PDA

View Full Version : Cover Question

aerojt
04-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Just picked up a '93 Mastercraft Prostar 190, so I am new to the whole ski boat scene. I am curious what type of cover setup is "Factory" on this boat. My boat doesn't seem to have that setup. There is a bow assembly across the back area, almost over the motor dog house. The bow with my boat though is 7 foot long though and doesn't work too well. Are the mounts for the bow that are installed in the body factory? How do you all keep the water out of your boats with a cover on, and how do you travel with them. Thanks! Just curious what I should do for purchasing a cover.

-JT

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 12:59 AM
It should be similar to this:

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Thats kind of small...how about this.....

aerojt
04-17-2006, 01:06 AM
So you've got what looks like poles from the factory? No bow assembly in the back? Also do you tie your transom down to the trailer? The guy I bought it from said it doesn't tie down to trailer? Is this true? Thanks a lot for your quick help!

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 01:09 AM
So you've got what looks like poles from the factory? No bow assembly in the back? Also do you tie your transom down to the trailer? The guy I bought it from said it doesn't tie down to trailer? Is this true? Thanks a lot for your quick help!

There are 2 poles that snap into the cover. One goes right in front of the pylon and the other goes right behind the engine box.

I strap the boat down for 99% of my trailering. Unless I am taking a quick run to the river that is local, there are two straps that go on the back.

The straps are HIGHLY recommended!

aerojt
04-17-2006, 01:10 AM
The straps on the rear run from where to where?? The lift points? Thanks for all your help.

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 01:13 AM
I strap my boat down from the lift points down and around the frame of the trailer....you can see the black straps in this pic.

aerojt
04-17-2006, 01:15 AM
Yah My sea ray straps down like that - makes sense, I'll have to purchase another set for my Mastercraft. I trailered it about 3 hours without em, hopefully it didn't do too much, I didn't feel the thing moving or anything though.

-JT

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Yah My sea ray straps down like that - makes sense, I'll have to purchase another set for my Mastercraft. I trailered it about 3 hours without em, hopefully it didn't do too much, I didn't feel the thing moving or anything though.

-JT

Odds are it won't move, and hopefully you would never need them, however, you'll want them back there in an emergency.

You can get them from www.skidim.com www.overtons.com www.barts.com

TonyB
04-17-2006, 10:49 AM
I've a teak platform on the back of my 91 Prostar. I've yet to find a suitable way to strap down my transom to the trailer. I trailer it often and haven't had a problem.

My original cover (Mastercraft text across the window area) only had a "pole snap" accomadation behind the motor box. In the area around the pylon, there was only a reinforced area to reduce abrasion. The original canvas was fairly lightweight and wasn't trailerable. Alas, I cremated it just two months ago when I replaced it with a custom "sharkskin" cover.

east tx skier
04-17-2006, 10:59 AM
I run a single strap from the eylits on the trailer across the boat behind the engine box. Erk's method works great, but can be difficult with removing the swim platform and all.

BriEOD
04-17-2006, 11:00 AM
You can build a skeleton frame to go inside of your boat out of 2" PVC. Do not glue it together.

Also, if you are looking for a good cover check out Skiboatcovers.com
They make waterline covers that also cover your teak platform. I highly recommend them.

I use a 3" cargo strap and run it over the back of the boat and attach it to rings on the fenders of my trailer. All you are trying to do is keep the boat from bouncing off the trailer/shifting.

Sodar
04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I tow with tie down straps for simple peice of mind. When I first purchased the boat, I was driving out to the lake, when I went through a construction zone on the freeway. The trailer hit a bump and I could see an easy 6'' gap between the boat and the trailer bunks... that was the last time I have towed the trailer without them!!!

#47of100TeamMC
04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I've never used the tie downs on the back trailering mine, and never had a problem or sensed a need for them. I also don't trailer it with the cover on if I can help it... Especially with the straps that tie down to the trailer... I've seen WAY too many people on the road and those straps are flappin' in the wind right up against the boat. I guess i like my shinny gel coat too Much to have to buff it out every time I trailer it.

AirJunky
04-17-2006, 12:36 PM
I've never used the tie downs on the back trailering mine, and never had a problem or sensed a need for them.
I wish you luck trailering like that....... and everyone around you. The day you see a boat & trailer come apart & the boat hammers the tow rig or another car nearby, you'll rethink that philosophy. It ain't a pretty site & easily avoidable.

To the original poster about the covers: The poles that came with the factory cover have a tendancy to poke thru the cover when it gets to be a few years old (mine is a '94) due to the weight of any rain or snow on the cover. So many people have chosen to make PVC bows that go from one gunnel to the other or from the ski pylon to the back seat. This puts a lot more support surface under the cover & keeps them from poking thru the fabric.
These days I have a newer Sunbrella cover that doesn't need anything to tie it down while trailering (just the drawstring). But I use 4 small sandbags attached to the sides of the cover while it's moored. This keeps it tight & doesn't allow any rain to puddle on it.