PDA

View Full Version : Stering geting tight worse everyday newer 197

Endo
04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I have a 2004 MC 197 with a teleflex cable. I have lubed the rudder end of the cable under the gas tank. The question, is there anything I should being doing to keep the stering smooth and not so tight? Any suggestions, can I take apart the cable at the dash and lube this to make it better? It almost takes two hands to steer this boat which used to take a couple of fingers in the stering wheel. I am open to any suggestions this is the second time to go through this the MC guys fixed it once but I do not know how. :confused:

LakePirate
04-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Welcome, my best suggestion is to loan it to me and let me see how tight the steering is and I will get it back to you in October :D.

On a serious note, I don't know about that. You resolved the standard issue problems as it didn't do this before (eliminating that it is supposed to due that because the rudder has been shaved) and the MC guys fixed it before.

I am sure someone will have some thoughts on this. However, I am sticking with the loan it to me to make sure theory.

JDK
04-18-2006, 07:41 PM
It sounds to me like you need to replace the cable. When they bind this tightly, no amount of lube is going to free it up, in my experience.

bigmac
04-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I have a 2004 MC 197 with a teleflex cable. I have lubed the rudder end of the cable under the gas tank. The question, is there anything I should being doing to keep the stering smooth and not so tight? Any suggestions, can I take apart the cable at the dash and lube this to make it better? It almost takes two hands to steer this boat which used to take a couple of fingers in the stering wheel. I am open to any suggestions this is the second time to go through this the MC guys fixed it once but I do not know how. :confused:

Does it bind while sitting on the trailer, or only when underway? And if the latter, at what speed(s) does it bind?

Endo
04-19-2006, 09:13 AM
It binds or is tight all the time, on the trailer too. It seems to get worse with time. Is replacing the cable going to be hard since it goes under the floor and through the front pannel where the sub woofer is mounted? Is there any chance I can take it apart and lube the part that is under the driver? I have lubed the other (ruder side) and you are correct it make little to no diff. This is the second time this happed, is it just bad luck or should I be doing something to stop the problem in the future?

#47of100TeamMC
04-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Do you pull your plug each time you are finished using the boat? The cable runs under the motor and is not meant to sit in 4" of water it will rust. (if there is any in there from a day on the water) The cable is a closed cable and is not lubeable. You'll need a new one.

Hunterb
04-19-2006, 03:04 PM
You can't fix the cable if that's the problem. It seems strange that it has gone bad so fast however. I would make sure that it is not pinched somewhere. It will go around corners, but will not like tight bends of any kind. You should get many years out of a steering cable before it gets really stiff. I had one get stiffer and stiffer on an outboard I used to own. I actually took it apart (cut the end off) to try to lube it but it was hopeless. It was at least 15 years old though which is why it seems strange that yours has gone bad so quickly.

Not sure if that helps. Just a thought.

Bruce

JLeuck64
04-19-2006, 03:52 PM
I've replaced a couple of cables on other brands before. What seemed to work the best was to disconnect both ends of the cable and then duct tape the new cable to one end of the old. You can use the old cable to pull the new one in place. It depends on how the boat is constructed as to which direction to pull in the new cable. Spend some time looking at it first.

If you disconnect the old cable from the rudder and the steering rack you could pin down the source of the bind exactly. One of the three will be harder to move than the other two.

Hope this helps some,

Endo
04-19-2006, 04:21 PM
I have been told that I should lube the cable two times a year to be sure that the cable stays like new. You are correct that the cable lays in the bilge, so it gets wet. Grease will help it last based on the fact that grease and water do not mix well and no corrosion can occure with the cable well greased. I am going to buy a new cable and maintain it well. The fact that it is this tight now seems to indicate that it is already shot, as one of you suggest. I think from what I have found this has been a user error not an MC issue. Replacement is not a big deal.

GTPROSTAR197
05-02-2006, 05:39 AM
I have a 2003 Prostar 197 that has the same problem. There is a grease fitting under the floor panel that covers the exhaust. You cannot get to it from the gas tank area. I greased mine there and it got a little better.Maybe this will help yours.

fly4food
05-12-2006, 03:47 PM
My 2000 Prostar 195 has the same problem. I lubed all 3 fittings in the rear with no improvement. My Mastercraft dealer inidcated that I'd need a new cable, said it would run something like $160.

fly4food
05-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Had the same problem on my 2000 Prostar 195. Tried lubing the linkage at the rudder with no improvement. I bought the cable from my local mastercraft dealer and installed in about 3 hours. For my boat, its a 19' cable. The cable is a teleflex SSC 13419, back mount single rack cable 19. Cost was $109, however other dealers were charging as high as $192. Toughest part of the job was disconnecting the cable from the rudder link, because it sits directly under the gas tank and makes access difficult. Move the rudder back and forth to find the easiest angle to work on the cable to rudder link connection. After everything was disconnected, I tied a cord to the old cable (at the rudder end) and then pulled the cable and my cord out through the front of the boat (steering wheel end). Then I tied the cord to the new cable and started by threading the rudder end of the cable at the steering wheel and then pulling on the cord from the aft end of the boat. Worked well, except the cable did get caught between the oil pan and the bolts sticking through the hull for the strakes. My cable was not tacked to the hull in any location (ie only connected at the steering wheel and the rudder. Make sure you grease the rudder link fittings when complete.