PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise on cylinder #4

dchatagnon
04-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Hello,

Just started the boat today for the season.
Only problem I have is a ticking noise on cylinder #4...

I have check the wire and everything looks fine. If I remove the wire from cyl. #4 the ticking noise disappears...
I would say it's an ignition poblem... but what do you think?

Coil and wires are brand new.
All fuel filters changed+ spark plugs.

I have removed the distributor cap+rotor. They are not brand new. May be I should just change this ...

Thanks for your help.
DC

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Power to the plug may be arching to ground....that would make a snapping/ticking noise. If you can run the boat in the dark it would be easy to see the spark jumping. Another thing that comes to mind as a source for the noise is a lifter that has not filled with oil (you said you are starting for the first time of the season) this should go away after running for a short while however.

dchatagnon
04-20-2006, 01:40 PM
Ok thanks. After 1hour the ticking noise on this cylinder is still here...
As you said it's not a bad oild lifter... Maybe bad wire or bad spark plug!

redmike
04-20-2006, 02:02 PM
are you sure it is not an exhaust leak......would look at that.....

dchatagnon
04-20-2006, 02:25 PM
I just finished with Vince from DIM.
For him: a bad spark plug or bad cable wire (bad power to the plug).
He recommends also to change my distributor cap and rotor. (I'm still using the original ones)

JimN
04-20-2006, 02:30 PM
If the noise disappears when the plug wire is off, it sounds like a bad wire or plug- it's an easier path to ground through air than through the plug.

dchatagnon
04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes, the noise disappears when the plug wire is off. Tomorrow, I will check for both plug wire and spark plug. Thanks for all your answer.

dchatagnon
04-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Just have changed wire and spark plug... and still the same. :(
I assume it's a bad hydraulic lifter. I have checked the compressions rate on each cylinder and they are all correct.... Is it complicated to change one hydraulic lifter?

jsonova99
04-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Just have changed wire and spark plug... and still the same. :(
I assume it's a bad hydraulic lifter. I have checked the compressions rate on each cylinder and they are all correct.... Is it complicated to change one hydraulic lifter?

I'm not sure how hard the job is, but if you're going to do one, then do them all. I'm no expert, but I think it's best to replace these types of things in sets assuming that's your problem. Did you change out the cap and rotor in addition to the wire and plug?

dchatagnon
04-21-2006, 11:34 AM
yes. Just bought today a new distributor cap and rotor... Do you know if this happens often? hydraulic lifters can go bad like that? The engine has 2000 hrs.

dchatagnon
04-21-2006, 12:47 PM
are you sure it is not an exhaust leak......would look at that.....

Just finished with Vince from DIM. As I have repainted the exhaust manifolds this winter, may be I haven tighted it very well or the 2 surfaces are not so clean and don't go in contact all around. I have put a gasket but He told me that indmar doesn't put gasket at all between the exhaust and the block. As the noise came after 5 mins. of running the boat on the lake, I assume it sounds like an exhaust leak... I will let you know the result tomorrow.

Engine Nut
04-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Indmar doesn't use a gasket between the exhaust manifold and head but we do use a silicone sealant. Dow Corning 999-A is the sealanrt we use.

Engine Nut

dchatagnon
04-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Ok, Thanks for the tip Engine Nut. Hopefully, I'm in the right way and this will fix my issue. Also, I have checked and the noise is not coming from the valve cover. It's on the side of the head around the spark plug near the exhaust...

JimN
04-21-2006, 05:58 PM
If you start the motor and put your hand near the mating surface of the head and exhaust manifold, you should feel it if there's a leak. Do this with the motor cold.

dchatagnon
04-22-2006, 12:15 PM
ok. Found it: EXHAUST LEAK!!! ;) I have removed the exhaust manifold, clean both manifold and block. Remove the gasket and put some sealant instead.
That was an easy fix!! :)
I was immediatly sure it was an exhaust leak, when I have removed the manifold cause of black dust all around. I confirm that there is no need to put a gasket...
Thanks all for all your answers.

Damien.