PDA

View Full Version : Ski Partner

BrianM
04-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Anybody want to come down and ski with me? My ski partner (holding his bounty) killed this snake on Sunday in the water by our dock during our ski sets. Thought it was a moccasin when it was in the weeds but come to find out it was just a harmless corn snake.

M-Funf
04-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Looks like it's got a little somethin' in its belly...

Last meal?

east tx skier
04-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Venomous until proven otherwise.

/Brian, for a minute, I thought that was you. I was going to be disappointed you didn't really look like Red Foreman. ;)

BrianM
04-18-2006, 03:38 PM
Venomous until proven otherwise.

/Brian, for a minute, I thought that was you. I was going to be disappointed you didn't really look like Red Foreman. ;)

Nope not me. The guy in the picture owns a Malibu :huh:

east tx skier
04-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I always knew those guys were snake handlers! ;)

/I kid. I kid.
//That was too easy.

prostar205
04-18-2006, 03:54 PM
I'll pass on the invite. I don't do snake unless its for a pair of boots or a nice belt.

SkiDog
04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
It's no wonder that guy owns a Malibu, you can tell by the SMILE on his face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Datdude
04-18-2006, 04:53 PM
It's no wonder that guy owns a Malibu, you can tell by the SMILE on his face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

LMAO.....so true :uglyhamme

BriEOD
04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Sure man. Can't be any worse than the gators.

east tx skier
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Having similar aquatic life in our favorite watering hole as does BrianM, be it a snake or a gator, it's best just not to think about it and not to worry if there's a little slack in the line before calling "Driver!"

BriEOD
04-18-2006, 07:55 PM
How about "sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads?"

88 PS190
04-18-2006, 08:00 PM
I love the midwest, we don't have dangerous critters unless you kick a raccoon.

erkoehler
04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
I'll second that....^

bobbyB
04-18-2006, 08:49 PM
How about "sharks with freakin' lasers on their heads?"

Only got "ill temperd sea bass" around here!

Ryan
04-18-2006, 09:00 PM
I'd ski there. I'd love to go to FL, but the wife won't have it. She likes skiing and swears she won't do it with dnakes and gators.

Try skiing with a sea-lion near you. All sorts of freaked out thoughts run through your mind. Asking yourself repeatedly, "Did it have a fin, and what shape was it?" Where there are sea lions, there are animals that eat them too.

BriEOD
04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Try skiing with a sea-lion near you. All sorts of freaked out thoughts run through your mind. Asking yourself repeatedly, "Did it have a fin, and what shape was it?" Where there are sea lions, there are animals that eat them too.
Dude,

She will ski in salt water w/sharks but not with gators. Tell her she might want to compare the statistics on shark vs gator attacks. Something tells me it is not even close!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Man, the only animals I have came near on a ski are a deer out swimming in the lake, mallard ducks, and seagulls. I think if I skied where snakes and gators hung out, I would keep a sawed off shotgun stuffed in my PFD :cool: I just dont connect on that danger factor in skiing living so far north. Heck, we dont even have any poisonous snakes here. The only thing I can think of thats poisonous anywhere near here are Hoosier bob's socks, one sniff of them and your done, but they are in Indiana, so I think I am pretty safe. ;)

milkmania
04-18-2006, 10:27 PM

once I was barefooted & in shorts
messing with an armadillo that was walking away from.......poking it with a stick

it turned on me, started hissing and charging me... didn't know the heck I was going to do, but it gave up chasing me:eek:

TMCNo1
04-18-2006, 10:29 PM
The way tha storms have been running around up there, one if HB socks is blown in by a tornado it's liable to take a whole town out!

BrianM
04-18-2006, 10:34 PM

Yeah, but your water freezes solid. :noface: I'll take my chances with the snakes and gators :eek3:for year round skiing. Todays conditions Air 90 water 85. What were your conditions? :purplaugh

flipper
04-18-2006, 10:35 PM
There are beavers where I ski often. Then the river rats, otters, and other little critters. Most of them are only out when it is dark though, and I have enough beer in me on the dock by then, I don't care.

Hoosier Bob
04-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Just shipped a pair out to you Ump! Deer swimming? I would not have believed but we have a small uninhabited island where I ski and last time I decided to challenge the black mud I was surprised to find Deer tracks everywhere! Nothing but trash, mud, Deer tracks and a sign that read for a goooood time be here at 4:30 7/21/06 signed by UMP! Sorry Ump can't make it! I'll send Leroy! :D Man, the only animals I have came near on a ski are a deer out swimming in the lake, mallard ducks, and seagulls. I think if I skied where snakes and gators hung out, I would keep a sawed off shotgun stuffed in my PFD :cool: I just dont connect on that danger factor in skiing living so far north. Heck, we dont even have any poisonous snakes here. The only thing I can think of thats poisonous anywhere near here are Hoosier bob's socks, one sniff of them and your done, but they are in Indiana, so I think I am pretty safe. ;)

Leroy
04-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Weren't you in a shortie in that skiing movie? Maybe back in the winter when your water was......like 80 or so? :D

Yeah, but your water freezes solid. :noface: I'll take my chances with the snakes and gators :eek3:for year round skiing. Todays conditions Air 90 water 85. What were your conditions? :purplaugh

Ryan
04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Dude,

She will ski in salt water w/sharks but not with gators. Tell her she might want to compare the statistics on shark vs gator attacks. Something tells me it is not even close!

I know! But, how many skiers have been attacked by a shark? I think they are scared of my Verdict.

I also know not to bring up the sharks with her. They do cross her mind sometimes. I really doubt they ever come that far into the marina. But, I never thought sea-lions came in either, we're pretty far south for them. Funny how much Jaws III plays in my mind when I get an extra slow pickup after a fall.

Leroy
04-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Brian; I cannot imagine skiing with you after watching the video, little alone all of the animals you have in the water with you. Probably better than a trip to the zoo here!

It's 4:20 UMP!

HB; We did not even see any wild animals last year? I don't know, can anything actually live in Geist?

Just shipped a pair out to you Ump! Deer swimming? I would not have believed but we have a small uninhabited island where I ski and last time I decided to challenge the black mud I was surprised to find Deer tracks everywhere! Nothing but trash, mud, Deer tracks and a sign that read for a goooood time be here at 4:30 7/21/06 signed by UMP! Sorry Ump can't make it! I'll send Leroy! :D

88 PS190
04-19-2006, 12:25 AM
I know i'd keep some rat shot in the boat if i were in cotton mouth territory. pluck those things whenever i saw them.

sizzler
04-19-2006, 03:18 AM
where we ski (cold lake in england),there is nothing to bother us .....but you should have heard my girls when we skiied in Dubai last week..."dad,are there any sharks in the water??????"
"of course not " i said "would i let you go in there if there were" :rolleyes:

BrianM
04-19-2006, 09:04 AM
Weren't you in a shortie in that skiing movie? Maybe back in the winter when your water was......like 80 or so? :D

Yep in a shortie in the video which was shot Sunday. Water was in the upper 70s then and the air was about 80 but it was windy out and I get cold easy.:o

BriEOD
04-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I know! But, how many skiers have been attacked by a shark? I think they are scared of my Verdict.

I also know not to bring up the sharks with her. They do cross her mind sometimes. I really doubt they ever come that far into the marina. But, I never thought sea-lions came in either, we're pretty far south for them. Funny how much Jaws III plays in my mind when I get an extra slow pickup after a fall.
Yeah, how many surfers have been attacked by sharks? How many skiers have been attacked by gators? Bottom line is you have a better chance of getting hit by a car crossing the street.

ecelis
04-19-2006, 01:42 PM
It's been 11 months sice I moved from Texas to Florida.
I have yet to see my first gator (in the wild). We saw our first small snake in the lake Sunday. My friend wacked it with a wakeboard, so we are sure we are not going to see that one again. Killed it out-right, first hit.

erkoehler
04-19-2006, 01:44 PM
It's been 11 months sice I moved from Texas to Florida.
I have yet to see my first gator (in the wild). We saw our first small snake in the lake Sunday. My friend wacked it with a wakeboard, so we are sure we are not going to see that one again. Killed it out-right, first hit.

I'm happy to say that I didn't see any on my trip :) and I was pretty happy about that.

Ryan
04-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah, how many surfers have been attacked by sharks? How many skiers have been attacked by gators? Bottom line is you have a better chance of getting hit by a car crossing the street.

For sure.

I had to do a little homework on this for the next time I talk to my wife about FL. Turns out Floridians are screwed when it comes to fear-invoking marine life.

The number 79 here is worldwide.
"A record high sounds scary, but Burgess reminds that it consisted of 79 reported attacks (34 of which occurred in Florida). Shark attacks averaged 54 per year worldwide throughout the '90s. In 1999, there was a total of 58. Considering the hundreds of millions of people on coastlines and in the water, that's not a lot of attacks. It also is ironic that attacks are increasing at the same time shark populations are dwindling from overfishing and hunting by humans." USA Today 7/24/01

"During the first half of the Twentieth Century only one authenticated unprovoked shark attack was reported from the Pacific Coast, with the remaining 107 cases occurring during the last half of this 100-year period. The total number of reported shark attacks speaks volumes about the rarity of these events, when compared to the almost astronomical number of potential victims that entered the waters of the Pacific Coast during the Twentieth Century....34% were directed at surfers, while 55% were against divers." Shark Research Committee