PDA

View Full Version : Engine Hesitation in Right Turn

tall_ andy
09-30-2004, 12:46 PM
As the title says, last night I took the boat out for a quck dry out run after all the rain up here in Jersey. Since I didn't have anyone else in the boat I decided to turn a little harder than normal. When I turned to the left no problem, but as the turn got tighter going right, the engine hesitated (I'm thinking fuel starvation) once I straightened out it was fine.
Just to note I had a full tank of gas.
88' Prostar 190 with 351 and Velvet drive.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

OhioProstar
09-30-2004, 12:52 PM
You starved the engine for gas at the carb. Short track race cars use a modified carb for this very reason.

Lance
09-30-2004, 01:07 PM
I have an 87 with the same setup and haven't ever noticed a similar problem but OhioProstar could be onto it. The "modified carb" is just a different float design in that the hinge is on the back (or front depending on which bowl you are talking about) instead of the side which isn't impacted the fuel all moving to one side. Drag racers have the opposite problem in that the they need a side mount float as all the fuel goes to the back of the bowl during acceleration.

If this is in fact a float related issue I wouldn't hussle out to change though as you could be exchanging a problem during sharp turns for a problem during acceleration and nose up conditions.

Lance

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 02:43 PM
I've turned my boat pretty hard and haven't had this come up with the new carb. About how hard did you turn that thing?

tall_ andy
10-01-2004, 09:01 PM
I didn't think it was that hard, but I was the only one in the boat, and was sitting down. It was a good hard turn, but not quite a "flat spin"
I am going to try again on Sat and see what happens.
On another subject........
3@15off and 32 mph tonight!!!!!
Water was like glass!!!!!!!!!

jimmer2880
10-04-2004, 06:37 AM
WOW! - congrats! Tha'ts a fun area to be in (22 off).

It's officially been 2 years since I've been in a course. AND I OWN A COURSE! But - the river has been soo bad from all the rain 2 years in a row it's insane! We actually put 1/2 the sub-bouys in about 6 weeks ago, but never got finished. I'm going Nucking Futs with all this free-skiing. Guess I'll have to start all over again next year. :(

bret
10-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Overfill the tranny just a bit and try it again.

Tgchrist
10-20-2004, 10:20 PM
As Bret says, check the transmission fluid level. I had the exact problem last summer. Thought for sure it was fuel related. We lifted the engine cover and duplicated the issue. Noted that it was the tranny slipping not the carburetor. Added just a little more in and problem solved.