PDA

View Full Version : security cameras and recording

phecksel
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
This market is ripe for someone to do it right, and at a value price

I've been looking for a card, that will acquire security camera data, either wireless or wired (or combo) and feed it to a computer for continuous recording for later review.

A friend gave me some junk X10 stuff, and while his problem was different, I have it hooked to a VCR now, and it did trigger the VCR record for awhile, it stopped. The camera is also absolutely useless in low light. I would still need a card, and additional receivers.

I found K-World has a card, that most reviewers have said is junk, and the software made their computers unstable.

There was another one in the same price catagory, for some reason I can't find today, but same thing most reviewers think it's junk

Found one by Hauppauge, but while they're other products are highly assessed, couldn't find any on their security card.

Linksys has a wireless camera with built in router. People either love it, or hate it, nothing in between. Most people complain about low light capability.

Is there any successful experience here with cards that will collect video data from 3-4 cameras, compress it, allow for continuous or triggered data recording?

Right now I want three cameras on my house, one for the boat and boat house, one for the door, and third for the driveway. In all cases I either have or will have motion sensor lights set up.

bcampbe7
04-19-2006, 01:36 PM
I'm not up on home surveillance equipment but this may be what you are looking for:

http://www.smarthome.com/7757u.html

www.smarthome.com has some pretty cool stuff.

wiltok
04-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Do you have DSL or Cable internet access where you need the camera's?

PendO
04-21-2006, 01:29 AM
try here http://www.byremote.net/

Leroy
04-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I know even my old USB camera came with SW where you could have it do a lot of things, like snap a shot every few seconds and store to hard disc. I had it set up in the house for awhile looking out into the main part of the house.

Would be nice to have a wireless motion detecting camera for security, and agree the technology is here now.

phecksel
04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Do you have DSL or Cable internet access where you need the camera's?
close enough nearby, but so is my network, wired and wireless

wiltok
04-21-2006, 02:28 PM
I have what I feel is the ulimate set-up. It wasn't cheap - but it works better than I ever imagined. Basically, I'm using Panasonic net cameras. I have two - one was a little over $1000 and the other was $750.

They are fantastic!! Incredible resolution (see below), reliable, have internal SD cards for recording, record only motion if needed, great night vision, allow for two way sounds (I can talk into my microphone on my PC and a speaker on site will broadcast my voice and I can listen to a microphone on the site), I can switch devices on or off remotely, view remotely.

The $1000 model is the ultimate - but it's an indoor camera. It can pan almost 360 degrees, plus stright up and part way down. And, best of all, it has a 42x optical zoom. The $750 is an outdoor version - it pans and tilts but not as much. Plus, it is wireless and has a 10x digital zoom (which isn't that great). Let me know if you want more info - they can found a lot cheaper than list. Also, I've learned a few tricks along the way....

wiltok
04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
My buddy's house across the lake - about a half mile away.

wiltok
04-21-2006, 02:32 PM
The current temperature - inside and outside the house.

wiltok
04-21-2006, 02:35 PM
I watched these guys from work - I have the video but I'll just post a still picture. They were using metal detectors to scan the lake in front of my place..

phecksel
04-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I have what I feel is the ulimate set-up. It wasn't cheap - but it works better than I ever imagined. Basically, I'm using Panasonic net cameras. I have two - one was a little over $1000 and the other was $750.

They are fantastic!! Incredible resolution (see below), reliable, have internal SD cards for recording, record only motion if needed, great night vision, allow for two way sounds (I can talk into my microphone on my PC and a speaker on site will broadcast my voice and I can listen to a microphone on the site), I can switch devices on or off remotely, view remotely.

The $1000 model is the ultimate - but it's an indoor camera. It can pan almost 360 degrees, plus stright up and part way down. And, best of all, it has a 42x optical zoom. The $750 is an outdoor version - it pans and tilts but not as much. Plus, it is wireless and has a 10x digital zoom (which isn't that great). Let me know if you want more info - they can found a lot cheaper than list. Also, I've learned a few tricks along the way....

Thank, sent an email for additional info