PDA

View Full Version : Perko Switch wiring help??????

prostar205
04-20-2006, 03:02 AM
I am currently using a Perko switch with two banks of batterys. Battery 1 is a standard marine starting battery and will handle everything but the stereo. Battery 2 (2 Blue Top Optimas wired in parallel) will just be to run the stereo. When I wired the headunit, I wired the iginition to the boats iginition switch that my Clarion was wired to. However, I wired the positive and negative leads directly to battery 2. Now, when I switch my Perko battery switch to the OFF position, the ignition is still "live". What did I miss? Is that how the Perko switch operates? I know the way the dealer had it wired, when it was turned to OFF, the iginition was dead.

Here is a schematic of how the boat is wired right now. Does anyone see anything out of the ordinary?

Thanks for all the help.

BriEOD
04-20-2006, 09:00 AM
The picture is not very clear. It sounds like your ignition is somehow wired to the battery. Both battery systems are wired into the perko switch and than the perko has an output leg. This output leg should be wired into your terminal block and have a leg off to the starter.

ntidsl
04-20-2006, 09:06 AM
check the official battery thread