PDA

View Full Version : Bimini For PS 190 w/ Zero Flex Tower?

Thrall
04-19-2006, 12:20 PM
After installing my tower and looking at several ways to modify my bimini to fit, I have come to the conclusion that I need to get a bimini made for the tower.
Can anyone point me towards some different sources to purchase a bimini that is made to fit under the tower?

Would like to stay away from buying MC directly as I'm sure it will be more costly.

Cousin_Jeff
04-19-2006, 12:22 PM
I used towerbiminis.com. They were referred to me by someone on this board and I am pleased with the top. Very sturdy and high quality.

jake
04-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Thrall: how did that tower end up working out? Any pics?

Thrall
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Jeff, thanks, I'll check them out!
Jake, The tower worked out good. Just finally put it on a couple weeks ago. Only minor problem I had installing it was where both of the right side holes needed to be happened to be right next to where there are conduits glassed to the underside of the deck for holding wire looms. Required me to cut down the backing plates a bit, but I think they still will provide enough support.
The tower was actually fabbed about 3/4" shorter on the left side than the right, but its not noticable to the naked eye. I'm looking forward to giving it a "pull."
I will take some pics the next time I have it out of the garage, and post.

Never2old
04-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I also used the gang from towerbiminis.com. I am really pleased with the bimini, it doesn't rattle or flap, it does rattle when folded up and you hit some waves though, some padding around the structure will probably cure this issue.

I'll try to post a pic.

Thrall
04-24-2006, 08:02 AM
never2old, That looks really nice on your boat. I got a quote from Laura at towerbiminis. I am going to order one from them.

jkski
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
You may also consider calling Mid Ohio Watersports, I know they had a couple of bimini's from MC sitting there, that customers did not end up taking, etc. Anyways, if they have the right color for you, and it fits your tower, you may be able to get a good deal on an original MC Bimini.
www.midohiowatersports.com

Good luck.

Thrall
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
jkski, I will check that out. Thx for the heads up.

AirJunky
04-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey Thrall, I did the tower install 4 or 5 yrs ago on my 94 205 & ran into the same issue on each back leg, running into the wiring looms with the backing plates. We chose to cut the looms out & stay with the full size backing plates, which are about 3" tall by 5" or 6" long. And last summer I noticed one of mine are cracking. It still looks likes it's only the gelcoat surface & I can pin down when it happened. I was next to a dock & someone wasn't paying attention & let the boat hit the dock. I don't know if the hit was from underneath the tower foot or head on.
Anyway, be very carefull with cutting those backing plates down much. I know one other guy who had the whole side of his '96 PS190 re-fiberglassed & re-gelcoated after a shoddy tower install. His backing plates were circular, about 4" in diameter.

c640947
04-24-2006, 04:31 PM
I did the same thing - PS 190 with New Dimension tower and got a bimini from towerbiminis.com. The thing is awesome. I highly recommend it.

Thrall
04-24-2006, 05:28 PM
AJ,
Now I'm worried!!! :eek:
Both the right side mounts have a pvc sleeve that's glassed in under the deck close to where the mounting bolt is. The plates that came w/ the tower (used) are 4" x 5" (from memory?). The R front mount, I cut about 3/4" off of one of the long sides. The R rear mount is probably only 3"x4" now. I could cut off the front pvc that's in the way pretty easily, but The rear one is f.....near impossible to get to. I figured as long as the inside plate is at least as big as the outside surface, it s/b ok.
I have a friend w/ a Zero Flex on a Seadoo challenger and his tower only has fender washers behind it. Has lasted 3 seasons now w/ no cracks in the gel. DO you think the air chairs put more stress on the tower than boards/skis?? Surely his boat is not built stouter than a MC.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to see what I can do about getting a bigger plate under the R rear mount.

Kell
04-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey Thrall, I did the tower install 4 or 5 yrs ago on my 94 205 & ran into the same issue on each back leg, running into the wiring looms with the backing plates.

AJ, just ordered an XTP Zero Flex tower, racks, mirror arm, all scheduled to be delivered early May. Can you be enticed with beer for your tower installation expertise? :D

AirJunky
04-24-2006, 06:31 PM
Thrall,
Seems like we had to reach way up inside or pull part of the interior out to get to that back foot, the seat & the upholstered side were in the way.
I know for a fact that foils are way more stress on the boat/tower connection, especially when a foil rider falls & tries to hold on for a while. But my own boat's crack was caused by a dock, not any rider of any kind. My buddy's PS190 was a combination of poor backing plates, not cleaning up the holes, and a flimsy AirBoom tower that flexed all over.

Hey Kell,
Sounds like you have a little project on your hands, huh! I'd be glad to give you a hand with it. Besides some beer, you might want to make sure you have a few other things:
- new/good drill bits.
- a way of suspending the tower over the boat, ie; rafters or a tree? We used a forklift on mine.
- A Dremel tool can be used to cut the PVC tubing that Thrall is working around. There are wires & speedo tubes inside though so everyone be careful.

Just let me know when & where.

Kell
04-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Hey Kell,
Sounds like you have a little project on your hands, huh! I'd be glad to give you a hand with it. Besides some beer, you might want to make sure you have a few other things:
- new/good drill bits.
- a way of suspending the tower over the boat, ie; rafters or a tree? We used a forklift on mine.
- A Dremel tool can be used to cut the PVC tubing that Thrall is working around. There are wires & speedo tubes inside though so everyone be careful.

Just let me know when & where.

Thanks AJ. I don't have immediate access to rafters, tree or fork lift, but I'll see what I can come up with. Which, by the way, is a great idea, so thanks for the heads up. Tower should be here the second week of May!