PDA

View Full Version : need back seat!

fam4s89
09-30-2004, 03:17 AM
I just bought a 1985 mastercraft. I want to put a back seat in it. where can I find one to fit?

H20skeefreek
09-30-2004, 04:42 AM
I just bought a 1985 mastercraft. I want to put a back seat in it. where can I find one to fit?

congrats on the '85!! there is getting to be quite a few on here. I honestly think you are probably going to have to make one. You can keep you eyes on ebay, but I don't think you are going to have very much luck.

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm not really familiar with the layup on the 85s, but do you need the seat base cushion, the seatback/seat base piece (assuming it's sort of like my 93), or both?

MarkP
09-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Welcome aboard fam4s!!

Keep an eye on Ebay is all I can say about the seat.

tph
09-30-2004, 12:15 PM

I have an '83. I think the seat is the same. If so, it is constructed of a one piece injected foam base and back. They are very light but not particularly durable. Also, I think they are very difficult to find. If I recall correctly, the earlier models had a firm seat cushion that rested on the floor and a snap on back/side rest cushion. That might be a good way to go.

east tx skier
09-30-2004, 02:52 PM
You might try getting yourself a big hunk of styrofoam, carving it, and enclosing it with a fiberglass mat of some sort. If you go that route, please, please, please, hollow out one side of it for a cooler. This was something that was discussed about a year ago, but, to my knowledge, never attempted.

fam4s89
10-01-2004, 08:44 PM
I need both! I dont know if it was an option in 85 or not. This boat dosen't look like its ever had a back seat.

ski_king
10-02-2004, 08:41 AM
I believe the 82 thru 86 had the same basic size and shape rear seat. The biggest difference with my 82 is the frame is made of wood. 83 on, they didnt use wood.
When I redid my interior a few years ago I rebuilt and modified my rear seat frame. I have some pictures around here somewhere that have a lot of measuremnts on them, I will see if I can find. Maybe you can make aa frame from scratch and get an upolestry to foam and cover it.

fam4s89
10-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all of the info you guys provided. Powerslot82, I would appreciate it if you find those pictures, I would like to see them. I will probably build my own frame and have it covered. I have been thinking about using the ADVANTEC flooring material that I used to build my floor in my house. It is practically waterproof. I have had a small piece on the wood pile out behind the house, and in 5 years its still as good as the day I threw it out there. Its really remarkable stuff. I think it would work for all kinds of boat repair work where wood needed to be replaced. (floors, ect.)