PDA

View Full Version : Tear in Vinyl

83MC
04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
While in the process of preparing my boat for summer use, I managed to tear the vinyl on the engine cover last night. The tear is small, only about an inch. Does anyone have any experience with vinyl repair kits/glue? Any info…brand/how to etc. would be helpful.

BrianS
04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
I have a tear in my motor box that I had a vinyl repair done on. It did not turn out very well. The tear is on the corner and next to a seam so I didn't expect much, but I figured it was worth a try.

You may have better luck if it is on a flat surface like the top or side. I'll be ordering the replacement skin for the motor box for mine.

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, I have heard of some people just super gluing the tear, but I would probably take it to a vinyl shop and have it repaired. Then you know its done right, and not going to get bigger.

3event
04-20-2006, 12:07 PM
I agree, take it to a good shop to be repaired. I had a small tear that I just got done, it was under $70 and a relief to get it taken care of before it gets bigger. Cheaper than replacing the whole skin! Repair is undetectable. I haven't heard anyone recommend a repair kit that can actually do a decent job....

BrianS
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
I should have mentioned that I had mine done by a local upholstery guy and it still didn't turn out right. It was worth the $50 to try before buying the whole skin though.

I don't have any experience with the DIY kits.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
For the anal (most of us), DIY kits will not achieve a desired result. I've tried them on both my last boat and my old jeep. They are far from invisible.

JohnnyB
04-21-2006, 01:55 PM
Call your local upholstery shop or car dealer ship....car dealers usually have a mobile vinyl repair service they use to recondition trades before resale.....my upholstery shop recommended the local Dr. Vinyl chain...you could also look up Dr. Vinyl in your telephone book business section.