PDA

View Full Version : First Mastercraft..Ques/Problems 03' X30

garyh
04-18-2006, 05:47 PM
I have an 02' X30 (only 145hrs) that I just bought and recently took out for the first time and noticed things that I didnt before i purchased.., I have some general questions about my first inboard boat. The boat turns extremely easy to the right and hard to the left(but seems to turn sharper to the left and wider to the right). The steering wheel seems to be upside down when its going straight. And if steered straight then releasing the wheel, the boat will continue to slightly turn to the right. The rudder has very little slop or play. Is this normal? Is this a precursor to a serious problem? Any maintenance issues that should be addressed?

I also noticed that the boat holds water about 4" or so in the center drain plug, is this normal for a ski boat? I did not fill the ballast tanks.
Also my starboard side ballast tank is not working, it has power, and I changed all 3 impellors;other 2 work fine. Any ideas?

This being my first inboard what maintenance should I be doing to make sure that the boat is in good condition for this boating season, ie..oil change, grease fittings, filters, transmission fluid, if so where are these areas located.

rodltg2
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
prop rotation....

jrcarte78
04-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I have an 02' X30 (only 145hrs) that I just bought and recently took out for the first time and noticed things that I didnt before i purchased.., I have some general questions about my first inboard boat. The boat turns extremely easy to the right and hard to the left(but seems to turn sharper to the left and wider to the right). The steering wheel seems to be upside down when its going straight. And if steered straight then releasing the wheel, the boat will continue to slightly turn to the right. The rudder has very little slop or play. Is this normal? Is this a precursor to a serious problem? Any maintenance issues that should be addressed?

I also noticed that the boat holds water about 4" or so in the center drain plug, is this normal for a ski boat? I did not fill the ballast tanks.
Also my starboard side ballast tank is not working, it has power, and I changed all 3 impellors;other 2 work fine. Any ideas?

This being my first inboard what maintenance should I be doing to make sure that the boat is in good condition for this boating season, ie..oil change, grease fittings, filters, transmission fluid, if so where are these areas located.

I can't say for sure b/c my MC is much older.... But, 4" seems a bit excessive.....

kalanic
04-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Are you saying you have 4" in depth of water standing in the the center by the drain plug?

vegashomeexpert
04-18-2006, 06:44 PM
As far as the steering goes, check out this link http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6007&highlight=rudder. I had the same problem you are describing with my '03 X30, switched to the new one and no it is like I have power steering! I am a huge believer. As far as the water near the center drain, does the '02 have a bulge pump there? My '03 does but it is slightly up the side of the hull. I have never noticed much water down there so either the bulge pump is working or.... I am still getting used to direct/V-drive. Backing and driving the boat on the trailer are still issues for me but man what a blast the boat is! :headbang:

peason
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
What Rod is saying is that on inboards because of the direction the prop rotates it will "push" the boat to one side naturally. As far as water in the bilge - you may have a leak some where - first place to check is the packing area where your prop shaft enters the boat - I know on the older boats there is supposed to be a small amount of water that enters to aid on lubrication - we are talking drips per minute. Could one of your ballast tanks be leaking? Are all of your water hoses on tight?

Use the search engine on this site to find out more.

Welcome to the board.

Tom023
04-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Depending on my speed and how passengers are positioned in my boat, my steering wheel may not be centered at all times and the boat may pull to one side or the other, but the wheel is never half a turn off like you describe. Mine is also a little more difficult to turn left than right and as mentioned, I think prop rotation causes this.

I always had quite a bit of water in the bilge and found the following leaks: shaft seal on raw water pump, packing gland was leaking considerably, leak under the rub rail at the transom, and slight leak where exhaust hose attached to manifold. Finding all the possible leaks can take some time as you eliminate them, but it's possible to get a dry bilge, as I get essentially no water in the boat now.

WakeSeeky
04-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Welcome Garryh, and congratulations on your new boat!
Take a look at the pictures in the thread Vegas posted and see if your rudder looks like the '06 rudder or not. If it doesn't, that's a change you'll appreciate, although the boat will still turn easier to the right.

The ballast pumps can fry if they've been run dry, I'm told. Did the impellers look like they were in good shape? If not, I think the pump probably has to be replaced, although again I'm just repeating what I was told.

Post pictures when you get a chance, we'd love to see your new toy!

garyh
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
There is little if any water in the engine compartment just near the center drain and in the center ballast compartment.
It seems as though my starboard side ballast tank which does not work is leaking because the carpet is always damp.
The boat holds the water when it is parked; but when I'm driving it the water level in the center plug is only about one inch; But the center ballast tank still has a considerable about of water in the plastic compartment and outside the actual tank.
How can I tell if the packing seals and/or shaft seal is leaking? Im assuming that the only way to tell is to put the boat back into the water?
I noticed the rudder has a grease fitting;are there any other fittings that I should be greasing? IF so where and will any grease work?

Leroy
04-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Congrats on the boat, you picked a nice one!

My hull was dry for several years, but last year I'm getting 1-2 inches in the center after each outing. My pump is up on the side and in the back so it rarely turns on until there is quite a bit of water. I also have around 150 hours.

Post a picture of your rudder.