PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a good Compact Tractor?

jkski
04-17-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm looking for a good compact tractor with a frontend loader, and prefferably a backhoe. (I've already got a 5ft' brush hog)

Anyone got some good advice on what is good and AFFORDABLE? It seems that some of the larger ones are cheaper than the true compacts, so I am open to the larger ones as well. I will need it for maintaining 5 acres.

Bring on the advice........

NORTHERN LIGHTS
04-17-2006, 03:51 PM
any compact with a backhoe is gonna run some $$$.
I have a deere x585 4x4 with a 60" deck and loader. loader doesn't pick-up sh*t (300lbs) but its enough to get my docks in and out and make me a wanna be farmer. i also have 5 acres and most of it is lawn.
Best compact I ever owned was a deere 790 25 hp diesel. rear pto front loader but kinda big to mow. my .02

dog paw
04-17-2006, 03:55 PM
I had a Ford 1520 4wd with a front loader bush hog, finish mower...well all the attatchments :D It was big enough to do REAL farm work 300acre dairy. Manure removal, mowing, fencing, snow removal and so on. But small and nimble enough to do your lawn with a pull behind or belly finish mower. It's been a few years back but it was under 20k with frontloader and bush hog

Workin' 4 Toys
04-17-2006, 04:25 PM
I had a Ford 1520 4wd with a front loader bush hog, finish mower...well all the attatchments :D It was big enough to do REAL farm work 300acre dairy. Manure removal, mowing, fencing, snow removal and so on. But small and nimble enough to do your lawn with a pull behind or belly finish mower. It's been a few years back but it was under 20k with frontloader and bush hog
I ain't scoopin' poop with a $20,000 piece of equipment!!!! You gotsta be crazy..;)

bcampbe7
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm looking for a good compact tractor with a frontend loader, and prefferably a backhoe. (I've already got a 5ft' brush hog)

Anyone got some good advice on what is good and AFFORDABLE? It seems that some of the larger ones are cheaper than the true compacts, so I am open to the larger ones as well. I will need it for maintaining 5 acres.

Bring on the advice........

I have a JD 2210. I just have the 62C deck, but it has rear PTO and has the attachments for a front-end loader. It is also shift-on-the-fly 4WD and has a 23hp diesel.

It is the perfect tractor for 5-10 acres and does very well with my .75 acres. :o

jkski
04-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Found a nice looking Ford 1220 for a reasonable price, however, I do not know if it would be big enough (I am not very well educated on the various models).

What do you think... how many HP do you need to effectively run a front loader and hoe?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-17-2006, 04:43 PM
OOO! I dont know jack squat about tractors, but this reminds me of one of the stupidist jokes in the world my geometry teacher used to tell every year.

Q: If Professional farmers use "Protractors", what do Amateur farmers use?
A: AMATEUR TRACTORS!!!! :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :dance:

YEEEE HAWWWW!!! cant belive you didnt see that coming!!!! HA HA!!!

jkski
04-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Loved it...and deserved it!!!!

bcampbe7
04-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Found a nice looking Ford 1220 for a reasonable price, however, I do not know if it would be big enough (I am not very well educated on the various models).

What do you think... how many HP do you need to effectively run a front loader and hoe?

Any one of these would probably be great for 5 acres.

Ford 1220
http://www.tractordata.com/td/td580.html

Ford 1520
http://www.tractordata.com/td/td584.html

JD 2210
http://www.tractordata.com/td/td174.html

I would go with the one that you would have the most luck with service and/or buying parts for. I do not have a Ford-Holland dealer in my area that I know of, so I narrowed my search to JD and Kubota based on that information.

LakePirate
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
As I put my flame suit on....

Go and check out Mahindra (http://www.mahindrausa.com/default.aspx) tractors. They are way cheaper than JD or Kubota and are good tractors. We have been pleased with the one we have.

jkski
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Great site for info, thanks for the links....I am now informed!!!

TMCNo1
04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
OOO! I dont know jack squat about tractors, but this reminds me of one of the stupidist jokes in the world my geometry teacher used to tell every year.

Q: If Professional farmers use "Protractors", what do Amateur farmers use?
A: AMATEUR TRACTORS!!!!

YEEEE HAWWWW!!! cant belive you didnt see that coming!!!! HA HA!!!

Now I can say, "I heard one of the stupidest jokes in the world from a TT member named UMP, that his geometry teacher used to tell every year!" :eek: 8p :D

JEREMY79
04-17-2006, 10:43 PM
I have a JD 4440, 6410, and a Massey 270X

315 acres.

Massey makes some nice little tractors and they arent too expensive.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
04-17-2006, 11:07 PM
Now I can say, "I heard one of the stupidest jokes in the world from a TT member named UMP, that his geometry teacher used to tell every year!" :eek: :D

Rock on my friend, rock on!! :toast: :steering:

flipper
04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
I know a couple that have New Hollands. They are really nice, don't know about the prices though. Well built machines.

jimmer2880
04-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Stay away from Massey Ferg. My dad has one & it's a real piece of Cr@p! His older Ford was much much nicier & never needed any work. There isn't a day his Massey runs that it doesn't need something.

I have a 15 hp Yanmar Diesel. Awesome little tractor. But - it's probably a little small for what you want. Yanmar is who powers JD's small diesel tractors.

Evan Jones
04-18-2006, 09:05 AM
A buddy of mine has a Kyoti. An off brand import, but it has held up well. He has a backhoe on it.

Leroy
04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
They actually look pretty nice!

As I put my flame suit on....

Go and check out Mahindra (http://www.mahindrausa.com/default.aspx) tractors. They are way cheaper than JD or Kubota and are good tractors. We have been pleased with the one we have.

SD190EVO
04-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Unless you are going to be doing a lot of hoe work, I would suggest not getting that on your machine. The little ones dont dig worth a cr@p anyway and most of the time you are not using it so you are lugging around a bunch of iron you don't need which basically makes the rest of your rig worthless.

If you are going to be doing a lot of hoe work, then get a real hoe (or rent one for a day). The all-in-ones are really 'can do a little bit of everything but can't do anything very well'.

LakePirate
04-18-2006, 10:23 AM
They actually look pretty nice!

They are a treat to drive. Can you say power steering on a tractor..
I figured that I would get lit up by the buy American bunch.

SD190EVO
04-18-2006, 11:49 AM
India is much more friendly with our culture than China/Korea. They also do not steal ideas and clone things. They are not unique to having hydraulic steering though.