PDA

View Full Version : Marine Topside Paint

marknanh
04-17-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a 1988 Mastercraft Tristar. The previous owner left it out in the sun fading the deep blue paint to a mottled aqua color. The painted area on the hull is not extensive so I plan on repainting it myself with an appropriate marine topside paint.

I am looking for a paint recommendation as well as any tips & trick regarding the upcoming paint job.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mark

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 10:50 AM
:eek: Paint! :eek:

Have you thought about just having the entire boat wet sanded? That can usually restore the gelcoat to a like new state.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
I've seen some mid/late 80's boats that have been painted/cleared. Trick is to then treat is like a car when complete. Wash, wax.

Prepping, I am sure there are alot of guys here that could give you details on exactly what to do. But the key to a good stick is surface prep.
I do think there is also a flex agent required for painting fiberglass, check into it.

I have to ask. Have you painted before? If so, what? Where do you intend to do the work?

Sodar
04-17-2006, 03:23 PM
The best paint out there is a linear polyetholene(LP) paint. I really do not recommend painting if you can avoid it. It is much less resilient than fiberglass in all areas. We repaint our ocean boat every 5-7 years because it just does not hold up. I would seriously consider wetsanding and polishing... it will be cheaper than painting it the right way and will last much longer than paint. Just my opinion!

jeverett
04-17-2006, 03:48 PM
The best paint out there is a linear polyetholene(LP) paint. I really do not recommend painting if you can avoid it. It is much less resilient than fiberglass in all areas. We repaint our ocean boat every 5-7 years because it just does not hold up. I would seriously consider wetsanding and polishing... it will be cheaper than painting it the right way and will last much longer than paint. Just my opinion!

I agree with sodorski paint is impracticle for a boat. First try the wet sand and buff if the gel is to thin and you go through try re-gelcoating, a fiberglass shop could do it pretty reasonable if it's just a small area, or it's not that hard to DIY.

6ballsisall
04-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Send it to Jeremy79 for a makeover. His work is absolutely incredible! And YES you can make paint work fine for a boat. Ask Jeremy, he made it work just fine.

Sodar
04-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Send it to Jeremy79 for a makeover. His work is absolutely incredible! And YES you can make paint work fine for a boat. Ask Jeremy, he made it work just fine.

I NEVER said you could not make it work, I said it does not hold up like gelcoat... no one you ask will argue this!