PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

PendO
04-19-2006, 01:22 AM
If you found your boat outside, after a week of rain, no tent poles up, water pooled in the cover, with a thin layer of ice in the pool of water, damp carpet, and engine had enough water to cover 2/3 of the stem on the plug ...and you were paying for indoor storage during the winter ... I mean hypothetically speaking, what would you do?

Oh, its in the garage drying out with a fan in it.

Leroy
04-19-2006, 01:27 AM
How did it end up there and in that condition? I would blow a gasket if I expected something different and someone else knew what to do and just didn't do it....

AirJunky
04-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Be sure that whoever put it outside after you paid for indoor storage knows their liable for damages.
What the he11 happened?!

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 01:31 AM
1. FULL refund of storage cost.
2. FULL detailing of interior and exterior of boat FREE OF CHARGE!
3. Post detailing, you inspect the boat and they are liable for ALL Damage.
4. FREE INDOOR storage for next season.

5. If there is more damage, the list should be longer.

PendO
04-19-2006, 01:34 AM
Well, Bill (and Leroy and Erk), I drove by on I90 this weekend and thought I saw my tower mirror in the yard (for clarification, the mirror was on the tower, but since my mirror is a bit different I was pretty sure it was my boat as I drove by, as the yard is alongside the interstate) ... I had agreed to let them take it out of storage and summerize it for a potential customer to demo a month ago (nice guy huh) the guy never ended up taking it for a ride - supposedly he is going to get an 07 197, and somehow the boat ended up in the yard, instead of in the shop, or back in storage ... needless to say I will wait to see how I am taken care of, supposedly after they summerized they pulled the plugs and drained the water out, but I need to take it for a test ride (Bill, how is Liberty Lake looking) and make sure it all runs fine, drying out the carpet is a big concern to me, as it is not snap out, I didn't realize how wet it was today until I got in it with my socks ... my wife said I was being pretty calm, but I should have gotten my boat back dryer or at least as dry as I put it away ... ah well, had to vent ... not sure who the jackass was who put it in the yard, probably better that way.

For those of you who dont live here, we had an S-load of rain last week, and even snow fluries on Sat AM.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 01:43 AM
If the engine was drained, then there shouldn't be any problems with it. HOWEVER, I would put it through its paces and run it hard to make sure with the dealer in the boat.

So, what are you going to do? PM at ya....

PendO
04-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna take it out as soon as I get a chance, maybe this Saturday ...

88 PS190
04-19-2006, 01:59 AM
This was a dealer that did this to you? At the least 100 % detailed, and a detailed explaination of who's bright idea it was to leave it out.

PendO
04-19-2006, 02:07 AM
As pi'ssd as I am it is hard to flame on the shop as they are always nice, get the boats in on short notice, let us borrow the hand scanner to diagnose a problem last year ... I guess i just wonder what is realistic for me to expect for the mistake. I know my salesman was able to vent for me, as he was the one who used a bucket to get the water/ice out of the cover ... I don't want to kill the relationship with the shop, but my god, you think they would have pulled the plug and drained the water out before I picked it up today (Tues) ... after stopping by on Monday.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 02:11 AM
I think it is REALISTIC to expect what I listed above....the boat is dirty from what they did, so they should fix it by detailing it. You paid for indoor storage, that isn't what you received. They should give you the indoor storage that you already paid for next winter for free. If there is damage that wasn't there in the fall, its there fault, they pay for that too.

Bert
04-19-2006, 02:14 AM
If the engine was drained I don't think you should have any mechanical issues. I would get a good carpet cleaner to clean the carpet. A high quality powerful carpet cleaner will get all the dirt and uses very hot water. This will speed up the drying process. They should agree to pay for the cleaning and take care of any mechanical issues that show up.

bigmac
04-19-2006, 08:27 AM
If you found your boat outside, after a week of rain, no tent poles up, water pooled in the cover, with a thin layer of ice in the pool of water, damp carpet, and engine had enough water to cover 2/3 of the stem on the plug ...and you were paying for indoor storage during the winter ... I mean hypothetically speaking, what would you do?

Oh, its in the garage drying out with a fan in it.

I had that exact thing happen about 15 years ago. When I went in to complain, the owner just shrugged it off and refused to take care of it. I went out, took a lot of photos and filed a claim in small claims court for replacing the carpeting, replace the seats, complete inspection and overhaul of the running gear. It cost the guy a lot of money.

My advice Pendo, get LOTS of photos and documentation.

BriEOD
04-19-2006, 09:05 AM
That sucks Casey. I hope nothing is wrong.

PendO
04-19-2006, 09:42 AM
I got up early to see how it is ... the smell of "new boat" has been replaced by "wet new boat" ... but the fan seems to be doing its job ... and since it was down to freezing last night my diesel was not to happy about giving up the garage spot ... guess I need to plug it in as it started cold this morning at 2am

Leroy
04-19-2006, 09:47 AM
The save your heart version is....hey everyone makes mistakes, these boats are made to take water and recover ok, who hasn't been out on the lake when down pours hit and been really wet, get it really dry again every nook and cranny with cushions out and see what the shop does to help you. :)

There isn't any glass damage! ;)

BriEOD
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Casey--sounds like it is time for a garage expansion. ;)

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 11:22 AM
I got up early to see how it is ... the smell of "new boat" has been replaced by "wet new boat" ... but the fan seems to be doing its job ... and since it was down to freezing last night my diesel was not to happy about giving up the garage spot ... guess I need to plug it in as it started cold this morning at 2am

Man, I'd be livid. I'd have raised the dead about the tower mirror lying in the yard. I'd have a full diagnostic run on it to make sure the thing didn't freeze. Sorry to hear it.

For the wet boat smell, if you want it done sooner than later, hit that carpet with some no-bleach detergent and warm water and spray it out. Yeah, it'll be wet a bit longer, but the wet boat smell might not persist. Stand all the cushions up and keep that fan going.

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 11:44 AM
I've gotten caught in a few rainstorms on the lake that have absolutely soaked my boat's interior. I usually put it in the garage, put a 40pint home dehumidifier under the cover and run it overnight....usually dries things out well.

PendO
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Nothing wrong with the tower mirror, just that I could see it on the tower from the interstate as mine is different than most, that is why I showed up monday, as I could not be sure going past at 60 and all.

Nice thing about the on the water rainstorm, is you know it got wet, so you dont put it away with the cover on to incubate. And you pull the plug on shore and drain the engine compartment.

Man, I'd be livid. I'd have raised the dead about the tower mirror lying in the yard. I'd have a full diagnostic run on it to make sure the thing didn't freeze. Sorry to hear it.

For the wet boat smell, if you want it done sooner than later, hit that carpet with some no-bleach detergent and warm water and spray it out. Yeah, it'll be wet a bit longer, but the wet boat smell might not persist. Stand all the cushions up and keep that fan going.

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Pendo, I'd go ahead and scrub that vinyl good, too. You don't want anything pink or otherwise growing in it.

If the cover stinks (and is sunbrella), you can take it to some place that has an industrial sized washing machine. Hit it with 303 Fabric Guard after letting it air dry thorougly.

BrianS
04-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Second post today of someone's boat being treated carelessly while in storage. This is why I find it so hard to trust other people to take care of my stuff. They just don't care enough.

Here is what I would do. I'd ask for a full refund of this year's storage fees, like mentioned above. I would not ask them to detail it or work on it though. It's already obvious they don't care about it, why would you want them to mess it up any more. Obviously if there turns out to be other damage, I'd have them pay to have it fixed, preferably by someone else. Now find another place to store your boat.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong. You seem to be taking the right steps to get it dried out. I would pay special attention to the vinyl, make sure it gets totally dry and then protected with 303.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 12:22 PM
If another MC dealer is nearby, a switch might be in order, but he did say that in other instances, the dealer has been good to work with.

bcampbe7
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Sorry to hear that happened Casey. I would be pi$$ed to say the least.

That being said, I think what you are doing is right. I would also wait to see what the dealer does. Give them the opportunity to make things right. Accidents do happen.
In the meantime take a bunch of pictures and document everything (I think, though, with you educational background you already know this) :)

I am interested to see what MYMC or Jim@Baws thinks about this, and what they would do in this same situation.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

east tx skier
04-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear that happened Casey. I would be pi$$ed to say the least.

That being said, I think what you are doing is right. I would also wait to see what the dealer does. Give them the opportunity to make things right. Accidents do happen.
In the meantime take a bunch of pictures and document everything (I think, though, with you educational background you already know this) :)

I am interested to see what MYMC or Jim@Baws thinks about this, and what they would do in this same situation.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Since you've had good experiences with them in the past, I'm surprised they didn't try to make things right from the get go. I agree with Beau that everyone makes mistakes. Most good dealers I've dealt with will cop to them and bend over backwards to make it right without prodding. But since that hasn't happened, it never hurts to ask. But I'm sure you don't want to burn bridges if they have been, overall, a good dealer and maybe you don't have a lot of options in that department (or are still under warranty).

Maristar210
04-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Man I would be pi$$ed. I was not happy when I picked mined up after it sat outside for three nights before I picked it up and it did not even rain. Pendo that boat is B E A Utiful and they should be very apologetic along with offering to do what is right.

Please post what their response is for curiousity purposes.

Steve

oh, and the color combo... "schwing"

BrianS
04-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry guys, I'm not buying the "accidents happen" angle. You don't accidentaly leave someone's boat outside. They took it out to summerize to use for a customer demo. PendO was being way more generous than I would have been already!! Then someone was too lazy to put it away properly, that's not an accident.

Then, he shows up on Monday and calls them on it. He comes back Tuesday and nothing has been done!! If they were interested in making it right, his boat would have been in the shop with every fan they have on it and fully detailed when he came back Tuesday.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but if I dropped the coin on a boat as awesome as PendO's I'd want the best for it. Unfortunately, the best usually involves doing it yourself.

Just my $.02

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 03:01 PM
You stumbled on something that is so important to customer service. I always tell the people working for me to always treat the customer's facilities, equipment and money better than if it were your own. I'm pretty much a tight wad and when it comes to me acting on behalf of my clients, I am even more schrewd with their money.

:twocents:

When I find a dealer who cares for my boat like I do, they stand to make lots of money from me and from everyone I rave to about their service. There's a new shop opening up in the area and the owner knows how much he has to gain through good customer service.....I think he'll do well. ;)

AirJunky
04-19-2006, 08:24 PM
You guys obviously don't know this dealer. Use the search tool & you might find some stories I've posted here about them. And no one has ever contacted me about it. So I'd doubt there will be much response in this incident either.
Hey Casey, I'll be around on Saturday. If the public launch isn't open, your welcome to come use our beach. The lake has been gorgeous everyday lately so come on out.

SkySkiSpokane
04-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Not to "Dealer Bash" but none of this suprises me with Alpine Haus Marina. OH NO!! I said it!! That is why they only see my money in emergency situations. I would be soooo pissed Casey!!! Did you talk to Vince about it??

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
You stumbled on something that is so important to customer service. I always tell the people working for me to always treat the customer's facilities, equipment and money better than if it were your own. I'm pretty much a tight wad and when it comes to me acting on behalf of my clients, I am even more schrewd with their money.

:twocents:

When I find a dealer who cares for my boat like I do, they stand to make lots of money from me and from everyone I rave to about their service. There's a new shop opening up in the area and the owner knows how much he has to gain through good customer service.....I think he'll do well. ;)

What dealership are you referring to?

AirJunky
04-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Oooops, Dave spilled the beans! Uh oh, now Vince is gonna be pi$$ed at you!
Oh, wait, he already chewed you a new a$$ in front of a bunch of people at the boat show, huh.
Just goes to show ya........

SkySkiSpokane
04-20-2006, 12:38 AM
Yea the wife was ready to buy a new Malibu that night. :D

PendO
06-02-2006, 09:01 PM
my local buddies will love this ... go out to bs with my sales guy ... and check with the shop b/c they have not called my dad back in 2 weeks on the 04' X-star ... seems they were in disbelief that he had not been called back "are you sure we didn't call him back" ... "where is the boat" ... I tell them "it is in your yard, been here since it came out of storage, been waiting for you to summerize it" ... well, seems it was written on the May calendar but they just didn't do it, now it sits in the rain ... what is the point of dry winter storage only to sit in the rain? Well, I guess they will do it tomorrow ... I sure wish my/our level of service was commensurate with the brand! Sure it's only a boat, and I am not going to loose sleep over it (Heck, I have an employee that just found out his daughter has a brain tumor - puts things in perspective a bit)... anyone can sell a boat, it takes a professional to service a customer and his/her boat!

Anyone know where the valve for a ballast flush kit is on a PS197, my ballast works fine to clear out the anti-freeze, but it will not pick up water when I am on the lake, I can hear the pump runnning, but I am not filling the tanks?

skitilldark
06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
1. FULL refund of storage cost.
2. FULL detailing of interior and exterior of boat FREE OF CHARGE!
3. Post detailing, you inspect the boat and they are liable for ALL Damage.
4. FREE INDOOR storage for next season.

5. If there is more damage, the list should be longer.

And $10,000.00 at least for mental anguish.

Ric
06-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Ice? I'd move South!

PendO
06-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Ice? I'd move South!

Only the 197 had the ice ... the Xstar is just very wet.

Well, they never called back today:) Oh well, not like I expected it to get done ... at least it was sunny today, so maybe it got a bit dryer in the yard, at least my 197 is still dry in the garage so my kids can play in it:)