PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Ride

Smitty
09-30-2004, 10:20 AM
I would like to send a special thanks to Kim at the Sammy Duvall Watersports Centre at Disney. Last week, while on vacation, I took some leasons on wakeboarding. After 3 falls I was up and having a blast. Having been a long time skier, I am now a wakeboard fanatic. It was so much fun to try something new and now that I have I'm thinking of adding a tower to my Maristar 230. It wasn't easy for a big guy like me on an undersized board. By the next day I was doing my first jumps and 180's.

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/509/33disney2004_134-med.JPG

That's me getting up for the first time. Disney's Contemporary Resort is in the background. Thanks again to Kim at SD's.

mgurley
09-30-2004, 10:32 AM
I was recently in Orlando on business and Passed by a skiing place where they had a lot of lines and pulley systems that pulled the skiers around, along whith a few towboats. It is located right off of one of the higways going to Disney. Is this the place if not does anyone know where I am referring to?

tex
09-30-2004, 10:35 AM
that is the orlando water sports complex.

mgurley
09-30-2004, 10:40 AM
I just ziped by there but it really looked like a cool place. Have you been there?

tex
09-30-2004, 11:41 AM
no, but i have alot of friends who have. they say it is great! you will stand in line to ride the cable with all kinds of pro riders and their familys. i have cable skied in germany before. very trippy!

Leroy
09-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Should be the best wake around but I've only seen wakeboarders and trickers, do people slalom on these? I've seen the one in Orlando also, looks like a real Rube Goldburg contraption!

mgurley
09-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Like I said I just passed it by while on the highway, but it looked to me like they were all on boards at least then. Probably should have had my eyes on the road huh! :steering:

River Rat
09-30-2004, 12:40 PM
We have one here in Texas also. They are having compititions this week end and I think I go check it out. Looks like a blast!! :smile:

http://www.texasskiranch.com/

bcampbe7
09-30-2004, 12:41 PM
Maybe going to Disney with the in-laws wouldn't be so bad. I could spend a week learning some tricks! :woohoo:

MarkP
09-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Smitty,

I didnít realize they did that.

The wife has been trying to talk me into a Disney trip. Hmmmm..

bcampbe7
09-30-2004, 12:46 PM
Same here Mark. The in-laws are paying for the trip, but I do not want to step foot in the place. I could let them do their thing and I could hit the cable park. :banana:

mgurley
09-30-2004, 01:27 PM
Had I known it was there I would have taken my gear. I did have some free time on my trip. I think I was headed east on 408 after leavin OIA and it was on the left but I have no idea exactly how to get there.

mgurley
09-30-2004, 01:44 PM
It was west on 528 from the airport. My memory is not the best.

Anyway heres the website: http://www.orlandowatersports.com/

Smitty
09-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Mark P,

It was well worth the money and time for me. The SD watersports centre is located right at the Contemporary. My family and I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge which is just across the lake. So you can catch a boat taxi over to the Contemporary every 10 minutes. They have 2 boats: SD 197 and a SD 209. Both with towers. They supply the gear and driver. All the instructors have "Pro" experience and are very nice. You can ski/board for 1 hour or 30 minutes. A 1 hour session costs $140 and 30 min. costs $70. Since my family belongs to the Disney Vacation Club I get a 15% discount. I know this is a little pricey, but I was desperate to learn. I had previously tried wakeboarding, but after breaking 3 ropes I gave up. They also offer parasailing, tubing, PWC and some other stuff. There is also a one week camp that they offer for skiing and wakeboarding. Most of the information can be found at Sammy Duvall (www.SammyDuvall.com) . Again it was a great time and I would recommend it to anyone.