PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat work

bradamerry
04-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Since we are keeping the ol' 87'. I thought I might as well make it look it's best. For 20 bucks this stuff works pretty well. :wavey:

bradamerry
04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Real easy to use. I just put it on with a wash rag and used a dry one to remove it.

bradamerry
04-17-2006, 06:53 PM

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Looks good.....now that its all shined up, the offers will come :)

bradamerry
04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Looks good.....now that its all shined up, the offers will come :)
I will keep it though the summer atleast. :D

JimN
04-17-2006, 07:11 PM
What are you using for wax? Check out Race Glaze- it'a a polyurethane coating that seals really well. I'm in the process of making a friend's boat all shiny and used 67, too. After getting the colored gelcoat to shine, I did a couple of coats of Race Glaze and it's really nice. Smooth as a baby's butt.

bradamerry
04-17-2006, 07:14 PM
What are you using for wax? Check out Race Glaze- it'a a polyurethane coating that seals really well. I'm in the process of making a friend's boat all shiny and used 67, too. After getting the colored gelcoat to shine, I did a couple of coats of Race Glaze and it's really nice. Smooth as a baby's butt.
Thanks, Mr. JimN.. I got some polish made by the same folks to add after I compound the colored parts and some hull cleaner for the hull.. But I may just get your wax to finish her up...

JimN
04-17-2006, 08:17 PM
If you want to use Meguire's wax, go right ahead- it's great stuff. They have a carnauba paste wax that kicks butt. If you use that one, make sure you buff it before it hardens.

bradamerry
04-17-2006, 09:44 PM
If you want to use Meguire's wax, go right ahead- it's great stuff. They have a carnauba paste wax that kicks butt. If you use that one, make sure you buff it before it hardens.
Thanks, The Farmer just left and he has some wax we will put on soon. We just changed the tranny fluid, he is my hero............

east tx skier
04-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Brad, looks great. I just got mine back from the dealer who was wet sanding a little nick the boat buddy left behind. They were kind enough to buff her up really good, too. Got rid of a previous owner scratch that has always bothered me. I love seeing my boat so shiny!

SkiDog
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey Brad that stuff is working great! I had an 87 for my first boat, then bought an 88 Platinum Prostar. When I was showing it at the reunions, I went crazy and started chroming all kinds of parts on it. The bow vent
sure looks good all chromed up! Also, that red pinstrip on the bottom the the gelcoat strip is called Tomatoe Red. I even have about a half a roll left if you want it. I'm not sure if its any good now as its about 10 years old, but you are certainly welcomed to it! I'd be glad to send it to ya! EDDIE :toast:

bradamerry
04-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Hey Brad that stuff is working great! I had an 87 for my first boat, then bought an 88 Platinum Prostar. When I was showing it at the reunions, I went crazy and started chroming all kinds of parts on it. The bow vent
sure looks good all chromed up! Also, that red pinstrip on the bottom the the gelcoat strip is called Tomatoe Red. I even have about a half a roll left if you want it. I'm not sure if its any good now as its about 10 years old, but you are certainly welcomed to it! I'd be glad to send it to ya! EDDIE :toast:
Thanks man... But I may just pull the red stripe off????? :confused:

SkiDog
04-19-2006, 07:17 AM
I never really understood why they put that Damn tape stripe on there in the first place. My 03 x 30 doesn't have it. But the offer still stands! After all, its the LEAST I could do for someone who keeps my inbox full with the GOOD stuff! :D

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Brad, that looks great! Thanks for posting the pics. Your fade looks very similar to mine. I may have to give #67 a try . . .

Kell
05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I'm getting ready to install a tower when it arrives in a few weeks, but in the mean time, I removed the pylon extension on my v-drive which has two stays that attach to each corner of the boat to support the pylon extension. I removed the hardware at each support and I now need to "fill in" the bolt hole at each corner. The holes are 1/2" in dia. through the gel coat and underlying fiberglass. I have the Spectrum paste repair stuff and have used it to repair small scratches in the gel. Question I have is I need to build up and fill the hole with something prior to using the Spectrum paste repair stuff. I'm guessing that fiberglass mat/cloth/resin or can I get away with something like Marine Tex that West Marine sells? Thanks.

6ballsisall
05-02-2006, 01:18 PM
i just put that same stuff on my boat this weekend. I liked it but I like what I ran out of better. It is Starbrite brand marine wax with a teflon coating. I need to find me some more of that stuff!