oil under the sun but the most important thing is that it meets the requirements and is kept clean. Some filters are better with anti-siphon than others, too.

There was a link to a filter test a while back and it listed the ones that were worth buying and the ones that weren't. I would imagine that it could be found through google. Fram was specifically dumped on in every test.

A friend of mine has a shop in the PHX area and worked for GM in V8 Powertrain development for about 25 years. He recommends AC filters because they filter well, don't bypass too early and have good anti-siphon characteristics. I went with his recommendation and haven't had a problem. I use Valvoline Dura Blend and have for a long time. Easier/quieter starts in winter, better mileage in all weather and when I change it, it's still possible to see through it, unlike the regular oils I have used. FWIW

Workin' 4 Toys
04-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I am no expert.
Although I did talk to a fella once that (I forget the technical term for his position) lets just say he works with oil, perhaps had it in his blood. He told me just because an oil "looks" clear when you remove it, doesn't necessarily mean it did its job while it was in use.
I think about that every time I pull a filter off and talk myself out of cutting it open to see what's inside.

JimN
04-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I meant that I can see light through it, not so much that it's clear. I've worked on boats that hadn't had an oil/filter change in 3 years and that stuff looked like asphalt. I catch some of the oil whenever I change mine and filter it so I can see if there's any metal, large particles, etc. It doesn't get as black as it did before going to the blend. My truck has a ton of miles on it and it really gets up and goes, for a '90 (no roller rockers/lifters, Vortec heads, etc).

When I was at MC training, we would always discuss oil and filters, additives, etc. Alan has had sales reps come to him and spew all kinds of stuff about their product, saying that it reduces friction and increases power. He tells them to bring some samples so he can test it on his dyno for frictional losses and HP/torque. For some strange reason, they never go back. Hmmmm.

ted shred
04-21-2006, 06:28 PM
You can't go wrong with Amsoil 15w40

rodltg2
04-21-2006, 07:49 PM
i like to use wesson

Workin' 4 Toys
04-22-2006, 01:03 PM
i like to use wesson
Is that what "THEY" recommend in their engines..???8p

JimN
04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
Who is this "they" and where do "they" meet?

Workin' 4 Toys
04-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Who is this "they" and where do "they" meet?
i like to use wesson
It was a "BU" reference....;)