PDA

View Full Version : My impellor... to use, or not to use...

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 12:57 AM
ok, i cracked open the water pump to check on the impellor, this is that it looks like.

The first pic, is the old one, the second is the new one. its a little cracked, but still a lot better. Should i still use it?

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 01:00 AM
heres another of the old one and how rotted it was.

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 01:03 AM
just out the new one in , one less thing too worry about.

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 01:06 AM
you wouldnt be worried about those little cracks on the new one?

Leroy
04-20-2006, 01:23 AM
I would be worried, I've never seen....but never looked that close, but my new ones seems perfect. How old is the new one?

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 01:24 AM
a few years old, the old one, is over 6 years old.

Leroy
04-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Six years, why did you change!

I would just buy a new one, but depends on your situation, how you handle potential impeller failure and perhaps fins going throughout the water path.

PendO
04-20-2006, 01:33 AM
I'd replace it with a Globe (http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|311&id=53460) impeller, guaranteed to run dry for 15 minutes ... I need to cross reference a part number as I want to replace ballast pump impellers, and buy a water pump impeller.

Crash
04-20-2006, 01:35 AM
And here I was worried about my impleller w/50 hrs. I'd replace it, marginal cost vs. day/hours wasted on lake.

PendO
04-20-2006, 01:37 AM
what is the cross reference # on the impeller?

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 01:38 AM
idk, how do i find it?

PendO
04-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I think there is a Jabsco # on the impeller or on the packaging ... I will hunt around as I think we all have the same impellers from 87 on up, someone correct me if I am wrong?

Tom023
04-20-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd replace it with a Globe (http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|311&id=53460) impeller, guaranteed to run dry for 15 minutes ... I need to cross reference a part number as I want to replace ballast pump impellers, and buy a water pump impeller.

I'd stay away from the Globe impellor. I bought one and put it in last fall and it worked fine; although someone else posted on this site that they had issues with it at low speed. First time out this spring I wasn't getting any cooling water through for some reason, replaced the impellor at the ramp with a new Johnson and all was fine. Something about the Globe impellors don't draw at idle speed. The other thing I found odd about the Globe is that it seems to be about 1/16 - 1/32 too long. I've never had a problem putting in a Johnson impellor, but I couldn't get the Globe all the way in and had to use the cover plate and bolts to get it to seat. Just my .02

For my boat, a Johnson 09-812B equates to a Globe 100V. Not sure if yours is the same.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
If you have to ask if your impeller is ok to put back in... that should tell you that it is probably not. Any pieces missing, any cracks, anything that looks anything but NEW gets thrown away. I check mine each spring, and replace regardless every other year. I've only put 92hrs on my boat in the last 3years.

BrianM
04-20-2006, 10:15 AM
If you have to ask if your impeller is ok to put back in... that should tell you that it is probably not. Any pieces missing, any cracks, anything that looks anything but NEW gets thrown away. I check mine each spring, and replace regardless every other year. I've only put 92hrs on my boat in the last 3years.

Ditto! ! !

JimN
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
If the motivation to not change an impeller is saving money, what would you base the motivation on, to not do a motor swap?

For all of the little nit-picky things I see people do and talk about doing to/for their boats and how they second guess their dealers, doing the work on their own boats and not changing a $30 part really puzzles me. If a dealer didn't change it, a lynch mob would form and the dealer's head would be on a stick.

How many threads about impeller life does it take for people to understand that the impeller AND gasket should be changed every year?

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 10:45 AM
If the motivation to not change an impeller is saving money, what would you base the motivation on, to not do a motor swap?

For all of the little nit-picky things I see people do and talk about doing to/for their boats and how they second guess their dealers, doing the work on their own boats and not changing a $30 part really puzzles me. If a dealer didn't change it, a lynch mob would form and the dealer's head would be on a stick.

How many threads about impeller life does it take for people to understand that the impeller AND gasket should be changed every year?

Exactly, Does the manual say every 50hrs. or 100hrs? I think it's one of the 2. for me that's more like every other year up here in the Frozen Midwest Tundra. But for anybody south of Iowa/Missouri, where the season is longer than 4-5months. I'd be changing mine every year without even looking to see how worn it was.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
I change it each spring whether it needs it or not. And I don't put near the hours on my boat that some of you guys do. $28 insurance policy.

vogelm1
04-20-2006, 11:07 AM
I'd ditch both and put in a brand new one....for ~$30 it's worth not only the piece of mind, but probably should be doing it annually anyway. I'm a new inboard owner - put 60 hours on our PS last season, and still put in a brand new impeller for this season. Figured that will be one thing that doesn't keep me off the water/give me problems during the season. :twocents:

LakePirate
04-20-2006, 11:18 AM
If a dealer didn't change it, a lynch mob would form and the dealer's head would be on a stick.

Not only did they not change my impeller,
They turned me into a Newt.

JimN
04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
Well, I got better.

Ever notice the guy coming out of the house in that scene with shaving cream on his face?

RobertT
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
I replaced mine at 100 hrs, and it still looked new. Sprayed a little 303 on it (for magical purposes), and put it in my save a day kit. It feels really nice having a spare, as all mechanical breakdowns happen on a friday of a holiday weekend with company and 5 excited kids in the boat.

This gives me an idea. If I spray my wife down with 303 I wonder if she will look better longer???? Anyone have exsperience with this?

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
Where can you buy 303?

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 12:22 PM
skidim, overtons, probably west marine. Most boat dealers.

PendO
04-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks Tom for the info, guess I wll stay with the ones at the shop.

I'd stay away from the Globe impellor. I bought one and put it in last fall and it worked fine; although someone else posted on this site that they had issues with it at low speed. First time out this spring I wasn't getting any cooling water through for some reason, replaced the impellor at the ramp with a new Johnson and all was fine. Something about the Globe impellors don't draw at idle speed. The other thing I found odd about the Globe is that it seems to be about 1/16 - 1/32 too long. I've never had a problem putting in a Johnson impellor, but I couldn't get the Globe all the way in and had to use the cover plate and bolts to get it to seat. Just my .02

For my boat, a Johnson 09-812B equates to a Globe 100V. Not sure if yours is the same.