PDA

View Full Version : Check list for picking up new boat

michael freeman
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Iím pretty sure this topic has been discussed because I could have sworn I have read it on this board, but for the life of me I can not find the old thread.

Anyway, this is my first new boat ( í06 X-30) and the dealer said I could pick it up this Tuesday. What type of walk through from Texas Mastercraft (dealer) should I expect and what things should I check myself before taking the boat? :steering:

I thought I should make a check list and follow it so the excitement doesnít cause me to rush and skip over things.

Background: This is my first Mastercraft. Actually it is my first inboard and most of my boating experience is from outboard runabouts from a long time ago. Iíve taken the boater safety class to refresh my knowledge, and Iíve been watching wake boarding DVDs explaining how to drive my boat the correct way. (i.e., not send rollers down the lake, etc.)

What are everyoneís suggestions, or could someone direct me to a thread that covers this?

Thanks,
Mike

JimN
04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Whatch your depth and once you launch it, the dealer should let you drive it after he demonstrates it. You will definitely not be driving it the same way you remember driving the other boats. Inboards handle very differently and you'll want to practice launching/loading and slow speed manoeuvers. The others will fill in the blanks.

Diesel
04-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Give it time and practice. Once you get the hang of it you will not want to drive any other type of boat. Keep in mind the boat will pull to the right in reverse and it takes some practice direct the boat in reverse. At first just plan ahead and set up for the boat to pull to the right. At slow speeds around the dock constantly bump it in and out and use the rudder to control your direction. Go SLOW and you will be alright. Don't get frustrated it will take some time but will become second nature with practice............ :)

michael freeman
04-17-2006, 06:37 PM
To improve my inboard slow speed skills, I've heard you can throw a fender out in the middle of the lake and practice coming up beside it. I plan on trying that some when I go out on the lake this weekend.

Texas Mastercraft has a small pond next to their store that I demo'ed a X-30 in. I assume we will go out there with my boat to go over the "how to use this or that"

How many hours should I expect on a new boat from the factory? How many hours does the factory put on it, and how much should I expect from the dealer?

how anal. do I need to be when checking everything out. Is it standard to crawl through every single visable inspection, or can you trust the dealer and manufacture to quality check the major stuff.

I'm pretty sure I will drive the salesman crazy, but I don't want to drive off and have a problem that they say is something I did, but was there when I picked it up. I've had that issue with a new car before and it really makes me mad, even if it is a little $10 part or something.

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 06:41 PM
To improve my inboard slow speed skills, I've heard you can throw a fender out in the middle of the lake and practice coming up beside it. I plan on trying that some when I go out on the lake this weekend.

Texas Mastercraft has a small pond next to their store that I demo'ed a X-30 in. I assume we will go out there with my boat to go over the "how to use this or that"

How many hours should I expect on a new boat from the factory? How many hours does the factory put on it, and how much should I expect from the dealer?

how anal. do I need to be when checking everything out. Is it standard to crawl through every single visable inspection, or can you trust the dealer and manufacture to quality check the major stuff.

I'm pretty sure I will drive the salesman crazy, but I don't want to drive off and have a problem that they say is something I did, but was there when I picked it up. I've had that issue with a new car before and it really makes me mad, even if it is a little $10 part or something.

Your spending ALOT of money with the dealer. Take your time, ask a ton of questions, and if you don't understand something, have it explained. This is your opportunity to learn EVERYTHING that needs to be known about your new boat.

Yes, take the time to check every square inch of the boat. Both inside and out. I would be going over the whole boat with a fine tooth comb! ;)

Check hoses, gauges, lights, switches, clamps, snaps, cover...everything to make sure that they are operational.

I would expect a NEW boat to have under 5 hours on the hour meter. Probably less than that though, more than that, and I would question if it has been a demo boat and who else has driven or skied behind YOUR boat.

JimN
04-17-2006, 07:00 PM
The factory biulds them and tests them but they leave the fine tuning to the dealer. Make sure the coupler was within spec (they're supposed to check it and if it's off, adjust it), if you have the TBI they're supposed to verify base timing and run diagnostics (with the results on paper) and they should lake test it before you ever get in it for the on-water demo.

A couple of extra hours won't hurt anything. 30 indicates a demo (for someone) or they used it to sell other boats with. If you ordered yours, they should have gotten confirmation and that would come with the hull #. If it has more than a few hours on it, ask for a deal on the 20 (or 25) hour checkup. Think of that as a shake-down test but it needs to be looked at early so they can see what has changed or needs readjustment.

As erkl said, it is a LOT of money so don't be afraid of the dealer. You're the one who is supposed to be satisfied with the boat.

vegashomeexpert
04-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Hope you can sleep tonight! I wouldn't be able to! Congrats! :D

AirJunky
04-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Do the big boats pull to the side in reverse now? They didn't used to. I would always have to sort of pitch the side into the dock as I pulled up...... slowly, of course.
Congrats on the purchase. Enjoy it!

SteveO
04-17-2006, 07:28 PM
A six pack of beer or favorite adult beverage to have a celebratory drink. This may be the longest night of your life. Tell Jimmy and Todd I said hello and let me know if you need any help finding storage, or anything towards the mound.

Harvey
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Mike, here is what you do. You walk in and tell Todd/Jimmy that you decided to not purchase the boat and you want your money back. Then wait and watch to see what they do. Right about the time they start squirming then tell them you were messing with them.

Seriously, they ought to take care of you; they have me for 3 different boats now. Just take your time and be patient, with yourself. Ask questions if you have them and make sure that you are happy with your purchase. They have always tried their best to resolve any situation I have. I will actually be there in the morning to drop off a demo board around 10-10:30 so I might see you there.

sand2snow22
04-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Michael, don't be like me and bend the boat buddy when putting it on the trailer for the first time. The new throttle by wire is super sensitive. I've heard of people almost putting the boat in the bed of their tow vehicle. I'm sure you'll be fine, just be careful.

I was like you and had a list of items I needed to understand. Make sure they tell you what all the guages and switches do. Make sure everything works. Try to go over the boat and look for blemishes in the gel coat like heat marks and spider cracks. Look around the pop up cleats if you got them.

It sounds like you have a good dealer, more than likely you will have some issues. It is a boat and the factory is cranking them out right now, they usually miss something. Once the boat is at home see if the dealer will let you make a list of things that need to be fixed, then sort it out when you take it in for the 10 hour oil change.

Congrats and have fun. You'll love it. Post pics, too...... :headbang:

vogelm1
04-17-2006, 09:53 PM
If you ordered a spare tire with the trailer make sure it's on there. It'll save you a trip back (like I did) when you want to be out using the new boat. Also there should be a "dummy" speed/temp sensor found in the glove box. When trailering on long trips you're supposed to remove the speed sensor and plug in the "blank" to prevent unnecessary wear and tear on the paddle wheel. Duct tape over the paddle wheel works OK too though. I ended up making a short list of all the little minor things like this and brought it in to the 20 check - everything was corrected/replaced no questions asked. Have fun and try to remember what it feels like!

michael freeman
04-19-2006, 09:33 AM
I drove by Texas Mastercraft yesterday and the boat wasnít ready. Mark had it over at the stereo shop getting the second set of speakers put in. My understanding is that the factory forgot to put them on, and the dealer had to install them. (Is this going to be a warranty issue?)

Anyway, I come back that evening and Mark takes me out on their lake to show me the boat. The boat is great but I am notorious for looking at all the little details. First is that the tower light switch doesnít work (okay maybe this one is not a little detail :). This leads Mark to look for the breaker. My understanding is that the breaker is hanging under the dash (not in the breaker panel). From what one of the techs was saying, he believes the breaker goes into a little blank/hole above the switch on the side switch panel. Does any one know for sure? Iím going to ask that this be fixed.

I also ordered the trailer with LED light option. This was part of my dealing with Mark, but I finally agreed that I would pay the Ďdealer costí for the item when it came in. I forgot to have that added in writing which may be the issue. Anyway Mark bought and installed them yesterday (last night) and asked me to just reimburse him the $200. (Again is this going to be a warranty issue?)

Okay now for the really nitpicky stuff.
1) The little hatch door at seat level that is the step on and off the sun deck is scratching the vinyl when it is opened and closed. I believe they are going to grind down the lip of the door to take the sharp edge off the bottom so that it will slide. There are little cut marks on the vinyl from it (very small) that they said they would repair and touch up. Anyone else have this problem with the walk-thru seat level door?

2) A small scratch in the switch bezel where the tool that they used to put in the switch scratched the anodized aluminum name plate. (See I told you I have notorious attention to detail)

3) The Perfect Pass display is dark with lines on it. It looks like the old computer screens when they get burned in from over use. Mark said it may be because of the heat (when under the cover) but the Mastercraft digital display was fine. They were going to call on this. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

4) It looks like they added Hyd steering to the boat even though I didnít order it. I demoed a boat without it and with the new rudder it doesnít need it. I donít really like the little fill port sticking out of my dash and that added complexity to a system that didnít need it, but if it is free, I guess I canít complain.

We lake tested before they had a chance to clean it and go through it well, which is probably the reason this stuff slipped through. (It was just back from the stereo shop when I arrived)

I will go through the boat again tonight before I accept it.

I told them I was not in any hurry, and that I wanted everything fixed before I accepted the boat. Not sure that they liked that answer, but they were working very hard to make me a happy person by addressing my issues. I donít want to be a pest, but I expect everything to work before I take it off the lot.

vogelm1
04-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Doesn't sound too nit-picky to me.....you're dropping some serious cash. It would be the same if you were buying a new Corvette or other high end vehicle. Everything that you ordered on the boat should work once all said and done...anything that doesn't work properly will be a warrantly deal at this point. They'll get you fixed up. It's good that you're patient, as most dealers are probably going nuts right now with the boating season starting.

I had a few similar minor problems with mine last year, and the dealer bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. For me, it was even down to little minor scratches in the gel coat. Most people probably wouldn't have noticed them, but my dealer gave me a roll of masking tape and had me put a small piece of tape over every scratch. They buffed out everything and it was about as perfect as it gets.

Harvey
04-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I am not sure about the seat issue but the perfect pass may just need the contrast adjusted. Mine was a little off on the contrast when I got it. The manual that comes with it has the key sequence for adjusting, I can't remember it off the top of my head.

It sounds like they are on top of it. They are in the busy season so what seems like disinterest is probably just being REALLY busy.

Doug G
04-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Same problem with the seat vinyl on mine when I picked it up last week. The dealer is ordering a new cushion for me. The issue looked to me like the way the rear starboard cushion fit into the side of the boat. I am just not going to allow that step cover to be opened. It's just a little cooler under their that I don't see being very useful anyway.

michael freeman
04-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Looks like the contrast settings was the problem with the PP. Thanks for the heads up. They had it fixed when I went by after work.

An okay solution to the seat problem seems to be a two part. First they rounded over the sharp edge off the bottom of the seat so it wouldn't cut into the seat. Second, if you push the seat cushions out toward the sides of the boat, it gives the seat hatch more room, so it doesn't touch.

I took delivery, but forgot to ask about the free Mastercraft membership stuff. Do I need to get something from the dealer or can I just sign up on-line with my boat info?