PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Rope?

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok, how many sections are supposed to be on a slalom rope? I am looking at buying a new rope and handle, but I just looked and there are 8, 10, and 11 section slalom ropes! Which one do I need?

Also, does anybody know of any online sites that offer good deals on ropes, or is it just the standard overtons, barts, ski limited?

BrianM
04-19-2006, 07:55 PM
Depends on how much you want to shorten the rope. 8 section is plenty for most people. Call Brenda at In Tow. Great ropes and good prices. http://www.jlbmfg.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

School Skier
04-19-2006, 07:57 PM
Erk, I think that's it! I did get some ski equipment from a place called Shadetree check it out and let me know how you did.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Depends on how much you want to shorten the rope. 8 section is plenty for most people. Call Brenda at In Tow. Great ropes and good prices. http://www.jlbmfg.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html

Do you know about how much her handles and ropes run?

BrianM
04-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Do you know about how much her handles and ropes run?

They run about $100 bucks. Can't beat the quality and service. I use one of her elipticals and won't use any other handle.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 08:45 PM
$100 each or 100 for handle and rope? Sorry I wasn't more specific... :D

BrianM
04-19-2006, 08:49 PM
That is for rope and handle. Go to the link I posted and scroll to the bottom she has prices there.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Didn't even notice that the page went down that far, thanks :toast:

rodltg2
04-19-2006, 09:05 PM
Ok, how many sections are supposed to be on a slalom rope? I am looking at buying a new rope and handle, but I just looked and there are 8, 10, and 11 section slalom ropes! Which one do I need?

Also, does anybody know of any online sites that offer good deals on ropes, or is it just the standard overtons, barts, ski limited?

none of the above unless your lending it to a shortline skier.. what do need the rope for. unless your getting seroius about course skiing you can get a rope for alot less than 100bucks

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 09:20 PM
none of the above unless your lending it to a shortline skier.. what do need the rope for. unless your getting seroius about course skiing you can get a rope for alot less than 100bucks

It is time to start getting serious about slalom.....I have to come down and show you whats up at ski school next year :uglyhamme

I want a sectioned rope, but I don't need to spend an arm and leg on the handle.

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Brian, has Brenda gotten new small diameter handle cores again (probably a dumb question). I called her middle of last summer and she was having some supply problems (I wanted a very small diameter not currently in stock).

She was great about getting back to me even though ultimately, it didn't come in soon enough for me.

BrianM
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Brian, has Brenda gotten new small diameter handle cores again (probably a dumb question). I called her middle of last summer and she was having some supply problems (I wanted a very small diameter not currently in stock).

She was great about getting back to me even though ultimately, it didn't come in soon enough for me.

Don't know. I haven't purchased a handle from her in two years. Just found a knot in my 28 off section so unless my starting pass is 32 :rolleyes:I need to give her a call and order a new rope. Handle is still in great shape.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Maybe we can get a....dare I say it......GB?

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 10:23 PM
Nah, I'm good on rope and handle at the moment. Just got a new Masterline .88" last year. I like it a lot.

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 01:47 AM
erk, you canr go wrong with a masterline 8 section ..

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 01:59 AM
erk, you canr go wrong with a masterline 8 section ..

Thanks...I just want to avoid using a "camp" rope all summer.

sizzler
04-20-2006, 04:31 AM
Thanks...I just want to avoid using a "camp" rope all summer.

is it pink then????

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
is it pink then????

I'm sure that they aren't pink, and for all I know it could be very good equipment, but who knows if they have knots, or sections missing.

I would rather just use my own rope, get comfortable with the handle, and then still be comfortable when I come home.

rodltg2
04-20-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm sure that they aren't pink, and for all I know it could be very good equipment, but who knows if they have knots, or sections missing.

I would rather just use my own rope, get comfortable with the handle, and then still be comfortable when I come home.

good plan, its best to use your own rope and handle. do not use a rope with knots, can be very dangerous.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah, knots are bad. Erk, I'd bet that their equipment is good. Doesn't make a lot of sense to buy 197s and skimp on the ropes. But using your own stuff is always a good thing like rod said.

erkoehler
04-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Yeah, knots are bad. Erk, I'd bet that their equipment is good. Doesn't make a lot of sense to buy 197s and skimp on the ropes. But using your own stuff is always a good thing like rod said.

I'd agree that I am sure that they'll have very nice equipment, however like you said it is always good to use your own equipment. That way, I won't have to re-adjust back to my rope/handle after 10 weeks.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Take your own handle at the very least. How you set for gloves?

quincyfirefighter
04-20-2006, 09:08 PM
It is time to start getting serious about slalom.....I have to come down and show you whats up at ski school next year :uglyhamme

I want a sectioned rope, but I don't need to spend an arm and leg on the handle.
Erk try the Masterline Dix 11 Section Perfect Pass Mainline. www.masterlineusa.com Won't brake the bank and is a good mainline to build off of. I have one and love it. Now if I could only ski as good :rolleyes: Each section is color coated and has a rubber label at each section to show where you are at. Now if I could find the perfect handle, I would be big. Any ideals :firejump:

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Isn't the PP mainline for the switch?

The 12" "small diameter" masterline handle has worked well for me.

For custom stuff, I'd definitely check with brenda at in-tow first.

Farmer Ted
04-20-2006, 11:10 PM

K-Mart

Wal-Mart

Target

all have those cheap slalom ropes

erkoehler
04-21-2006, 12:32 AM
K-Mart

Wal-Mart

Target

all have those cheap slalom ropes

Not quite that cheap :)

PendO
04-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Erk, I would like a picture of you barefooting with a tow chain as the rope

erkoehler
04-21-2006, 01:30 AM

What's a tow chain?

PendO
04-21-2006, 01:35 AM
What's a tow chain?
you don't have a tow chain?

LakePirate
04-21-2006, 01:36 AM

Holding it with is teeth

PendO
04-21-2006, 01:39 AM
Holding it with is teeth

or wrapped around his waist with a lock ... that would be tough erk, way better than that bananna guy ... kind of a barefoot meets david coperfield theme.
i.e. if you fall you are screwed.

LakePirate
04-21-2006, 01:42 AM
and you thought rope burn was bad...

erkoehler
04-21-2006, 01:43 AM
:steering: or wrapped around his waist with a lock ... that would be tough erk, way better than that bananna guy ... kind of a barefoot meets david coperfield theme.
i.e. if you fall you are screwed.

I think I'll take a pass on that one... :rolleyes:

Have you been drinking? :banana:

PendO
04-21-2006, 01:44 AM
and you thought rope burn was bad...

that way he doesn't have to run around the lake with the handle in tow trying to stretch the rope out ... ever do that:) I always break a new rope in with a 10 minute WOT run ... we don't use the red flag, not sure what the rules are.

LakePirate
04-21-2006, 01:47 AM
that way he doesn't have to run around the lake with the handle in tow trying to stretch the rope out ... ever do that:) I always break a new rope in with a 10 minute WOT run ... we don't use the red flag, not sure what the rules are.

Once the rope pulls my big butt out of the water, it is as streched as it is going to get.

:steering:

hleepert
04-21-2006, 08:46 AM
www.theliquidedge.com. Doug is just getting his online stroe started but he has great deals on all slalom equipment. His number is 217-649-2698. I got an ARS handle and a PP 11 ection pre-strectched line for about $85. I highly reccomend the ARS handle as it doesn't roll in your hand.

erkoehler
04-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

quincyfirefighter
04-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Isn't the PP mainline for the switch?

The 12" "small diameter" masterline handle has worked well for me.

For custom stuff, I'd definitely check with brenda at in-tow first.
Ya it is eastie but it comes with extra .5m orange and white section at the handle end of the rope to be used without the switch. ;) I like it because of the difference color sections and the rubber sleeve at each section that has the section and how much off. Kind of cool :rolleyes:

east tx skier
04-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Not quite that cheap :)

If you're looking for something cheap, but not CHEAP, just get a straightline, masterline, or accurate 8 section rope. Should not run you more than $30. I think you can get accurate (by H.O. IIRC) at Academy.

You don't need the additional sections down to 43 off.

Leroy
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I bought two section ropes from sporting goods store for less than $30 each.

Spend your money on good gloves! Get good gloves!

TMCNo1
04-21-2006, 12:30 PM
you don't have a tow chain?

Pointed out to someone the other day, a guy pulling a chain across a parking lot and someone said, "Why is that guy pulling that chain?" I politely asked him if he had ever seen anyone push a chain! :eek: :rolleyes: