PDA

View Full Version : Dry Suit Maintenance Thread

SKI*MC
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
Ok, i fanally got my dry suit in the mail. And i wanted to make this thread to away me and others how to properly take care of a dry suit. Post away friends! :dance:

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Anyways, store in a cool dark place. Keep finger nails away from the seals, and use the seal protectant.

SKI*MC
04-17-2006, 10:31 PM
well then its a bump thread, and i didnt feel like looking for it and reading back on all of it! :)

baedriver
04-18-2006, 12:27 AM
303 works great

SKI*MC
04-18-2006, 12:37 AM
on the seals?

erkoehler
04-18-2006, 12:38 AM
After you get in the drysuit, fill it with 303.....yes put it on the seals!

Shouldn't you be in bed SKI???

SKI*MC
04-18-2006, 12:42 AM
oh haha smart arse :D

sand2snow22
04-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Store in a bag or a plastic container to minimize air breaking down the seals.......

bigmac
04-18-2006, 07:46 AM
Ok, i fanally got my dry suit in the mail. And i wanted to make this thread to away me and others how to properly take care of a dry suit. Post away friends! :dance:Zipper and seals are the main downfalls - lube the zipper with bees wax or some kind of zipper lube, keep the seals from breaking down with some kind of UV protectant. 303 works well, but there are a million other care products on the market for this stuff (http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/103-2210840-7447054?_encoding=UTF8&node=3414041). My suit has rather stiff seals, so I will often put some Seal Saver (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYAOZ/qid=1145360454/sr=1-67/ref=sr_1_67/103-2210840-7447054?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&v=glance&n=3375251) on the wrist and ankle seals before putting the thing on so I don't have to pull so hard getting those extremities through the seals.

Depending on your cold-weather activities, consider a pair of Dry Socks (http://). Get 'em big enough for some wool socks underneath.

Get a good hanger that doesn't put too much pressure on the shoulder seams. Don't store the thing in the garage where your cars are. Don't store it with the zipper closed (compresses the seal).

The best source of dry suit maintenance items is a dive shop, although Overton's does have a fair amount as does Barefoot Central (http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=98) . McNett (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/drysuits/dscare.shtml) makes a bunch of dry and wet suit care products - they appear to be one of the big names in the dry suit maintenance world.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-18-2006, 08:40 AM
MC, you goofed! :mad: This was supposed to be titled "The Official Dry suit maintanence thread" :noface:

;)

tex
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
The main 2 things are...Learn how to put it on and take it off right...and never let anybody else wear it!

skeeler
04-18-2006, 09:59 AM
For perfect results; store on a hanger, in cool, dark closet, behind locked door, do not expose to the sun, avoid water, do not make direct eye contact with the suit, and keep in temperature controled area. :D That's waht I should of done. I just ripped out an ankle seal this week, but the suit is three years old.

JohnnyB
04-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Like others have said, wax the zipper (I bought wax that looks like a gigantic chapstick from Barefoot international - Napolean D would be envious) and treat the seals with a protectant.

I actually use the protectant BI sells as well. It also works good as a lube for putting on the suit.....spray some on the wrist and ankle seals before putting it on....

tex
04-18-2006, 10:58 AM
I've had the same one since 1992. I have worn it at times everyday for a month or so. I have watched jet skiers and chicks burn seals by rushing to put them on or take them off. I think that I have put wax on my zipper once and sprayed the seals once. If you are dry...sprinkle some baby powder on your feet and hands before putting the suit on. Take your time and don't let WALLYS wear your suit.

BrianM
04-18-2006, 12:12 PM
this has been covered already :mad:

Slight thread jack here but I have to say something.

:rant: Warning! :rant:

This attitude SUCKS!

One of the reasons I like this board is that when new people or people that have been on the site for a while ask a question people answer, do searchs and post links to similar threads and are really helpful.

I have stopped going to some boards out there because everytime a newbie asks a question some a**hole with 5,000 post says "this has been discussed, do a search." If I had a nickel for every thread started by Erkle that has been discussed at some time in the past I would have a nice chunk of change for boat gas.

Get over yourself! If you don't have input on the subject and just want to tell someone that it has been discussed and to do a search, DON'T POST. Lose the attitude!

Rant is over. :rant: Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

erkoehler
04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey Brian, SKI*MC and I are friends off the board, and I actually helped him get the drysuit.

We were talking on AIM when he posted that, so I was just joking around with him.

Its all in good fun :)

SKI*MC
04-18-2006, 12:58 PM
yeah its true, all in good fun. But anyways, back to Tex, why can't i let me dad or someone wear it?

erkoehler
04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
Anybody else that wears it presents the opportunity to stretch or rip the seals.

If they are the same wrist, neck, and ankle size, you could share but I wouldn't. There is alot of risk that a seal will get stretched, then it won't create a water tight seal, and it is expensive to have them fixed.

tex
04-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks Erk.

RobertT
04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
303 on the seals is great, as noted. Seal Saver is better, by far, but harder to find.

Seal Saver is basically just food grade silicone. I found a 16oz spray can of it at Bass Pro Shops (you can get it anywhere) for five bucks. It will last you years. The aerosol spray puts a nice even coat on the inside and outside of the seals in a jiffy, and obviously helps in getting in and out. I use it pretty much all the time on my stuff.

On my zipper, I use the silicon spray as well. Dont forget NOT to keep it zipped up in storage. Unzip it, then close the zipper just an inch or two.

I still use 303 about every fifth use, for the UV protective abilities. My drysuit is made for whitewater kayaking, so there are neoprene covers for all of the latex gaskets to keep the UV from damaging them. Still, sun is one of the worst enemies.

SKI*MC
04-18-2006, 05:03 PM
about the zipper, Mike Seiple, (owner of B.I.) told me that any wax works, even a crayon. So i think i would be safe with a candle on the zipper. Keep the tips coming, its helping me out. Thanks all.

jraben8
04-18-2006, 05:04 PM
I didn't think of looking at Kayaking suits. I ended up buying a Polaris jetski drysuit 2 years ago. I liked it a little more than the BI suits since it actually has a thin liner of fleece built into it.

RobertT
04-19-2006, 11:14 AM
There are two things that make kayak suits less than ideal.

1. They have a tunnel that is used to make a seal over a cockpit skirt.

2. They are VERY breathable. This is great at slow speeds, its like wearing a fleece suit. When I take my drysuit off after a long day of paddling, I am completely dry. With a non-breathable suit you will sweat like crazy.

Since I already have a drysuit, I didn't see any reason to buy another for the one or two times a year that I would use it on the lake.

CoFooter
04-19-2006, 12:27 PM
I picked up some armor all UV rubber protectant/moisturizer spray. Its got silicon in it and I'm thinking its about the same stuff as the others. Any negative comments on using this stuff?

BuoyChaser
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I picked up some armor all UV rubber protectant/moisturizer spray. Its got silicon in it and I'm thinking its about the same stuff as the others. Any negative comments on using this stuff?
i wouldn't use Armor All on anything!!!drys out rubber/plastic and turns things yellow over time...stick to the 303 or similiar!!!

you can order spray direct from Lake Elmo Sports http://www.lakeelmosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=61

anyone interested in two 2yr old drysuits???one is size SMALL for my wife and the other is XL...she's only used her once, didn't enjoy being so cold on her feet/hands/head...i've used mine a handful of times but found I'd rather just brave the cold with a semi-drysuit from Jet Pilot filled with hot water...

i'll be posting soon on Marketplace and http://www.ski-it-again.com