PDA

View Full Version : New Dog

tex
04-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Jummy Buffett is not even gone a month and the wife is already making noise about a new dog. I need advice. We don't want a small dog. We don't want one that will shed too much and can be left in the house during the day without going crazy. We have a 6 year old kid. Any ideas?

CoFooter
04-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Tex, I just about fell over when you said JB was gone, then I realized it was your dog. Condolences all the same.

I'm actually in the same boat. Wife/kids want another dog (I put my Akita to sleep about a year ago), I want to wait a bit. I kind of like the quiet period, but I know I'll soon give in. Wifekids are talking about a great dane (no shedding) or Newfoundland. Huh??? Whatever happened to a cute little lab..........

milkmania
04-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Fila Brasileiro

tex
04-20-2006, 06:22 PM
The wife has 2 stipulations. 1)No Paris Hilton dog. 2)No Great Danes

bcampbe7
04-20-2006, 06:31 PM
I would have said lab but you said no shedding. :D

What about a German Shorthair or Vizsla?

88 PS190
04-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Dunno about german shorthairs and being kept indoors too much, they are active dogs.

some of the designer mixed breeds (labradoodle) gasp i know, but they don't shed, yet are like labs.

Expensive though since they're all the rage.

bcampbe7
04-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Dunno about german shorthairs and being kept indoors too much, they are active dogs.

some of the designer mixed breeds (labradoodle) gasp i know, but they don't shed, yet are like labs.

GSP's do require a good bit of exercise, but my uncle has 3 that are inside dogs and cause no problems.

SkiDog
04-20-2006, 07:03 PM
I've got a friend who has adopted 2 retired racing Greyhounds. They keep telling they are wonderful dogs and they are good with kids. Check with your local racetrack if you're close to one. I believe they are relatively inexpensive.

michael freeman
04-20-2006, 07:17 PM
I have a Giant Schnauzer. No shedding and becomes very attached to family (i.e., leaving in back yard with family inside would cause barking and digging issues to relieve stress of separation). No shedding means grooming bills though.

When you decide on a dog, I would suggest looking up website for the Rescue org of that breed. Even if you want to buy a puppy, they will be able to suggest good breeders and warn you of puppy mills etc. They will also tell you all the bad things about that breed so there are no surprises (i.e., they donít want you to get a puppy and then give it to them when you realize it cost $70 to groom it) As an example, Giant Schnauzers can be protective around family. Iíve had two and both of mine are big teddy bears but strangers at the front door do get barked at.

Sorry about your lose and wish you luck in your search.

88 PS190
04-20-2006, 07:26 PM
I have some friends who own giant schnauzers, they were bred as guard dogs. But are great animals.

teddy
04-20-2006, 07:33 PM
We have been blessed with an Old English Sheepdog (OES) named Merlin now 13 years old. In spite of the hairy appearance they do not shed. You may remember OES's in Peter Pan and the movie the Shaggy Dog. Originally bred to protect the sheep from the wolves they are great at looking out for their owner and family. They are somewhat territorial and protective but we have not had a single incident of aggression with our dog. Nobody would mistake him for a Paris dog.

roddydog
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Said goodbye to 'Tasha', my 15year old border collie-husky cross on March 30th. Miss 'er like crazy. :(

I'd say 'don't do it' but I'd be lying to you and myself.

Small dog that doesn't shed could be a C***-a-poo (Cocker spaniel-Minpoodle X) (Can't believe I can't write the REAL name of a dog) :mad:
but they can be HYPER. You could get lucky though and get a real gem, Look around.

Let us know how it goes.

peason
04-20-2006, 07:53 PM
We just picked up a new dog from the humane society - we searched through Petfinders.com. He has some giant schnauzer and lab in him - we really got lucky - he is 7 months old, pretty mch potty trained, well behaved and gets along well with our miniature schnauzer. He has a better temprament than our full breed schnauzer, who is very protective and territorial.
Schnauzers and poodles do not shed - and they can be what ever size you want from small to large.

Good luck with your search.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 08:01 PM
But for the shedding, I love Golden Retrievers. How 'bout an Australian Shepherd?

LakePirate
04-20-2006, 08:18 PM
I would have said lab but you said no shedding. :D

What about a German Shorthair or Vizsla?

Vizslas are very active dogs as well. Had one when I was growing up, he was a great dog, just a bit much for babies and an 1/4 acre.

You said no shedding so that rules out Blue Ticks.

What about a BullMastiff....it's not a Great Dane.

tex
04-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Fila Brasileiro 95-120lbs. His poops would be bigger than the wife. i love grey hounds. She ruled them and weimeirs(spell) out. maybe something boarder collie size. I don't know what they are called but I have seen salt/pepper looking dogs with different color eyes. Anybody know what they are called...That is what she is looking for....I think? :o

bcampbe7
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Fila Brasileiro 95-120lbs. His poops would be bigger than the wife. i love grey hounds. She ruled them and weimeirs(spell) out. maybe something boarder collie size. I don't know what they are called but I have seen salt/pepper looking dogs with different color eyes. Anybody know what they are called...That is what she is looking for....I think? :o

Australian Cattle Dog?
http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian_cattle_dog/index.cfm

These are very intelligent dogs.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 09:07 PM
What about a springer spaniel?

Oh, and the dogs with different colored eyes might be a Siberian Husky.

tex
04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
#17 Today, 08:07 PM
bcampbe7
MC Devotee Join Date: Jul 2004
Photos: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Fila Brasileiro 95-120lbs. His poops would be bigger than the wife. i love grey hounds. She ruled them and weimeirs(spell) out. maybe something boarder collie size. I don't know what they are called but I have seen salt/pepper looking dogs with different color eyes. Anybody know what they are called...That is what she is looking for....I think?

Australian Cattle Dog?
http://www.akc.org/breeds/australia...e_dog/index.cfm
is this the same as a catahoula?

bcampbe7
04-20-2006, 09:22 PM
is this the same as a catahoula?

No, I don't think so...

Never heard of a catahoula. :confused:

Footin
04-20-2006, 09:36 PM
We have had a dauchsand (wiener dog) for about 10 years, he is great with the kids and doesnt shed.

roddydog
04-20-2006, 09:37 PM
What about a springer spaniel?

Oh, and the dogs with different colored eyes might be a Siberian Husky.
Any Husky and you may as well become a carpet weaver :rolleyes:

BrianM
04-20-2006, 09:40 PM

Give the German Shorthair serious consideration. I have two and they are inside most of the time. They do like their excercise but really love to be with their people. Great with other people and kids. Very little shedding and a great size. They do fine inside by themselves during the day as long as you consider them a part of the family when you are home. Both of mine are attention hogs especially my female.

There is a great GSP rescue in Texas. That's were we got our female. Lots of great dogs that need a good home. They have "foster homes" in the Dallas, Denton, Austin, and Houston areas http://members.petfinder.org/~TX176/ (http://members.petfinder.org/%7ETX176/)

PendO
04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
Jummy Buffett is not even gone a month and the wife is already making noise about a new dog. I need advice. We don't want a small dog. We don't want one that will shed too much and can be left in the house during the day without going crazy. We have a 6 year old kid. Any ideas?

So, your wife ruled out the weimaraner ... I have a male 2.5 year old who looks like this one, my brother has a "blue" female litter mate ... she is high strung, but mine is not hyper

PendO
04-20-2006, 09:56 PM
About the Weimaraner

Originally bred as an eager, protective hunting companion to the German aristocracy, the modern Weimaraner was introduced to the United States in 1929. In recent years, this versatile dog has gained national respect as a companion to young and old, active and sedentary. The Weimaraner can be an avid hunter, family companion, children's' playmate and protector, support dog for the physically disabled, obedience dog, tracking dog, police dog or agility dog.

Males - 25" to 27" - 70# to 85#
Females - 23" to 25" - 55# to 65#

Genetics rather than sex influence the Weims temperament; therefore, males and females are similar. Choose your puppy from a kennel that consistently breeds for the qualities you desire.

Average life expectancy is 12 years.
AKC registered Weims can be long or short haired, gray or blue.

... here is a blue one

OOPS, not sure if those pictures are copyrighted or not, feel free to delet them if you need to:)

PendO
04-20-2006, 09:59 PM
man, take a look at this dog ... (words you never heard on the swimsuit thread:))

Datdude
04-21-2006, 11:15 AM
We have been blessed with an Old English Sheepdog (OES) named Merlin now 13 years old. In spite of the hairy appearance they do not shed. You may remember OES's in Peter Pan and the movie the Shaggy Dog. Originally bred to protect the sheep from the wolves they are great at looking out for their owner and family. They are somewhat territorial and protective but we have not had a single incident of aggression with our dog. Nobody would mistake him for a Paris dog.

We had an OES when I was a kid and it was a GREAT dog!!! She looked huge with all of her fur, then we would have her shaved in the Summer and she looked like a greyhound :D . She was the most docile animal ever and I do not recall her ever barking?? We have a lab/husky mix now and she is a fun dog, but she does shed and it is a pain in the a**. I also thought beagles were kinda cool, but I don't know much about them. Good luck in your search.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-21-2006, 11:26 AM
We have had a dauchsand (wiener dog) for about 10 years, he is great with the kids and doesnt shed.
WORD UP on that Dachshund Footin!!! They RULE!!!! we had one for 10 years that passed away a year ago. What a terrific dog! So good with children, and people. He was the kindest dog I ever saw. The only animals he really had a "problem" with where chipmunks and squirrels. He believed all chipmunks and squirrels were huge evil monsters that wanted to invade my parents house and eat us alive, and it was his job to protect us from the viscious beasts :uglyhamme He just loved to chase chipmunks and squirrels! That dog would chase them ALL day long! The funny part is, Dachshunds might have goofy stature, and short little legs, but they are super strong and FAST! Dont underestimate them because of their appearance. Our dog darn near could catch chipmunks on a full run if he had enough space to run. they normally got to shelter before he could get them, but every once in a while, he would get up right up one before it got to shelter. Another thing that dog loved, was snakes. They love to kill snakes. Makes a heck of a mess though.

I know you dont want a small dog, but if you did, Dachshunds all the way! They are terrific family dogs. So loving and loyal. very funny and entertaining. :D

michael freeman
04-21-2006, 02:14 PM
Australian Cattle Dog?

My last Giant Schnauzer would carry a 40lb sealed plastic food container into the dinning room, unscrew the lid that was very tight by pushing it over and standing on the edge of the large handle to spin it off. (i.e., my dog knew "righty tighty, lefty loosey) Trust me intelligence is usually not a good thing, of course she was very easy to train. :)

bcampbe7
04-21-2006, 02:20 PM
My last Giant Schnauzer would carry a 40lb sealed plastic food container into the dinning room, unscrew the lid that was very tight by pushing it over and standing on the edge of the large handle to spin it off. (i.e., my dog knew "righty tighty, lefty loosey) Trust me intelligence is usually not a good thing, of course she was very easy to train. :)
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

BrianM
04-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Here is a great rescue GSP for you http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=5549102

ski-aholic
04-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Australian Cattle Dog?

Bcampbe7 .... Yes, these dogs are incredibly intelligent, however we have a Australian Cattle Dog and while we love him to death and he doesn't really shed too much ... he does NOT like to be left alone indoors or out ... they are "herders" and need "jobs" to do to keep themselves out of trouble ... If we leave him indoors alone (even with our other dog, a black lab) he chews up EVERYTHING; shoes, paper, portable cd player etc ....

****dumb statement deleted by embarrassed Ski-Aholic's Wife*** ...

As far as waiting vs getting another dog right away, basically I think if you are an animal lover as you appear to be .... either stand your ground firm or else if you go looking around for another dog ... you WILL come home with one ;)

There's my :twocents: Tex ....

Ski-Aholic's Wife

tex
06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Well here it is! A lab/golden ret. mix. This is the description...Although Kismet is a demure and soft-spoken girl, she is no wallflower. She wants to be where her people are and isn't one to shy away. Kizzy really wants lots of love and a family. She is such a sweet, loving girl. We think that she will be quite a looker as she fills out and will be a nice medium-sized dog. Kizmet loves to play with toys and is very smart as she knows how to ring a bell on the door to tell you when she needs to go outside. Needless to say she is already housetrained and crate trained.

We got her from a rescue group...what a bunch of hoops you have to jump through! I wanted to change her name to Zamber(the last name of a very cool show skier girl that i used to ski with). My wife nixed it due to knowing her and not being able to put the 2 together. I thought it would be great yelling my friend's name at the dog while trying to keep her under control. It would be just like the old days. We take delivery on the 4th! Wish me luck! I will post better pictures when I get them.

Leroy
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Great job Tex! Nice looking addition to the family!

bigmac
06-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Well here it is! A lab/golden ret. mix. This is the description...Although Kismet is a demure and soft-spoken girl, she is no wallflower. She wants to be where her people are and isn't one to shy away. Kizzy really wants lots of love and a family. She is such a sweet, loving girl. We think that she will be quite a looker as she fills out and will be a nice medium-sized dog. Kizmet loves to play with toys and is very smart as she knows how to ring a bell on the door to tell you when she needs to go outside. Needless to say she is already housetrained and crate trained.

We got her from a rescue group...what a bunch of hoops you have to jump through! I wanted to change her name to Zamber(the last name of a very cool show skier girl that i used to ski with). My wife nixed it due to knowing her and not being able to put the 2 together. I thought it would be great yelling my friend's name at the dog while trying to keep her under control. It would be just like the old days. We take delivery on the 4th! Wish me luck! I will post better pictures when I get them.

Nice. We have three golden retrievers - they are fantastic dogs. Utterly devoted to the family, not a mean bone in their bodies.

tex
11-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Kismet is great!!!!

jsnipes
11-14-2007, 11:36 PM
I have a 5.5 month old labradoodle and she's been great so far. No shedding, very smart (potty trained from day 1, no kidding) and very good with kids and other dogs. We got her at 6.5 weeks old and took her to the lake the following weekend and she swam great even at that young age.

We found a local breeder with good recommendations and got her for a lot less money than what you see online for some breeders. She's the perfect fit for us.

I didn't know this, but poodles were originally bred to be water hunting dogs similar to labs ... she loves the water. She'll jump in the bathtub by herself as soon as you turn the water on to give her a bath. It's hilarious. Anyway, my two cents.

Jamie

BrianM
11-15-2007, 09:18 AM

River Rat
11-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Tex are you bored???? you keep throwing me for a loop with these old treads:o

tex
11-15-2007, 10:06 AM
No, I was just kicking it and reading old threads. Just wanted to bump some to pump some old life back in here! Stir the pot in a good way! It beats the heck out of another teak thread or another picture of somebody's wake!

G-man
11-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Teak someone say teak??? Use the white bottle

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 10:53 AM
We have a GSP. He is a great dog!! He does shed alot though but i am not as faithful with bathing him as i should be. Ours has a great temperment and does not bark hardly at all unless someone pulls up at our house! We have four young daughters(8, 6, 3). No probs what so evr with him!!

BrianM
11-15-2007, 11:51 AM
We have a GSP. He is a great dog!! He does shed alot though but i am not as faithful with bathing him as i should be. Ours has a great temperment and does not bark hardly at all unless someone pulls up at our house! We have four young daughters(8, 6, 3). No probs what so evr with him!!

Lets see a pic of that GSP

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8999

hope this works!!
here is GSP with my daughter!!

BrianM
11-15-2007, 12:07 PM
http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=8999

hope this works!!
here is GSP with my daughter!!

Great looking dog (and kid).

ShamrockIV
11-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks!! his previous owner paid a heavy price tag for him!! he kept jumping their 4 foot fence and they were afraid he would get hit!!(he cleared 6 footer at the kennel!!)

Maristar210
11-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Great looking dog

Way to revive a good old thread Tex !!!!

Steve

BrianM
11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks!! his previous owner paid a heavy price tag for him!! he kept jumping their 4 foot fence and they were afraid he would get hit!!(he cleared 6 footer at the kennel!!)
My male used to be a fence climber. Now that he is older he doesn't try anymore. He climbed an 8ft chain link in my back yard multiple times. I caught him once just about to go over the top. Smart and athletic b@stard.

TMCNo1
11-15-2007, 12:41 PM
We had a intelligent neighbor who had a dog that would jump a 6' fence. The owner then chained the dog in the lot, but didn't realize the chain was too short and the dog jumped the fence and hung himself on the other side of the fence. They weren't the brightest bulb in the lamp and didn't pay much attention to the dog, or feed him everyday, so and we found out the dog hung there for 3 days before they realized it was dead.

atlfootr
11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Jummy Buffett is not even gone a month and the wife is already making noise about a new dog. I need advice.

We don't want a small dog.
We don't want one that will shed too much.
Can be left in the house during the day without going crazy.We have a 6 year old kid. Any ideas?I've got' n idea, AS IF U HAD TO ASK :rolleyes:

http://www.kids-teens.org/animals1/rottiexpress.jpg

Prostar in Michigain
11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
My grandma is a breeder of three different dogs. She has Goldens which we have one and talk about sheding great family dog loves the lake and boat. She also has labs all different ones but those shed also and there hair somtimes hurts when sheding because it is wirery then she has cocker spaniels which can be a good dog at times sheds but not as much as the other to. They can be a good family dog if trained right. My grandparents have two and the love the water and boat also but they are a little smaller then the retreviers. Good luck tex

Mark

Lennyp04
11-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Right after we had to put down our last cat we started talking about a dog instead. We were leaning toward a greyhound. We would travel an hour from home just to see some greyhounds. It was such a big thing for my family because we as a family all have a very big soft spot for animals and to think what these dogs go through on the race track and are shot when they dont perform, we would have been more then happy to adopt one. Well unfortuantley we didnt but we still talk about them. Instead we got another cat which is fine with me.

If there is an adoption center for greyhounds around you, you might be able to get some information on them. They also test compatability with children and other animals so that you can find a perfect match.

atlfootr
11-18-2007, 11:23 AM
I've got' n idea, AS IF U HAD TO ASK :rolleyes:

http://www.kids-teens.org/animals1/rottiexpress.jpg

After owning 7 Rotti's, for me there's NO OTHER BREED!

georgea0731
11-18-2007, 03:09 PM
We've had 2 OES, great dogs. 1st was a better guard dog when someone came to the door, 2nd will lick them to death (ha). Both were trained to stay in the yard and will not go into the neighbors yard at all. Great with kids, walks at the park daily and mets no strangers. I've heard good things about this new labradoodle.

mrprostar
11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
I have had three German Shorthairs and they are awesome dogs. This one is about six months old. They do require a lot of excersise but its worth it for a dog who is very easy to train and will do anything to please you.

BrianM
11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I have had three German Shorthairs and they are awesome dogs. This one is about six months old. They do require a lot of excersise but its worth it for a dog who is very easy to train and will do anything to please you.

Very good looking dog. Love them GSPs

kjohnson
11-19-2007, 03:12 PM
I love dobermans. They don't shed much at all.