PDA

View Full Version : My beautification project.

wakescene
04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
Well after some hefty research and reading I finally came to the conclusion that I needed to wetsand my hull to get a few years of saltwater/sun oxidation off. (yes it has gotten that bad after only 4 years).

I purchased a Makita 9227 polisher and also a pad kit. I choose this one http://www.autogeek.net/bfpk400.html from Autogeek.

I ran thru the following process: wetsand w/1500grit > wetsand w/2000grit > Orange pad w/3M HD rubbing compound > Yellow pad w/3M Cleaner Wax > White pad w/Meguires polishing wax.

After about 5-6 hours I have completed about 12ft of the hull, and discovered some very interesting things during the process.

I found that 2 applications of the rubbing compound helpd to get some really stubborn areas fresh again w/o having to wetsand a 2nd time.
I found that slow -N-steady is the way to go. The speed at which you run the polisher is crucial to each step and speed-to-pad is probably a science I will never learn 100% but I found specific speeds that seems to work better than others.
I found there is no concealed area to practice on, so less is sometimes more.
Do small sections 4-5ft. Then complete all steps in this area before moving on. If you have to leave the job, at least you will have completed everything up to that point.

I know some of this is common sense but I have never done this process before. Compounding/Waxing sure, but the process I explained earlier, no. I hope to eventually provide a play-by-play of the entire project. I'll start snapping some picks to show before/after results as well as what speeds worked for me as well as pads and so on.

KG

Sodar
04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Has the cleaner wax been enough to take the swirls out from the Heavy Duty Compound? When I did my old outboard a few years ago, I chose to follow the compound with 3M Finesse-It, followed by the cleaner wax. It would have been much easier though if I could have eliminated that step!!

wakescene
04-18-2006, 01:14 AM
Sodar,
No I haven't had an issue with the swirl marks. I think their are several things that help ward off the swirl marks.

The buffer. I picked up a Makita 9227L. This thing rocks! I have never had a professional unit like this, but of course price in some situations does dictate quality. Controllable speed with a little dial rigth at your thumb was a new thing. It's amazing how well it holds speed regardless of the amount of pressure you place on it. There were a few times I put my whole 180lbs into it and it never slowed. It also has a slow startup feature to that if you are making contact with something it does not kick into full speed right away.

The pads. This was the first time I have ever used pads like this. I think the pads are AWESOME. They are smooth and soft, and have a large surface area that helps spread things out. No small concentrated areas.

Wetsanding. It flattens out the surface so the pad doesn't see and high/low spots.

Speed. I am fairly certain that speed is the largest factor. I used a slow speed with the compound (750-800rpm), medium speed with the cleaner wax(maybe 1300-1400rpm) and a med-hi speed with the final polish(2000rpm). The polisher only goes to 300rpm so I didn't want to push it.

Movement. Of course the most important thing with a job like this is to never let the polisher stand still.
Each of the speeds though were funny. Slow with the compound is a fight. You fight the polisher every step. As the speed increases the fight gets less, but the risk increases. I did learn a little. I tried to polish around the lettering and burned some of the lettering. I can fix it but it just goes to show.

I am happy so far with the results, I also only have 1/4 of the job done.

Leroy
04-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Wakescene; You are on to something about the sanding! If you are willing I think you have the making of a great FAQ.

wakescene
04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Leroy,
Your correct. I am thinking about doing something like that. Actually it's evolving on it's own and could be a great resource. I did a lot of research before starting this. The only problem was that there was good info on wetsanding, polishing, oxidation etc, but none that I found at least really narrowed down all of it in one hefty document and how to go about things for our particular situation. I will be interesting to see how everything turns out.

Kevin 89MC
04-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Wakescene, great documentation. Can't wait to see pics. My '89 patiently awaits some TLC from this neglectful owner.
Good luck and keep sharing your progress.

wakescene
05-01-2006, 12:34 AM
So I finished the boat this weekend, but my arms are a little tired so I am gonna rest and post some pics tomorrow. She does look very good though and I took a lot of pics to help create some good documentation.

KG

Bert
05-06-2006, 11:38 AM
So I finished the boat this weekend, but my arms are a little tired so I am gonna rest and post some pics tomorrow. She does look very good though and I took a lot of pics to help create some good documentation.

KG
Waiting for those pictures

wakescene
05-10-2006, 02:45 PM
finally found some time so I'll be working on the write-up this week. Sorry for the delay folks.

wakescene
05-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Well I finished writing everything up, and adding the pictures. Please let me know what you think and if I should improve on anything.

Sorry again for the delay.
Kevin

wakescene
05-18-2006, 09:44 PM
arrrgh, file to large, let me resize! back in a minute!

MarkP
05-18-2006, 09:57 PM

One, ( I ), Would see the thread title and think I’m going to see a Picture!!!

Again,

***!!

MarkP
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
arrrgh, file to large, let me resize! back in a minute!
LMAO, and just kiddin… If you need a hand with that photo, let me know..

Mi.mc
05-18-2006, 11:07 PM
where are all of these alleged pics?

wakescene
05-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Here are a few photos to hold everyone over. There seems to be a problem uploading to the database...I'll try again in a little while!

wakescene
05-19-2006, 01:09 AM
I'll be posting everything on Wakescene.com tomorrow.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Nice work.

Not sure what the posting problem could be.....

wakescene
05-21-2006, 01:46 AM
still can't upload the article, getting the same error.
"There seems to have been a slight problem with the TeamTalk database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

wakescene
05-22-2006, 01:07 AM
heres the writup because I still can't upload.

http://www.wakescene.com/projects/boatpolish.htm

Mi.mc
06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
it looks great!

Cloaked
06-04-2006, 03:20 PM
heres the writup because I still can't upload.

http://www.wakescene.com/projects/boatpolish.htmThe 1.29mb pdf file exceeds the limit allowed for attaching.

They could raise the file sze allowable if so chosen to do so.