PDA

View Full Version : Seat Repair

krra1
04-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Any good ideas on how to repair this? It was caused by a vacuum cleaner. Over the weekend a friend and I installed a tower. The whole thing went well until clean up when he placed the running vacuum on the center back seat. (what was he thinking) Considering there was no way I could of installed the tower without him I can't be mad at him.
The damage is not all the way through to the cushon.

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Is it like a "scuff" or is it a burn?

88 PS190
04-17-2006, 11:07 AM
There are vinyl dies and repair kits that are essentailly a plastic that hardens on the surface. And they fill gouges. The issue being that these look unnaturally smooth, like someone spilled something, atleast most of them do.

This was a carpet vaccum with brushes?

krra1
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Yes, this was done by a vacuum with a spining bar with brushes.

JimN
04-17-2006, 02:49 PM
krra1- go to an upholstery shop and ask when the vinyl repair guy will be around or get his number. If you take it there when he's already doing things, you won't have to pay a trip charge. If he's any good, you'll have a hard time telling where the repair was done. Most car dealers use people like this for their used cars and new ones that have had some clod get in with something sticking out of their pocket.

AirJunky
04-17-2006, 02:57 PM
Yep, I had two big gouges, one on the engine cover & one on the back seat cushion. I'll get pics of them to be posted. The dye itself looks great. Texture is very close. The repair feels a bit stiffer than the rest of the upholstery. Cost was $81 & $135 for them both. As long as they hold up, I don't think anyone but me will ever know they were torn.