PDA

View Full Version : How Much Improvement During a Ski Season?

#47of100TeamMC
04-19-2006, 02:43 PM
I want to get talking about running the Slalom course. I've been slaloming for a few years now, used to wakeboard. Last year at the very end of the season actually my very Last weekend on the water. A neighbor had a slalom course in the lake and I'd always wanted to try the course. (just free skied before that) The water was pretty choppy actually had white caps on it. But I didn't care I wanted to try it. I had the line at 15off and went to make my first pass. I missed the Entrance gates on the early side, and ran all 6 bouys and the exit gate. 2nd pass I hit the entrance gates and ran all 6 with exit gates. I WAS PUMPED! that was the last set on the water for the year... Right now I have a new Ez-slalom course in the garage just waiting to see water!

Now for the discussion topic... How much have you guys improved in the course over the duration of a season. what is average, what can I expect? I've watched pretty much every slalom video I could get my hands on this winter. They make It look SOO easy (which is probably only going to make me frustrated this summer) How much can a guy expect to improve? what are you guys running? how old were you when you started the course?...

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 02:52 PM
The amount that you can improve over a summer can't be determined by anyone but yourself.....with that said, you have to take into consideration how often you ski, how long your sets are, will you be able to get any instruction from ski schools, or are there any other slalom skiers in your "group" that will be able to help you analyze your runs.

Ski as much as possible, as often as possible and you will get better.

G-man
04-19-2006, 03:08 PM
I find if I ski the course 3 times a week I improve. 2 times a week I maintain and don't progress. At my age I'm ok with that. Finally went out last weekend and still feel the sore muscles. I'ts going to be a rough season I think.

BrianM
04-19-2006, 03:12 PM
It really depends on how dedicated you are to ski and instruction which means time on the water. Two years ago I was basicly just getting into skiing the course. I skied 3 days a week in the summer. Went to ski school for a day and always had veteran course skiers in the boat giving me tips. I went from sking the course 15 off 30 mph to occasionally running my 22 off pass 36 mph in about three months. That was my experience you may very well progress faster or slower.

BrianM
04-19-2006, 03:13 PM
Somehow managed to double post :confused:

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 03:32 PM
It really depends on how dedicated you are to ski and instruction which means time on the water. Two years ago I was basicly just getting into skiing the course. I skied 3 days a week in the summer. Went to ski school for a day and always had veteran course skiers in the boat giving me tips. I went from sking the course 15 off 30 mph to occasionally running my 22 off pass 36 mph in about three months. That was my experience you may very well progress faster or slower.

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

Ski school is a great thing, but if you don't work at it apart from that, and moreover, work at it in the course, you won't likely see as swift a result. I've progressed more slowly than I'd like and I think it's a direct correlation to my not skiing as often as I'd like.

#47of100TeamMC
04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Perhaps I should Re-state my question.

How have you done Year to year? How fast did you improve? Personalize it, not generalize it.
(whew, I'm glad were not the same. I was worried)

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 04:14 PM
My forays into the course were very sporadic up until last season (when we got our own course). After that, they were sporadic until the end of July. I guess I don't have a lot of natural ability as I'm still struggling with the 15 off pass at 30 mph. But with a bit of regularity, I picked up 3 balls in a matter of a couple of months, which amounted to about 5 trips to the course.

I'm expecting more use this year and more balls to fall.

Running 15 off on your second try is more in a mater of 14 seconds than I've achieved in a couple of years.

:rant:

That said, I'm having fun even when I'm not skiing well by my standards. If you are having fun, improvement is secondary. But it still feels good. I felt as good getting around that three ball as I did the first time I got around the two ball.

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 04:43 PM
I've been thinking about starting a thread like this. I wondered the same thing. My brief history: I've free skied all my life, but only a few times a year at the grandparent's cabin behind an outboard. My sister & I got our MC in '97, I got on a Connelly ski (OK, it was my sister's Silouette!), and was amazed at how much more fun skiing was. I was hooked! We skied 2-3 times a week for the first few years. I thought I was gettin' pretty good . . . until I tried the course! That was in about 2000. For the next few years, I ran the course maybe 4-5 times total each year. Finally made 15 off at 30 MPH in prob 2001, a year after starting the course, but only 6 or 7 passes. I was stoked! Then course skiing took a back seat (got married, had kids, etc), but now we ski on a private lake with timeslots. Been doing that for 3 years, so I've been getting through the course more. I only average about once per week, though, and have only made it to 15 off @33 MPH :mad: Now that the kids are able to ride in the boat, and the wife learns to drive the course this spring, and I installed Perfect Pass last fall, I expect to get much more skiing in.
I've also watched a lot of videos, but I think the biggest thing was videotaping myself. I got a Trakker last fall, and was amazed by how little I was really leaning & pulling across the wake. I thought I was pulling so hard, esp stong side, but the video was pretty humbling. It looked like I'm not even really trying! I see myself ease off before the wake, and didn't really realize I was doing that. No wonder I can't even make 15 off @34 MPH! As previously mentioned, I really don't expect to get much better until I can ski at least 2X/week.
I tell ya, skiing the course is such a rush! I'm hooked on chasing buoys! I have to remember to free ski once in a while to not get stuck in a rut.
OK, that's enough rambling, sorry for the length. I'm getting excited-I get the boat in 2 days! :steering:

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Now for the discussion topic... How much have you guys improved in the course over the duration of a season. what is average, what can I expect? I've watched pretty much every slalom video I could get my hands on this winter. They make It look SOO easy (which is probably only going to make me frustrated this summer) How much can a guy expect to improve? what are you guys running? how old were you when you started the course?...
After all that rambling I realized I didn't really respond to your questions. For the few times I was able to string together 2-3 times per week for a few weeks, I could get consistent at a speed and bump it up 1 MPH. I spent a little bit at 30, then a few months at 31 (~10 passes), a few more months at 32(~15 more passes), and made a few 33 MPH passes last fall. Never got 34 clean. I guess I've only averaged 1 MPH per year! :rant: My B-I-L has the apparently rare year of PP that can be adjusted in 1 MPH increments. I don't, so I'll have to skip from 32 to 34 on my boat. I'm going to get into 22 off this year or go out the front trying!

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 05:10 PM
After all that rambling I realized I didn't really respond to your questions. For the few times I was able to string together 2-3 times per week for a few weeks, I could get consistent at a speed and bump it up 1 MPH. I spent a little bit at 30, then a few months at 31 (~10 passes), a few more months at 32(~15 more passes), and made a few 33 MPH passes last fall. Never got 34 clean. I guess I've only averaged 1 MPH per year! :rant: My B-I-L has the apparently rare year of PP that can be adjusted in 1 MPH increments. I don't, so I'll have to skip from 32 to 34 on my boat. I'm going to get into 22 off this year or go out the front trying!

Slight threadjack, but even though PP technically only allows 2 mph incriments, you can adjust by raising skier weight (or on 6.5, adding an rpm adjustment). Or just raise your baseline by about 75--100 rpms.

TMCNo1
04-19-2006, 05:11 PM
I find if I ski the course 3 times a week I improve. 2 times a week I maintain and don't progress. At my age I'm ok with that. Finally went out last weekend and still feel the sore muscles. I'ts going to be a rough season I think.

Anybody at your age gets sore just going to the toilet! :eek: Hey Dude, just messing with you, how ya doing?

Go to Ski School and learn the basics first to get rid of your already established bad habits!

ski36short
04-19-2006, 05:32 PM
I gained a pass per year once I got PerfectPass and a Goode. 32 off/36mph took me several years albeit two of those were short years for various reasons (injury and moving). Last year I finally figured that out and I'm hoping to see 6 ball at 35 this year. I'm sure the learning curve becomes exponentially harder at some point but for everyone and their situation (practice consistency, site quality, coaching desire, etc.) is different...

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Slight threadjack, but even though PP technically only allows 2 mph incriments, you can adjust by raising skier weight (or on 6.5, adding an rpm adjustment). Or just raise your baseline by about 75--100 rpms.
Thanks for the tip. That's what I was thinking too, just raise the skier weight. Or I may see if I can program the "36 MPH" preset to be a 33 MPH pass. That way the driver would get the "f" or "s" rather than having to spend all that extra energy looking 6" over at the chart I pasted next to the speedo. :rolleyes: Not sure if the programming would allow that though. I'll likely never see 36 MPH-the jump from 32 to 34 is hard enough!

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 06:30 PM
I gained a pass per year once I got PerfectPass and a Goode. 32 off/36mph took me several years albeit two of those were short years for various reasons (injury and moving). Last year I finally figured that out and I'm hoping to see 6 ball at 35 this year. I'm sure the learning curve becomes exponentially harder at some point but for everyone and their situation (practice consistency, site quality, coaching desire, etc.) is different...
6 at 35 off? Then you can quit your day job and join the tour! I think I hit the wall at 15 off. :noface:

BrianM
04-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. That's what I was thinking too, just raise the skier weight. Or I may see if I can program the "36 MPH" preset to be a 33 MPH pass. That way the driver would get the "f" or "s" rather than having to spend all that extra energy looking 6" over at the chart I pasted next to the speedo. :rolleyes: Not sure if the programming would allow that though. I'll likely never see 36 MPH-the jump from 32 to 34 is hard enough!

Don't just raise the skier weight. This will throw of the speed at the gates and will really effect the pull of the boat because PP factor in a percentage of skier weight.

Increase the crew weight or add about 100 rpm to your baseline. This will not affect the pull just the speed.

BrianM
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
I also think that it is a good thing to set goals and then train to reach those goals. Last year my goal was to make my opening pass 22 off and ski 32 off. I succeded with the opening pass but missed 32 by one bouy. This year my goals are to be more consistent at 28, frequently run deep into 32 and make at least one full pass at 35. Practice, practice, practice.

rodltg2
04-19-2006, 07:29 PM

not correct, i dont know how to do it, but you can set the perfect pass to go up in 1mi incriments..and not my adjusting skier weight etc..

woops, i didnt kniow there was a rare year that it could. if thats the case that year would have been 2003..

BrianM
04-19-2006, 08:07 PM
not correct, i dont know how to do it, but you can set the perfect pass to go up in 1mi incriments..and not my adjusting skier weight etc..

woops, i didnt kniow there was a rare year that it could. if thats the case that year would have been 2003..

Version 6.4 and lower you could adjust in 1 mph increments. They dropped that functionality with 6.5

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 10:07 PM

Brian, good point about the skier weight. It will still ramp up to what you put in. It will just be more drastic versus your actual weight (pretty fast 1 ball).

Rod, maybe restart the system in 6.5 and they allow you to do that? I can't remember precisely, but what you're saying make's sense.

So what's the RPM bump do?

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Ok, It seems I know NOTHING about PP compared to you guys... In previous years, we've just used Wakeboard mode and uped the speed to 30,32,34 while slaloming. But now this year when I've got a course to drop in the lake... I'm going to neet to setup slalom mode... (and I'm sure this is on another thread, but since you guys are chatting about it) I've read the PP manual and think i have it figured out to seting up the baseline rpm and such. If I remember it right, you need a course to run through to be able to time the boat from Entrance gate to Exit gate... is that correct? Then you have to run each speed and set each speed timed through the course?

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
If you have a course with magnets, that is correct. If no magnets, use the hand timer. On 6.5, you can also set the speedometer using GPS (in 6.4 you could only do this in WB mode and it wouldn't carry over). You can also set baselines using GPS in 6.5. For some reason, I don't think you could just change them like this in 6.4.

One nice feature that saved me some time in 6.5 is that I could just go in and preset (enter) all my baselines that I had written down from the prop test. Not as many times through to get it all down when checking them in the course after the chip upgrade.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 11:23 AM
So how does the hand timer work? you click it on the entry and exit gates? I'll have to read up I suppose before I take it out to try.

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Pick a set point on the boat (like the little area you can see out of on the side windshield or one of the vertical supports on the bow grab rail). When the entrance gate ball, 3 ball, and exit gate ball are even with that point, push the button. Probably easier for a spotter to do it actually.

It accomplishes what the magnets and sensor accomplish (giving the boat the course times, ramping up the skier weight factor at the entrance, adding rpms for equalization or whatever at the 3 ball). I've used mine when I've had magnet issues and it's been close enough for my purposes (but I'm not a tournament skier). Kind of a pain for the driver. The smart timer is much easier to deal with.

I recommend magnets. www.skiertoskier.com We got the economy mags last year and they've worked great. About $13 per mag. You need six. We got 7 just to have a spare if need be. The next strength up will run you $19 or so.

#47of100TeamMC
04-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Do you need to use the hand timer each time down the course when a skier is skiing? or is this just to set the baseline RPM?

east tx skier
04-20-2006, 12:11 PM
If you want course times with a skier in tow, then you need to trigger the system with either the hand or smart timers. Also, your baseline will not ramp up the extra 28% of skier weight in rpms (1 rpm per pound) at the 1 ball, nor will it drop rpms for the SSB factor (assuming you've preset this) at the 3 ball without input from either the smart or hand timer.

So, at the very least, hit the hand timer at the entrance gates. Again, I'd say just invest in magnets. It's hard enough to keep that boat straight in the course with a skier in tow without trying to be precise with the hand timer.