PDA

View Full Version : Spring Stupidity

SteveO
04-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Well it is that time of year again. You know, you take the boat out and do things that you would never do towards the end of the season. My Saturday started with a trip to the club for a few sets. Put the plug in, backed her off the trailer and she fired right up. As we were heading down river, my best friends 14 year old son says to his dad as I can see him in the rear view mirror pointing to the floor, whatís up with the water coming out the engine cover? I immediately sh!t myself and turned it off. I open the engine cover to look back to see my manifold hose dangling. Opps forgot to check it from a late spring frost that my boat storage guy had undone for me. Fortunately I connected it up and headed on our way. Well we had been out an hour or so and my friendís son wanted to wakeboard. I got my fat sacs out (old school, not built in yet),and filled the one in the locker. I proceeded to connect the one under the seat and continued to make preparations for him to board. I kinda forgot about the second sac filling until I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that my rear seat had suddenly become a tanning deck. :eek3: Yikes I was probably less than a minute away from blowing the whole dang thing. I gotta get back into my routine. What spring rookie moves have you made this year or years past?

Maristar210
04-17-2006, 07:49 AM
I think I can beat that. Last year, with .2 hours on the boat I hit a stump in umfamiliar water. Bent the hub on the prop, the strut and the associated bearings and seals needed to be replaced. Cost $1k to fix. At that rate I was in for $500 per tenth of an hour. Live and learn, each season on some things....

Steve

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 10:54 AM
I forgot the hose clamp on the hotwater out side of the heater hose coming off the engine, as well as the clamp on the hot water hose for the shower.

Similar situation as above, going down the river and my cousin says, "Um, why is there water on the floor?" I immediately shut down the boat, to find the hose blown off and water spraying everywhere.

Oh well, live and learn :)

kjohnson
04-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I left the plug out one time. Noticed water in the back of the boat. luckily, I turned the bilge pump on and was able to get the plug in before the engine became waterlogged and/or the boat sank. I was mad at myself for an hour.

RobertT
04-17-2006, 01:25 PM
I forgot to bring beer when I put the boat on the lake for the first time.

I had to ride all the way from the Marina to my dock sans beer.

It was a moment of celebration, putting the boat on for the first time of the season....and I forgot to bring a dang beer.

Total rookie mistake.

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 01:45 PM
I forgot to bring beer when I put the boat on the lake for the first time.

I had to ride all the way from the Marina to my dock sans beer.

It was a moment of celebration, putting the boat on for the first time of the season....and I forgot to bring a dang beer.

Total rookie mistake.

Bet you won't let that happen again.

Tom023
04-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Two years ago I forgot the transom tie downs. Everytime I see the bent tie down point on the trailer it reminds me of it.

Ric
04-17-2006, 02:32 PM
I was all thumbs connecting the trailer on friday, no mishaps (thank God) but I know what you mean for sure.
I was also horrible in the course (I know you aren't supposed to go chase balls on day one but there they are... why not ski around them??))

anyway, I think I must've ran over three turnbouys on Friday... My timing is wayyyy off!)

daveg
04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Very long story short(er). Several years ago Easter Day on Okauchee Lake near Oconomowoc, WI, took the boat out for the first run of the year. I had taken the rudder out a week or so before to put new rudder packings in it. Having never worked on a rudder before, I guess I kind of forgot about putting that little thing back on called THE RUDDER SAFTEY WIRE!!

After a couple of hours of use, the rudder bolt comes out, and the rudder drops to the bottom of the lake, and I have no control of the boat. I try to idle it to shore, where I run over a buoy with rope attached. It wraps around the prop, I swim 50 feet to shore in freezing water, to get help. A guy on shore helps me turns out to be....the guy that played the very first clown for a large hamburger chain HQ'd in the Chicago area that has large yellow arches. You never know who you are going to meet while swimming around in freezing water going into shock!

Moral of the story....A two cent peice of wire is VERY important...$300 rudders are VERY expensive to replace and its no fun swimming in 50 Degree water!!! As my son's baseball coach would say...."Any bone-headed plays today"??? Well, I sure had one that day!!

Davo
04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
I kinda forgot about the second sac filling until I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that my rear seat had suddenly become a tanning deck. :eek3: Yikes I was probably less than a minute away from blowing the whole dang thing.

How was the wake? Don't tell me you drained it. :D

I forgot to put in the plug on the very first trip out in my new boat. Doh!

rlwiley
04-18-2006, 05:20 PM
I have owned a boat since 1989. In that time I have never hit anything with the prop. In the last 3 weeks I have succesfully ruined 2 props. First prop was the trailer was in a little deep and the boat floated to the side as my wife was pulling on. Second prop(brand new) was installed last Thursday night around 5:30 and was ruined around 5:45.
Ouch on the wallet!

Kevin 89MC
04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Very long story short(er). Several years ago Easter Day on Okauchee Lake near Oconomowoc, WI,
I've been on that lake a few times. The wife has some cousins on it. Nice area! Bummer about the rudder. :noface:

bfinley
04-18-2006, 06:42 PM
That's how I started out last year.

First trip out - ruined prop.

Second trip out - Ruined my new prop, and pushed one of the fins on the bottom of my boat through the hull.

I feel your pain.

AirJunky
04-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Very long story short(er). Several years ago Easter Day on Okauchee Lake near Oconomowoc, WI, took the boat out for the first run of the year. I had taken the rudder out a week or so before to put new rudder packings in it. Having never worked on a rudder before, I guess I kind of forgot about putting that little thing back on called THE RUDDER SAFTEY WIRE!!

After a couple of hours of use, the rudder bolt comes out, and the rudder drops to the bottom of the lake, and I have no control of the boat. I try to idle it to shore, where I run over a buoy with rope attached. It wraps around the prop, I swim 50 feet to shore in freezing water, to get help. A guy on shore helps me turns out to be....the guy that played the very first clown for a large hamburger chain HQ'd in the Chicago area that has large yellow arches. You never know who you are going to meet while swimming around in freezing water going into shock!

Moral of the story....A two cent peice of wire is VERY important...$300 rudders are VERY expensive to replace and its no fun swimming in 50 Degree water!!! As my son's baseball coach would say...."Any bone-headed plays today"??? Well, I sure had one that day!!
Yea, but you got to meet Ronald McDonald?! How awesome is that?! :banana: