PDA

View Full Version : Changing Transmission Fluid

CHUCKER
04-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi There,
I bought a hand pump to suck out the transmission fluid but when I tried to thread it on the top where the stick pulls out it does not fit, does the top part that holds the stick screw off first to get to the threads? it looks like it should but not sure, if it does screw off does anybody have a recommedation on what kind of tool to use to screw it off with? the slots are probably an inch apart and to wide to use any kind of screwdriver I have. One last question, the person I bought the boat from used Valvoline durablend synthetic in the tranny, I do not have access to this fluid where I am located (small town), but I can get the mobil one full synthetic, would that be an ok replacement? Thanks for your help.

Chucker

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Mine doesn't screw on at all. I just stick the end down in there (like a straw) and move it around making sure to keep it in the fluid.

If you have a 1:1, then Dexron III will be the ticket. If it's a powerslot, I think you'll want 15W40.

Hunterb
04-19-2006, 01:06 PM
I think you would be best to reduce your hose size rather than take the fitting off the tranny. You should be able to get some simple reducer to shove on the end of the hose you have. As for the type of fluid, there has been lots of discussion, but the Mobil synthetic should be fine.

Bruce

#47of100TeamMC
04-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Powerslot likes Dexron III too per manual and dealer suggestions.

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 01:21 PM
#47, for his 93, that's probably the case. But I think on the newer boats (and maybe all of them), they're saying 15W40 for the Powerslots and the V-drives to cut down on the noise.

CHUCKER
04-19-2006, 01:25 PM
The pump I bought is just a vacume pump and does not have a hose to go down into the tranny, I have used it to pump out my oil before and it just screws on and I pull the handle and it just sucks out, I thought I could use it for the tranny also but it sounds like I maybe need to get a different kind of pump for it. As far as the type of tranny it is I guess I don't know for sure, the boat is a '93 stars & stripes with the LT-1 motor if that makes any difference to what type of tranny it is.

Chucker

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Just for the record, here is the 2005 manual's recommendation for transmission fluid.

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 01:31 PM
The pump I bought is just a vacume pump and does not have a hose to go down into the tranny, I have used it to pump out my oil before and it just screws on and I pull the handle and it just sucks out, I thought I could use it for the tranny also but it sounds like I maybe need to get a different kind of pump for it. As far as the type of tranny it is I guess I don't know for sure, the boat is a '93 stars & stripes with the LT-1 motor if that makes any difference to what type of tranny it is.

Chucker

What size prop are you running?

Thrall
04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
To change the fliud in the trans, I have done it 2 different ways. Easiest and quickest, I used a drill operated pump ($15 or so at NApa) that I bought for changing the oil. Put a 2' or so piece of small hose on the pump and get down into the lowest part of the trans you can and suck it out. Gets most of the fluid out.
The other "redneck" way I did it is to use a turkey baster withe the sam piece of hose taped to the end of the baster. WOrks good, maybe leaves a little more of the old fluid in it, and takes 5-10 min instead of 2min to empty the trans.

#47of100TeamMC
04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
#47, for his 93, that's probably the case. But I think on the newer boats (and maybe all of them), they're saying 15W40 for the Powerslots and the V-drives to cut down on the noise.

Really, I guess I haven't noticed any unnecessary noise. I just changed it this past weekend. 2.6qts Dexron III. I'll have to Re-assess for this fall. Thanks East.

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Sure. I don't think it was ever a performance issue. Just a lot of people complaining about noise. ICBW.

CHUCKER
04-19-2006, 05:18 PM
What size prop are you running?
I'm not sure what size prop it is, all I know is it is a 4 blade prop.

CHUCKER
04-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Just for the record, here is the 2005 manual's recommendation for transmission fluid.
Thanks East for sending the recommendations for the tranny fluid.

CHUCKER
04-19-2006, 05:24 PM
To change the fliud in the trans, I have done it 2 different ways. Easiest and quickest, I used a drill operated pump ($15 or so at NApa) that I bought for changing the oil. Put a 2' or so piece of small hose on the pump and get down into the lowest part of the trans you can and suck it out. Gets most of the fluid out.
The other "redneck" way I did it is to use a turkey baster withe the sam piece of hose taped to the end of the baster. WOrks good, maybe leaves a little more of the old fluid in it, and takes 5-10 min instead of 2min to empty the trans.
Thanks Thrall,
You have given me a couple good options for sucking out the tranny fluid, I appreciate your help.

Chucker

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Like Easttx said, I never get all of the fluid out of mine. I usually measure what I take out and put that much back in. I believe the capacity is 2 qts for a 1:1 tranny and I usually get out around 1.5qts.

As far as sucking it out of the transmission, I usually do this when I put it on the trailer after it has been running all day....seems to be easier to get hot fluid out.

I used AMSOil synthetic for one season and switched back to DEXRON III. The clutch seems to be quiter and smoother with the DEXRON. Might be reality, might be just in my head.... :twocents: