PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Safety

ski_king
04-18-2006, 07:22 AM
Just a reminder guys to always double check that your trailer is connected to the ball properly and you have your safety chains hooked up before taking off to the lake.
It only takes a few secnds to make sure the trailer is all the way down on the ball and not sitting on top of it.

Last Thursday a wood chipper (5000 lb.) came loose from the truck that was towing it and it crossed trafic and impacted a mini van killing the two young children and their father. A third child (triplet) was also badly injured. They are still investigating the accident, but at the very least it appears the safety chains were not hooked up or they failed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06105/682463-85.stm

Lets be careful out there.

Leroy
04-18-2006, 07:29 AM
That is tragic.

LakePirate
04-18-2006, 09:30 AM
That is a horrible accident.

Remember to cross your safety chains, so if the trailer does come unhitched from the tow vehicle it will fall into the crossed chains, not the road.

ski_king
04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
....Remember to cross your safety chains, so if the trailer does come unhitched from the tow vehicle it will fall into the crossed chains, not the road.

Brings the question, how many of our boat trailers have the chains attached in a way that you can cross them.
Don't know about yours, but mine was made with the chanis attached at a common point. That has always bothered me...

SD190EVO
04-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Prayers to the family. I'll sure triple check my connections. I actually had a cargo trailer come off the ball last year for my failing to engage the coupler. Luckily the chains and the break-away did their job.

Just reminds you how precious life is.

jimmer2880
04-18-2006, 12:23 PM
It's amazing how many trailers I see without the chains attached. Sure wish I was a cop - I'd be writing up every one of those.

I was lucky enough to be riding in the back of a pickup when a untility trailer came un-hooked (the coupler was locked, we still don't know how that happened). It was an interesting couple of seconds until my dad got the truck stopped.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I had my old boat slip off the ball once, I forgot to clamp it down. STUPID on my part. Safety chains did their job, we lucked out. I always double check mine. I usually even 3rd check it once I pull out of the garage on the street, just to make sure. I am a nerd, what do you expect.

Rockman
04-18-2006, 01:51 PM
That totally SUCKS!

My condolenscences go out to the family.

I have seen WAY TOO MANY dump trucks and landscaping trucks on the highways here in Chicago that should have been in the junk yard years ago. Hardly any of them look safe and most are usually overloaded and/or loosing debris.

It sucks that there is really nothing other than common sense to prevent these types of accidents from happening...assuming the chains were not used properly as opposed to them breaking or something of that nature.

TMCNo1
04-18-2006, 04:02 PM
I had my old boat slip off the ball once, I forgot to clamp it down. STUPID on my part. Safety chains did their job, we lucked out. I always double check mine. I usually even 3rd check it once I pull out of the garage on the street, just to make sure. I am a nerd, what do you expect.

Ump, I need to get your families address so I can send them a sympathy card for your being a nerd, just joking, are those checks hard to get off the gelcoat or will a good scrubbing with 303 get rid of them!!

JohnnyB
04-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Also, for the older style tougues where you can manually adjust the coupler lock on the trailer ball, make sure it is adjusted properly......I had a snowmobile trailer get away from me because the coupler wasn't holding the hitch ball tight enough.....crossed chains cradled the tongue and i as able to stop it without loosing control of the trailer or damaging the truck or trailer.....very exiting :eek: