PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Lyme Disease

Datdude
04-17-2006, 04:10 PM
My wife took our 18 month old dog to the vet for some shots, etc. and found out she has Lyme Disease. I was wondering if anybody has been through this and what I can expect? We have 5 acres of woods and an Invisible Fence so she is constantly running around outside. We also used Frontline to protect her from ticks, along with checking her every night. She is part lab/husky and has very thick neck fur where the ticks seem to congregate. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Damn the bad luck :mad:

88 PS190
04-17-2006, 04:13 PM
the vet didn't have a recommendation?

Datdude
04-17-2006, 04:40 PM
the vet didn't have a recommendation?

My wife left a message for me at work telling me the good news, so I have no idea what they discussed today. I am sure there are options, I was just wondering if anyone else has been through this before.

Leroy
04-17-2006, 04:49 PM
I think with antibiotics it can be cured if caught early. Hope so!

quincyfirefighter
04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
She is one beautiful dog. :D Hope everything works out OK. I have learn with my dog to get a second opinion all ways ;) What's her name by the way

Dean Witmer
04-17-2006, 06:59 PM
My daughter had two dogs with Lyme. They were fine after antibiotics. There is also a vacination they can get so they don't get it again. Her husband is a horse trainer and they vacinate their horses.

Datdude
04-17-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like she will be on meds for a month then they wait a year to test her again. We will find out in two weeks how bad it is, then go from there. Apparently it is not as big of a deal as I was picturing? Thanks again.

JEREMY79
04-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Not really a huge deal. Can be treated with antibiotics.

Frontline is Junk man, try Revalation.

vogelm1
04-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Shouldn't be too big a deal Datdude...sounds like it was caught early enough and antibiotics will do the job. Not sure who your vet is...we go between Northwoods Animal Hospital (for basic stuff) and then Joe Bodewes - All Creatures Animal Care down in Hazelhurst for major things. He is really good and I'd bet he'd offer you an opinion if you asked. Maybe you're using either of these already. We've had dogs that have had it before and all came through with no long term issues. Yeah, that Frontline can be hit or miss. We dose our golden retriever down a couple times a season and she still brings in ticks. Tough little buggers. Good luck - all will work out.

Datdude
04-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Shouldn't be too big a deal Datdude...sounds like it was caught early enough and antibiotics will do the job. Not sure who your vet is...we go between Northwoods Animal Hospital (for basic stuff) and then Joe Bodewes - All Creatures Animal Care down in Hazelhurst for major things. He is really good and I'd bet he'd offer you an opinion if you asked. Maybe you're using either of these already. We've had dogs that have had it before and all came through with no long term issues. Yeah, that Frontline can be hit or miss. We dose our golden retriever down a couple times a season and she still brings in ticks. Tough little buggers. Good luck - all will work out.

We have used Northwoods Animal Hospital since we got her over a year ago and they seem to be fine. I have never heard of the other place in Hazelhurst :confused: . We will find out in two weeks when the test comes back how severe it is and how to proceed. What do you use the place in Hazelhurst for(major stuff?). Where are they located?

mitch
04-18-2006, 11:08 AM
We have 2 dogs, and I treat the backyard and woods,s w/ a flea and tick killer from Wal-mart (eliminator?). It's granular and I use a rotary spreader for most of it, and also apply some by hand in some of the wooded area. Good luck!

jsonova99
04-18-2006, 11:23 AM
My parent's Brittany had Lyme disease, it cleared up with antibiotics, but resurfaced a year or so later. May have been from another bite or a relapse, but I would definitley keep an eye on it. She's never really been the same since, especially when my Dad takes her hunting, she just can't keep her stamina up.

By the way, I have been using Advantix on my Border Collie, and it seems to be crap as far as killing ticks. It's one of their big selling points, but I keep picking ticks off of her and finding them in the house alive. Not much better on fleas either if you want my opinion. :rant:

bcampbe7
04-18-2006, 11:43 AM
My parent's Brittany had Lyme disease, it cleared up with antibiotics, but resurfaced a year or so later. May have been from another bite or a relapse, but I would definitley keep an eye on it. She's never really been the same since, especially when my Dad takes her hunting, she just can't keep her stamina up.

By the way, I have been using Advantix on my Border Collie, and it seems to be crap as far as killing ticks. It's one of their big selling points, but I keep picking ticks off of her and finding them in the house alive. Not much better on fleas either if you want my opinion. :rant:

This makes me wonder if the ticks are building an immunity to Frontline and/or Advantix like bacteria do to antibiotics. I realize ticks don't mutate like bacteria do, but I would think they could build-up tolerances.

vogelm1
04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
We have used Northwoods Animal Hospital since we got her over a year ago and they seem to be fine. I have never heard of the other place in Hazelhurst :confused: . We will find out in two weeks when the test comes back how severe it is and how to proceed. What do you use the place in Hazelhurst for(major stuff?). Where are they located?

For groomings and general health things, we do Northwoods. Our dogs have had a number of things wrong over the years...stopped eating, eye injuries, etc. that would be the 'major stuff' I mentioned. We learned of Joe Bodewes (pronounced "Bo-Davis") from a friend and had him take care of that stuff. He had a mobile vet service and recently opened a new office in Hazelhurst next to R&R snowmobile rental. Not sure of the address, but I think he's still listed in the phone book as "Veterinary House Calls". The sign out front of his new office says "All Creatures Veterinary Care" or something like that. I highly recommend him. FWIW. Water is warming up....one of these days it'll be time to put in the wetsuit and go!

JohnnyB
04-18-2006, 04:39 PM
Regarding lyme disease, there is a vaccine for dogs -- ask your vet about it. I'm surprised it wasn't recommended based on where you are living. All my dogs have gotten the vaccine annually as they spend lots of time in the northwoods with us.

I have visited Northwoods for emergencies a few times....they were very good. Last summer my lab swam into a line and fish-hook....went right through a rear leg tendon. We were able to have him sit still while they made an incision and took out the hook. :eek: If it were me, i'd have been crying like a baby.

JohnnyB
04-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Took my 12 week old lab to the vet last night for his next set of shots. Lyme disease is a two shot vaccine the first time and then 1x per year there after. Per my receipt, it was $22 for the shot.

I also had him microchipped for $35......1st dog I've done this with but it seems that it is worth it. I was impressed, the microchip insertion needle is huge (about 1/4 in diameter, it seemed like). Doc stuck it in the skin between his shoulder blader to insert the chip and I don't think the pup even noticed.....I would've cried like a baby :D

atlfootr
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Took my 12 week old lab to the vet last night for his next set of shots also had him microchipped. :DGood move Johnny B!
I did the same w/ my dog, he didn't even know it was done.
:friday:

jlf
04-20-2006, 10:12 AM
we just gave our Border Collie the lymes shot, we decided it best since we let him run on the farm a lot and we already have been pulling ticks off him. We also are trying the Bio Spot which is supposed to be a flea/tick and mosquito preventer.

Sorry to hear about the dog, that sucks. A guy I know has a lab that has had it a couple of times and the dog has never been the same, I think it affects their joints, makes them stiff. Hope your dog will be recover just fine.

Datdude
04-20-2006, 10:26 AM
For groomings and general health things, we do Northwoods. Our dogs have had a number of things wrong over the years...stopped eating, eye injuries, etc. that would be the 'major stuff' I mentioned. We learned of Joe Bodewes (pronounced "Bo-Davis") from a friend and had him take care of that stuff. He had a mobile vet service and recently opened a new office in Hazelhurst next to R&R snowmobile rental. Not sure of the address, but I think he's still listed in the phone book as "Veterinary House Calls". The sign out front of his new office says "All Creatures Veterinary Care" or something like that. I highly recommend him. FWIW. Water is warming up....one of these days it'll be time to put in the wetsuit and go!

I might have to check Joe out. Thanks for the info.

As far as I know she had a Lyme vaccine when we took her in the first time for all of her shots. I am going to ask about that when they call back with the results of the test.

When it comes to the water warming up.......I still have to get my boat out of storage and over to Stengl to get it ready. My elbow has been really sore lately too so I am not in any hurry to start skiing. Last ski of the year last October I popped something in my right elbow and it hurt like a madre for a week, then went away. A few days ago I was lifting something and it did the same thing. I guess it might be time to go to the doctor, but I am afraid of what I am going to find. It hurts worse when I try to make a fist or hang onto a ski rope :noface: .

Thanks for the help!!!