PDA

View Full Version : Front end damage

krra1
04-18-2006, 09:57 PM
When I took delivery of my boat last weekend the front end had some new chips in the fiberglass and the metal and rubber bumper on the nose was bent down. I spoke to the Mastercraft dealer who stored the boat over the winter and they said they were responsible for the damage and tried to fix it. You will see from the pictures that they did not do a very good job. The dealer said they would pay for further repairs. So here are my questions.

1. Any suggestings on where to get the metal / rubber bumper properly straightened out?

2. The scratches and chips are minor, is this something I can do myself or does this require a pro.

The last picture is of the tower I installed over the weekend. It has nothing to do with the above problems, I am just so proud of myself for installing it and not injurying myself in the process.

Thanks for your in put.

east tx skier
04-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Yikes. I'd say take it back and have it fixed right. That's into the glass.

erkoehler
04-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Did they install the tower?

I would make sure that they make the boat 100% perfect....and if they installed that tower, there better be an extreme discount because of the inconvenience that they are causing you.

TMCNo1
04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
New rubrail and insert is a good start and make them repair all the fiberglass and gelcoat damage.

milkmania
04-18-2006, 10:32 PM
dayum, what happened?

all that damage and I'm assuming they were installing the tower???

that's a lot of damage!:eek:

Danimal
04-18-2006, 10:40 PM
I believe his post says he installed the tower himself?

Leroy
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM
READ THE POST!

The last picture is of the tower I installed over the weekend. It has nothing to do with the above problems, I am just so proud of myself for installing it and not injurying myself in the process.

KRRA1;
I'm very worried since you say they tried to fix it......what gives them the magic now that they didn't have the first time. DO YOU TRUST THIS DEALER AND WHY DID THEY NOT FIX IT THE FIRST TIME?

PS, you are taking this much better than most would!

bigmac
04-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Holy carp! That's gonna be some major fiberglass work and a new rub rail PLUS insert IMHO. That thing needs to go to a fiberglass guy.

JimN
04-18-2006, 11:15 PM
The scratches and chips are NOT minor. If they broke it, they fix it. That aluminum rail will not straighten enough to look right, neither will the rubber. What the #%^% did they do to it? That's pretty major damage- almost looks like they trailered it and the hitch let loose.

mitch
04-18-2006, 11:16 PM
READ THE POST!

KRRA1;
I'm very worried since you say they tried to fix it......what gives them the magic now that they didn't have the first time. DO YOU TRUST THIS DEALER AND WHY DID THEY NOT FIX IT THE FIRST TIME?

PS, you are taking this much better than most would!

that's a lot of caps...

mitch
04-18-2006, 11:19 PM
The scratches and chips are NOT minor. If they broke it, they fix it. That aluminum rail will not straighten enough to look right, neither will the rubber. What the #%^% did they do to it? That's pretty major damage- almost looks like they trailered it and the hitch let loose.

I was thinking that and I'm now thinking maybe rack storage and pushing it in too far

stevo137
04-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Me and Mrs. say that's some major damage!
New rub rail and substancial gelcoat repair, you can't just spot fix that, it needs to be spread out over a large area and color match is not easy.
Play hard ball on this one, someone just could have cared less and there is no excuse for it!
There is no way that you can fix that rub rail, you need a new one...

6ballsisall
04-18-2006, 11:29 PM
Wow!! That is BS, it needs to be fixed. Don't let them off on this. This won't be an easy fix and should only be done by a very good glass shop

Leroy
04-18-2006, 11:32 PM
I would be PO'd big time if that were my boat.

that's a lot of caps...

JimN
04-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Another thing, they didn't tell you about it when it happened. I have a big problem with that. If it was something minor like a little ding that could have been rubbed out, they should have still told you but it would have been a lot easier to fix. Nobody likes to be the bearer of bad news, but this is something their insurance will/should cover unless they have a high deductible.

Farmer Ted
04-18-2006, 11:34 PM
That's going to be a big fix

if it comes in under $2,000 I'd be surprised

a good gel coat repair will extend 12 inches beyond the damage in ever direction

so go draw a 12" circle around every bit of the damage and you'll get an idea of how big the repair is going to be

you also will need some fiberglass work, this will require more gel coat to be removed for a good vaccum repair, go back to the 12" rule

good luck, they'll be able to match it so you'll never know it was damaged but it may take them awhile since the margin on this one is zero....

I'd also be looking for a new place to store the boat...

DrNautica
04-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Agreed, that is NOT minor damage. I'd be very curious to know what actually happened. If it were mine, I might suggest that this "dealer" just bought a used boat for top dollar.

ski_king
04-19-2006, 12:38 AM
That sucks!!!
As others have said, you need a new rub rail and insert along with a good fiberglass/gelcoat repair person.

.......2. The scratches and chips are minor,.........
I think that is either an all time understatement or you need new glasses!

atlfootr
04-19-2006, 08:00 AM
So here are my questions.
1. Any suggestings on where to get the metal / rubber bumper properly straightened out?
2. The scratches and chips are minor, is this something I can do myself or does this require a pro.
Thanks for your in put.I'VE GOT... just the man!
That CAN FIX YOUR BOW and ANY OTHER Damaged areas.

I see that your in Maryland, my question for you is,
how far are you willing to travel?

BrianS
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Wow, unbelievable how careless some people are with others property!

There is no way you can straighten that rub rail. I'd replace the whole thing.

Fiberglass work, particularly gelcoat repair is not easy and that is some serious damage. I'd ask around and find the best guy you can. Get a quote and take it to the dealer and get it in writing that they agree to pay it.

ski_king
04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
If it was my boat, I would be calling this number. (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=40779&postcount=12)

kalanic
04-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Wow! As the others have stated..thats major! I would take it to a professional glass & paint shop, let the storage company flip the bill. It made my eyes hurt to see that damage. I hate when people disrespect other people's property! To disrespect a Mastercraft is a crime! Good Luck!.....................Damn That Sucks!

milkmania
04-19-2006, 11:05 AM
ok, I'll admit....
I got to number 2. then clicked the image, and forgot all about the original post:o

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Wow, that is major damage. I agree with the others that you need to have a professional fiberglass repair person fix that.

I'm p!$$ed off and it isn't even my boat. That is very poor on the part of the dealer. Someone else said it right, nobody likes to deliver bad news. However, good customer service would've meant calling you, telling you there was an accident and asking you to come down to the dealer to discuss what happened, and how to make it right. Bad things happen once in a while, but its how you move forward and take corrective action that defines who you are and the type of business you run. If it were my business, I would've never let that go out of the shop until it was fixed right....

That's f 'd up man!!!!

TMCNo1
04-19-2006, 12:04 PM
With all that front end damage, I believe I would have a front end alignment thrown into the estimate too, just for the giggles of it!

krra1
04-19-2006, 12:45 PM
To answer some of the questions, I installed the tower, not them. Second the dealer is not going to be involved with the repairs, only the payment of the repairs. I am getting 4-5 extimates, there are plenty of fiberglass repair places in Annapolis Maryland.

There is a lot of anger in the responses. Thanks for feeling my pain. I would do the same for you.

M-Funf
04-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Meh...

I don't think it will be too difficult to repair, but it's good to know they're going to pay for it just the same!

How did the tower install go? You still have all your fingers, so it couldn't have been too bad... 8p

Good Luck with the repairs..

:wavey:

krra1
04-19-2006, 02:41 PM
The tower install went well. It took about 4 hours with a lot of time measuring and undoing something done wrong the first time. I think the first two legs took 3 hours and the second two less then one hour.

jimmer2880
04-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I'd say "you had your chance. Now, you pay to have it fixed where I want it fixed".

If you're interested, there's a guy where 495 & 95 meet who does awesome work (he did a decent amt of work on my PS last summer).

krra1
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Jimmer2880
I actually saved your post with the information on Ray with Fiberglass Fabricators from a few weeks ago. They are on my list of companies to call.

jimmer2880
04-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Was your dealer "Bay Watersports"? That's who I bought my MC from. I sure wish we had a better dealer in the area. He s(rewed me out of a spare tire when I bought my used '95 from him. As far as I know, the next closest MC dealer is on deepcreek lake (Patterson's Marine). They're much worse than Bay Watersports!