PDA

View Full Version : First time slip questons

Doug G
04-19-2006, 11:51 PM
So she's in the slip and ready. Gotta admit I'm a bit nervous about the whole slip thing. We think it is going to be great and equal more time on the water but being new to doing the whole slip thing and 45 min away from the boat has me nervous. Other than the whole keep it clean thing and no I can't do a lift at this marina, any suggestions or recommendations from other "slippers".

It took a little bit to get the lines sized but it can't hit the dock when I rock it side to side or front to back. I am not so comfy with this much sticking out for someone else to clip off. Will have to see how it is when the other boats start showing up. What did you put on the front of the dock to protect the bow?

LakePirate
04-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Those dam skiers are always the first ones there.....

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Keep your bilge on auto, and check it after any major storms....

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Electric fence. Guard dog.

Doug G
04-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Screw the dog ... security by Smith and Wesson!

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't leave the keys in it either.

Did you lock it to the dock in any way?

Leroy
04-20-2006, 12:30 AM
Most of the owners of slips on my lake take a buoy and screw down each end so it is attached to where the bow would bump.Looks like you have pretty good rubber around the slip, I found I needed more at the corners as you come in.

Nice pix!

Leroy
04-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Do you have the shock absorbers in the ropes?

PendO
04-20-2006, 12:58 AM
putting the pickle fork in a slip can be a bee-ach, I would use 2 more lines,the 4 like you have it, but two more on the front of the boat pulling it backwards to the rear anchors. When we stop somewhere to eat this is how we tie up the Xstar.

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 12:59 AM
that slip seems too small for that boat. i have a slip at the delta , which i only use while im there, and its 32ft. its big but gives me plenty of room and i dont have to worry about it hitting anywhere.

SKI*MC
04-20-2006, 01:05 AM
putting the pickle fork in a slip can be a bee-ach, I would use 2 more lines,the 4 like you have it, but two more on the front of the boat pulling it backwards to the rear anchors. When we stop somewhere to eat this is how we tie up the Xstar.

Its not a pickle fork, its a regular poinded bow. :D

I would put fenders on the side of the boat.

PendO
04-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Its not a pickle fork, its a regular poinded bow. :D

I would put fenders on the side of the boat.

guess you are right, the blurry part looked like the nose was flat?

That slip sure looks small.

Will it be in a slip from now until the end of summer (labor day), or will you pull it out a few times?

Leroy
04-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Boats go by creating big wake just outside the dock? I don't see any wake break and looks like this is on the main channel, true? You should be there for one major storm just to see the white caps and see the docks slapping around.

jimmer2880
04-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Boats go by creating big wake just outside the dock? I don't see any wake break and looks like this is on the main channel, true? You should be there for one major storm just to see the white caps and see the docks slapping around.

Good point Leroy. I would recommend backing the boat into the slip to help deflect many of the rollers, etc. It's a real pain at first, but when you get used to doing it, it's not so bad.

BUSSTUFJ
04-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Did you paint the bottom for antifuling? Where on Lake Wallenpaupack is this docked? that lake can get really rough.

Leroy
04-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Also a great point Jimmer and makes getting in/out easier stepping out the platform.

I'll take your word it gets easier, I'm not there!

Good point Leroy. I would recommend backing the boat into the slip to help deflect many of the rollers, etc. It's a real pain at first, but when you get used to doing it, it's not so bad.

bigmac
04-20-2006, 08:35 AM
If you're not going to paint the bottom with an anti-fouling paint, make sure you check the hull carefully at the end of the season for Gelcoat blistering. Do a search here, but it's been a problem for some people who keep their boat in the water.

Also, note that MasterCraft states in their warranty that such blistering isn't covered by warranty for boat left in the water unless an anti-fouling paint is applied.

How about a floating (http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/ssc/floatlift.html) boat lift - also not allowed?

(m)damage to paints, varnishes, gel coat surfaces andcolors, chrome-plated or anodized finishes, floor and floorcovers and any other surface coatings, as well as damage due toin-water storage without proper barrier coat and bottom paint(NOTE: Although MasterCraft uses the highest-grade gel coatmaterials, a condition may develop where the bottom of theboat may show signs of discoloration and/or blisters if the boatis left in the water for long periods of time, and therefore, aproper barrier coat and bottom paint should be used wheneverit is anticipated that the boat will be left in the water for anextended period of time)

ntidsl
04-20-2006, 09:05 AM
I would back it in for sure...no questions asked...Pull it out frequently to wax the bottom...Use 303 onthe whole surface too...That sun looks brutal!!! If yo have a battery breaker use it and make sure the bilge still works...I would make sure that before you get in your car to leave everytime you, not only mentally but physically say "battery is off" to either yourself or your companion...I rest much easier when I know everything is off, plus you can always ask that person, did I say "battery off"...it may save you a trip back to check...

Evan Jones
04-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Sounds like it's a crap shoot on the blister thing. I've seen one post where the guy had blisters after the first season. I had mine floating all summer for the first 8 years. Waxed the bottom maybe once in those 8 years. Cleaned it up good at the end of each summer. Still no blisters. Now it's on a lift. Might depend on what contaminants are in the water you are floating in. Good luck. Looks great! :toast:

stevo137
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Have you asked the marina if they will allow you to put your own lift there?
I have heard of a few marinas that will allow this.

jimmer2880
04-20-2006, 11:35 AM
.....I'll take your word it gets easier, I'm not there!

After backing my boat in for 6, going on 7 seasons now, it is much easier. But - about every other week, I have a spill where it takes me 2 tries.

PendO
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by /from MasterCraft 2006 Owner's Manual
(m)damage to paints, varnishes, gel coat surfaces andcolors, chrome-plated or anodized finishes, floor and floorcovers and any other surface coatings, as well as damage due toin-water storage without proper barrier coat and bottom paint(NOTE: Although MasterCraft uses the highest-grade gel coatmaterials, a condition may develop where the bottom of theboat may show signs of discoloration and/or blisters if the boatis left in the water for long periods of time, and therefore, aproper barrier coat and bottom paint should be used wheneverit is anticipated that the boat will be left in the water for anextended period of time)

EXACTLY what I was thinking.

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 12:48 PM
When you take it out to wax the boat, I think it is just important to let the hull dry really well. For example, if you pull it out on Sat. night to wax it on Sunday, don't put it back in Sunday. Maybe wait until tuesday or wednesday to let the gelcoat really dry out.

Diesel
04-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Brave, brave sole. I cannot stand to leave my boat in an uncovered stall while I eat dinner. I just don't have the stomach. Good luck and I wish you the best :)

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Brave, brave sole. I cannot stand to leave my boat in an uncovered stall while I eat dinner. I just don't have the stomach. Good luck and I wish you the best :)

No kidding! I anchor mine offshore when the lift is occupied at our own dock. My last boat had more than enough dock rash and we had hull huggrs, boat bumpers, and all things in between to protect it.

AirJunky
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Going on my 6th season with the 205 sitting in a floating boat slip.... ie; no lift. It would be nice, but the boat & slip are setup to take it.
Like others have suggested:
- Backing the boat in makes it easier to get on/off the swimstep before/after you've messed with the cover. Also makes it so the boat takes any oncoming waves across the bow.
- auto bilge & a good battery. And make sure your float switch is working.
- a good Sunbrella cover that goes over the glass, vents & gunnels. If it doesn't cover the glass, it'll be filthy from the morning dew. If it doesn't cover all the vents, the boat will fill up with bugs & they will die in there.
- tie it off so the boat doesn't hit anything, and install bumpers wherever there is a chance it might hit the dock. I use a combination of ropes pre-tied off like Casey's drawing, using locking caribeeners to hook them to the boat & some PVC tie-offs something similar to these (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=26386&fcat=) to tie the boat off & don't have any bumpers installed at all. I made the things using PVC, caribeeners & rot proof rope I bought at Home Depot for about $15. When I moved into my current house/dock & everyone saw the setup I had made, 4 of them went to HD to bought the stuff to copy it. In 5 years my boat has never hit the dock & has weathered a storm or two without a problem. And to my knowledge none of the other 4 guys are having any problems either.
- Remove everything from your boat at night. Don't leave skis, ropes, boards, speakers, etc. unless your planning on loosing them. I have my tower speakers on quick release mounts I bought on Wakeside.com. Stereo is removeable faceplate & the amp is up inside the dash & hard to find, much less get out. The only thing left in the boat is mooring lines, bumpers & a few can coolers.
- I make every effort to pull the boat out when the weather goes bad or I am leaving town for more than a couple days.

Also, one last thing. Wax is great, especially for the sides & top of the boat, but it doesn't stay on the bottom of the boat. Wax all you like. But unless the surfaces are prepped (like when painting), the wax is removed in short order after driving 20 or 30 mph by the water pressure across the surface. We've proven this on aluminum foils and wouldn't expect glass to be any different.

PendO
04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
When you take it out to wax the boat, I think it is just important to let the hull dry really well. For example, if you pull it out on Sat. night to wax it on Sunday, don't put it back in Sunday. Maybe wait until tuesday or wednesday to let the gelcoat really dry out.

great advice.........................

captain planet
04-20-2006, 02:56 PM
Since you have to leave your boat in there all the time, I see one glaring problem with the pictures provided. Where are your bumper covers? Don't have any? :eek3: I won't let anyone that doesn't have bumper covers to park next to me in the cove unless they have bumper covers.

I know this has been covered, but I would back into the slip also.

One other thing that I thought of. I would be a little particular as to how my lines are laying on the gelcoat of the boat. If they are pulled across the gelcoat and are taut they may dull the gelcoat. Just a thought.

agua4fun
04-20-2006, 08:23 PM
Teak Platform?? Mine is in the water & sun 24/7 and i find that it weathers FAST. Every time a boat drives by, the platform gets wet. This is my second season, and i am trying another platform restoration TMC1s way, but either way, keep an eye on it and dont let it get too bad before you pull it and fix it.

Also as someone else here mentioned, durring the first storm, go check it out. You will learn alot about how the boat, floating dock, wind, and waves act with eachother. point it into the current and the waves. check around your cleats after a few weeks for spider cracks. speaking of spiders, they like docks. i spray under my dock

Drying out the boat is more difficult at a marina slip without the trailer ride home to help dry. Also because you will get back to the slip with damp carpet and are likely to put the top on it right then since you wont be back for a few days, it sits in the sun baking that moisture in there. if you come up with a solution for this one let me know.

AirJunky
04-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Drying out the boat is more difficult at a marina slip without the trailer ride home to help dry. Also because you will get back to the slip with damp carpet and are likely to put the top on it right then since you wont be back for a few days, it sits in the sun baking that moisture in there. if you come up with a solution for this one let me know.

Dry-z-air dehumidifiers (http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catalog/category_249_DriZAir_Products_page_1.html) . They require no power & are like $1 to refill. And their available at any hardware store or Walmart under the sun.

PS: gave up on the teak long ago. Looks great till it hit s the sun & the water.

roddydog
04-20-2006, 09:01 PM
What's the deal with no roof??

roddydog
04-20-2006, 09:12 PM
Dry-z-air dehumidifiers (http://www.drytheair.com/xcart/store/catalog/category_249_DriZAir_Products_page_1.html) . They require no power & are like $1 to refill. And their available at any hardware store or Walmart under the sun.

PS: gave up on the teak long ago. Looks great till it hit s the sun & the water.
Looks good AJ. How long does a package last?

Might have to get me some of those!!! :toast:

agua4fun
04-21-2006, 08:29 PM
hmm, do they work fast enough to make a difference. I can imagine they work over the winter, but how about for daily use?

AirJunky
04-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Looks good AJ. How long does a package last?

Might have to get me some of those!!! :toast:
Depends on how much water you have in the boat & how good a cover you have. When I lived in Seattle (where it rains) and I had the factory cover, I'd replace those pellets like once a month. Now that I have a nice Sunbrella cover & I moved 300 miles east in the desert, I replace them like once a year!
You will be amazed how dry the boat interior is with those babies workin for ya, even on a daily basis.

parrish1
04-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Check out Sunstream boat lifts. You may be allowed to use this type lift since it is not supported by the dock at all. You tie it to the dock just like you do your boat. Heres the link http://www.sunstreamcorp.com/ssc/floatlift.html
Beautiful lake and you will love having it on the water, just try to keep it out of the water when not in use.

Doug G
04-22-2006, 12:58 AM

Thanks all.

One of the things I am adjusting to on this boat is the lack of front cleats. That makes this tie up not possible. If I back it in I have to change the cleats the marina installed. A possiblity but I am thinking I am going to see how this works when the other boats show up and a busy weekend comes around.

I am adding the shock absorbers this weekend.

No I didn't paint the bottom but it will come out and get pulled home on a yet to be determined frequency for cleaning. According to the dealer, they have not seen a blister problem on this lake.

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback

erkoehler
04-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Doug,

If I were you, I would just plan on pulling the boat on holiday weekends when you won't be out on it. With some much boat and people traffic, it might now be worth it to keep it docked. Tons of rollers, and the possibility of more people admiring your boat and "borrowing" something from it.

Doug G
04-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Did you paint the bottom for antifuling? Where on Lake Wallenpaupack is this docked? that lake can get really rough.

Yeah it can get rough at times. I am down on the more protected end though.

Jerseydave
04-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Doug,

Properly tied-up, your MC should be fine at Sterling.
Did you buy it from Brian there? They are an excellent dealer!
I was there last labor day weekend, for the Liquid Force tour. They hosted a great weekend, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Good luck with your new boat!

Doug G
04-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Yup. Dealt with Brian and Ryan. They have been great. I was there for the tour last year also. Son and I rode with Kevin Henshaw right after he got a mohawk in the bus! It was great time.

Jerseydave
04-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Doug,

You should trailer your boat down to Bordentown, NJ on June 3rd for our first annual NJ east/west wakefest! Water should be in the 70's with lots of room and depth (40+ ft.) in the delaware river.

Looks like a big turnout so far, but the more the better!

Check out www.wakeworld.com and look for the NJ riders 2006 thread.

Should be a slammin' good time! :D

Doug G
04-22-2006, 10:45 PM
I've been following the thread over there. Sounds like a great time but it's a bit far to go get the boat from Lake Wally and then to Bordentown. Anyone make it out to Blue Marsh?