PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Private Ski sites in Wester WI, Easter MN area.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Since the dream is trying to be fulfilled in Southern WI Norther IL. I figured I might as well start one for the other corner of WI. Anybody know a lot about geology? cuz I've found a bunch of land suitable for a ski site... just don't have the knowhow to keep water in it. Maybe we could stretch my bathtub...

EricB
04-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Hope you get a bite on this post, because I would like to find one also. There used to be a slalom course set up on Half Moon Lake just north of Balsam Lake, but I'm not sure if it's there anymore. Balsam is about 1/2 hr noth of Hudson.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Eric Email me...

Danimal
04-20-2006, 04:18 PM
Hope you get a bite on this post, because I would like to find one also. There used to be a slalom course set up on Half Moon Lake just north of Balsam Lake, but I'm not sure if it's there anymore. Balsam is about 1/2 hr noth of Hudson.

I saw a what I think was a portable (I haven't heard of a perm course on Balsam) on East Balsam last August when we were fishiing. I didn't see anyone skiing it though and I didn't think it was proper to go blasting through the course behind a Lund :cool: We go up there every year and this was the first time I saw a course.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 04:28 PM
I've got a portable... so if you guys find the nice water... I'll bring my course and my boat. We'll throw it in, ski until our arms fall off then go have some beers. any takers?

peason
04-20-2006, 08:21 PM
#47, I just move to Lake Demontreville in Lake Elmo, just minutes from the corner of 694 and Rte 36. I would think we could set up the course here if you want. I have never skied a course before. One problem is the lake is no wake until noon. During the week the lake is pretty quiet - weekends can be busy.
You could also join the Ski Otters ski club in White Bear, MN - they have a course on their private lake. I have also seen a course set up on a small lake across the road from them. Last summer there was a permanent course on White Bear Lake in one of the bays near Mahtomedi, MN. It is a big lake - and I don't have much experience on it.
All of these sites are 30-45 minutes from you in Hudson.

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Since the dream is trying to be fulfilled in Southern WI Norther IL. I figured I might as well start one for the other corner of WI. Anybody know a lot about geology? cuz I've found a bunch of land suitable for a ski site... just don't have the knowhow to keep water in it. Maybe we could stretch my bathtub...

dig 6-7ft deep 2000x150ft , set the course , fill it with water. ski...
theres a few more details but thats pretty much it :D

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 08:28 PM
this may help too

http://www.laku.com/skilake.htm

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 08:44 PM
ok, its a little early yet, but since the subject got brought up....
i didnt want say anything till it was done in case anything happens that it doesnt work out, but i got too excited .. so ............

here are some lake construction pics of my new ski lake !!! should be ready to ski by june.

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 08:45 PM
more shots...............

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
last on for now.....its real early yet still trying to get all the big rocks out.

peason
04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Rod, do you have to put a liner in under the soil or do you have a the right soil conditions that it will hold water?

roddydog
04-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I smell a mafia connection :eek:

:popcorn: :D

rodltg2
04-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Rod, do you have to put a liner in under the soil or do you have a the right soil conditions that it will hold water?

no liner, well compacted...

east tx skier
04-21-2006, 12:55 PM
last on for now.....its real early yet still trying to get all the big rocks out.

I thought you'd been awfully quiet about that lately (since you were asking last year if anyone knew of one for sale). Will there be a grass strip next to it?

Is that a "fishing pond?"

Will the feed be a spring or runoff? If the latter, the guy who runs a nearby ski school and owns his own lake (complete with hanger and grass strip) said he went 12 feet down all the way out to the turn balls. They've never not had enough water to ski.

east tx skier
04-21-2006, 01:01 PM
dig 6-7ft deep 2000x150ft , set the course , fill it with water. ski...
theres a few more details but thats pretty much it :D

Don't forget the pulley system on the course so you can get into deep shortline! ;) 8p

rodltg2
04-21-2006, 01:10 PM
first thing thats going in!

actually im just kidding, thats going on behind my building. got the wheels turnin again though. i talked to the main guy out there and he said they have lake building experience. told me to give him a call when i was ready.. now i jsut need to find land.

jamisonsbrodie
04-22-2006, 01:44 AM
If you want an ideal spot, then buy a lot on one of the Trophy Lake Estates sites. TLE 2 is in Pine Island just north of Rochester and #3 is NE of the Twin cities near Center City. There is a 4th site west of the Twin Cities that is in the planning stage, but it is already sold out.

See attached link.

http://www.trophylakeestates.com

jake
04-24-2006, 11:48 PM
I joined the ski otters for a couple years to use the course, on what we affectionately dubbed "scum lake". It's the best ski situation I could find in the metro for time on a course without general boat traffic interference. I'd check it out if I were you. PM me if you want the contact info for the coordinators.

As mentioned earlier, there is a course on White Bear, also on on Bald Eagle....both relatively close to Hudson.

#47of100TeamMC
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM
If you want an ideal spot, then buy a lot on one of the Trophy Lake Estates sites. TLE 2 is in Pine Island just north of Rochester and #3 is NE of the Twin cities near Center City. There is a 4th site west of the Twin Cities that is in the planning stage, but it is already sold out.

See attached link.

http://www.trophylakeestates.com

Yeah, I know about TrophyLakeestates. I know Grant Hustad. But I can't get the wife to move either direction. Plus, they better have a good time slot system if they are going to sell 40 homesites around 1 ski lake with only room for 1 boat on it. and the only reason each family would buy a lot is to ski... sounds like it would be busier than a public lake on a holiday weekend!

jamisonsbrodie
04-26-2006, 01:10 AM
Yeah, I know about TrophyLakeestates. I know Grant Hustad. But I can't get the wife to move either direction. Plus, they better have a good time slot system if they are going to sell 40 homesites around 1 ski lake with only room for 1 boat on it. and the only reason each family would buy a lot is to ski... sounds like it would be busier than a public lake on a holiday weekend!

TLE 3 and TLE 4 have 2 lakes each side by side with 30 homesites around the outside. There will be some waiting at times, but it shouldn't be an issue most of the time. Besides, it will be a small price to pay to have perfect water all the time!!

#47of100TeamMC
04-26-2006, 09:37 AM
Do you have a lot/house on one of the TLE properties?

jamisonsbrodie
04-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Do you have a lot/house on one of the TLE properties?
I have a lot reserved on TLE4, which is in the planning stages right now. It is slated to go in near New Germany, and ground work is supposed to begin this summer.

jlf
04-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Anybody know anymore about that watersports complex that is going in Plover, WI? It is supposed to be done this year I thought, like two ski lakes with bleachers and all. Does anyone know if you'll be able to get a membership or something to use the lakes when there are no tournaments be run? I hear Redline Watersports will be the dealership on the lakes, good deal for them. I guess there is going to be a golf course and the whole nine yards. Are there waterfront properties then where people can have docks? Anyone know anything about this? I believe there was an article in the latest issue of Waterski magazine about the complex.