PDA

View Full Version : Stars & Stripes Seats

shellabargerj
04-19-2006, 01:46 PM
I'm in the middle of a restore on my 1978 Stars & Stripes. I'm having some trouble with the seats - I have to replace the driver's seat, but the observer's seat is causing some problems.

It's the 2-piece kind - there's a bottom L-shaped wood-bottom cushion, and the back support is just a pad snapped onto the fiberglass.

Do you have any advice or suggestions for ways to make this work?

I am buying a new driver's seat that will match the carpet, and want the observer's seat to match as closely as possible.

Thanks for your responses. If I can get to my other computer, I'll post a photo so you can see what's up.

JWS

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 01:48 PM
I think your best option may be to have the observer seat recovered locally and have it matched to the driver seat as best possible.

M-Funf
04-19-2006, 01:50 PM
First off, WELCOME :D

Good to see another S&S on the board...can't wait to see your pictures.

What you do with upholstry in the older boats (in my opinion) really depends on what you want. If you want it to be as close to original as possible, then you need to re-upholster the same as it was.

If you're not too concerned about that, replace the drivers seat with one that adjusts (at least forward and backward), and then upholster the observer seat to match. You may want to make the observers seat a bit more user-friendly (make the back flip up for storage access, for instance).

A good upholsterer should be able to redo the seat for you at a reasonable cost...

Welcome, and good luck with the interior.
:toast:

shellabargerj
04-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Another question:

As part of the project, we're replacing the old gauges (except the classic, functioning speedos) and the dashboard. I've seen some people's dashboards on here - with the turned aluminum or something like that.

I've bought an aluminum sheet but can't get it to fit quite right. I also have some wood-grain contact paper (which is what i took off of the dash when I started the project.

Do you have any tips to make this process go smoother? I spent a long time working on it, and I can't get things to work out right.

JWS

sbuell
04-26-2006, 01:10 AM
My '82 had the same fixed seat back. I had the upholstery guy build new seat backs and changed it so the the back flipped up to the storage under the bow. It ment changing the side piece to a L shape. I then cut out the fiberglass behind the seat and reinforced with a stainless steel cross member as the dash area flexed a little more than I liked once I cut out the section. I will try to get some pictures. This is one of the better changes I made to the boat as now I have much better access to the space under the bow. I no longer had to lift the seat pad and try to reach through the tight opening.

shellabargerj
04-26-2006, 10:20 AM
SBuell:

That sounds like a great idea - we're still at the point where we could consider doing that. I would be really interested in seeing photos to get ideas to move forward.

I have seen some other guys with the older boats go to the flip-up seat for storage, though. It would really clean up the boat and make for more room if I could put more things up there.

your profile says you're in MO - how's the water where you are?

Still water temps around 60 here in Mid-missouri.

JWS

sbuell
04-27-2006, 01:45 AM
Here are a couple of pics. I just snapped these quick and I was in the middle of working on some other projects in the boat so forgive the mess in the photos. Be sure to pay attention to how the seat base mounts to the dash area. I almost didn't leave enough space for this connection when I orginally did my modification. I trimed out the opening with stainless steel angles that improved the strength and cleaned up the edges of the opening. Since I also cut out the seat base I reinforced the bottom of the seat itself so that it could span across the open rear edge. It doen't end up being a huge opening but it is enough to get lifevests out without lifting the whole seat and has allowed us to actually slip a couple of extra skiis up there as well.

shellabargerj
04-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for these - I'm going to get through finals and then get back to work on the project.

dichdoc
04-29-2006, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're wanting to do with the dash. Cut new aluminum to fit or contact paper, plug the old holes? I am a fifth generation master engine turner (or a one time drill press monkey) Give me some details and I'll try and help. Of course my discount price for TMC members for dash jeweling is still in effect until May 15th for the nominal fee of $17,000.00. TB