PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wheel Question

aerojt
04-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Ok I just picked up a '93 Mastercraft Prostar 190 - Very nice boat, only 360 hours. Just a question about the wheels on the trailer. They are in bad shape and I am interested in purchasing some new ones. Overtons carries combos of tires/wheels. What is the bolt pattern, wheel info, etc on these things? I know its a 14" wheel and matching up tires shouldn't be a problem.

Also where does everyone buy parts like winch, "stand alone wheel/crank", surge brake assembly?

Who actually made this trailer for Mastercraft?

Thanks for all the help.

-JT

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Ok I just picked up a '93 Mastercraft Prostar 190 - Very nice boat, only 360 hours. Just a question about the wheels on the trailer. They are in bad shape and I am interested in purchasing some new ones. Overtons carries combos of tires/wheels. What is the bolt pattern, wheel info, etc on these things? I know its a 14" wheel and matching up tires shouldn't be a problem.

Also where does everyone buy parts like winch, "stand alone wheel/crank", surge brake assembly?

Who actually made this trailer for Mastercraft?

Thanks for all the help.

-JT

If the rims are still in good condition, you can get new tires from any local tire shop. Many on this board recommend Good Year Marathon tires.

You can get trailer parts from either your dealer, or many on the site, including myself, love www.skidim.com

From what I know (which isn't much at times) MasterCraft makes there own trailers. If you post a pic, we will be able to tell you for sure if it is an original MC trailer.

aerojt
04-17-2006, 02:12 AM
My rims need to be replaced. You are just answering all my questions!! Thanks - What size, bolt patter, etc should I get.

-JT

erkoehler
04-17-2006, 02:16 AM
I stole this from another thread on the board:

The Marathon Radial is Goodyear's "special purpose" trailer tire designed specifically for use on travel trailers, campers, boat trailers and fifth wheel trailers used for hauling everything from race horses to racecars.

The Marathon Radial was developed to make towing a trailer more enjoyable and more economical while making it easier to take your big "toys" with you on the weekends.

Special purpose trailer tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.

On the outside, the Marathon Radial features a rounded profile to enhance ride quality, and a symmetric tread design with a solid center rib to provide constant rubber-to-road contact that delivers dependable highway stability, traction and long lasting wear. Internally, the Marathon Radial features twin steel belts (with selected sizes reinforced with nylon cap plies) that stabilize the tread to increase traction and durability. The Marathon Radial features a polyester cord body to help smooth out the trailer's ride.

The Goodyear Marathon Radial's sidewall styling features outline white letters, subtle black letters or black letters reversed out of a circumferential serrated band. Marathon Radial tires are available in 80- and 75-series, Load Range B (35 psi), Load Range C (50 psi) or Load Range D (65 psi) ST-metric sizes for 13" through 16" wheel diameters.

Goodyear Marathon Radial (Special Trailer Service)
Warranty Rating 3 Star
Size: 215/75R14
Blackwall
Trailer Use Only
Price: $71.00 each Special
Estimated Availability:
In Stock

Goodyear Marathon Radial (Special Trailer Service)
Tire Photo Warranty Rating 3 Sidewall Style: Outlined White Letters
Blackwall Shown
Size: 215/75R14
Trailer Use Only
Load Rating C
Price: $78.00 Special
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Special purpose trailer tires are not UTQG rated.

I've heard, if you buy from "TireRack" online, their prices are really good!
Here's what I found from their website:
http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

After calling 'em, I was quoted $175 for (2) blkwall tires, including shipping.
Then, don't forget the installation cost! :uglyhamme

TIRE RACKS RECOMMENDED LOCAL INSTALLERS ...
Price Pledge Installer = Installers who participate in the Price Pledge program agree to display exact quotes for installation services based on tire aspect ratio. Additional or optional related installation fees are also displayed.

COMMUNITY TIRE & AUTO SERVICE
Mounting & Balancing (per tire)
Tires: $12-$20 Ea for most
Rubber Valve Stems: $1.00
Metal Valve Stems: $2.50
Tire Disposal Fee: $3.00 Ea

TIRE DOCTOR
Mounting & Balancing
Tires: $15-$20 Ea.
Rubber Valve Stems: $1
Metal Valve Stems: (Call)
Tire Disposal Fee: $2 Ea.

VIP AUTOCARE
Mounting $11.50 Ea for most Std Bal, $15 Ea for most Lifetime Bal Rubber Valve Stems: N/C
Metal Valve Stems: Priced per application
Tire Disposal Fee: $2.25 Ea

I then called "Tires Plus" and was quoted $87 per tire -
Installed & NO Shipping Fees. Hmmm, NOT REALLY that tough of a decision.

BOTTOM LINE -TIRES PLUS.

And I would watch ebay for the MC rims if you want to stay OEM.

TMCNo1
04-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Bolt pattern is 5 studs on 4 1/2" diameter, know as 5 on 4 1/2" or 5 on 4.5".

AirJunky
04-17-2006, 06:14 PM
You should be able to find rims & tires locally for a lot less than Overtons can ship to you. I paid about $65 for a Carlisle mounted & balanced last fall at Discount Tire. The rims on my MC trailer are just chrome plated steel modular rims like American Racing makes. Any Discount or Les Schwab type store should have them in stock.

Sodar
04-17-2006, 06:17 PM
There are higher and lower quality trailer wheels. The stock wheels on a MC trailer have a clear coat on the chrome. Any trailer that is dumped in the water should have a thick clear coat to prevent rust on the chrome. I would recommend you visit a local trailer store if you are looking for new wheels that you want to look good and last...

BriEOD
04-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Check eBay. I found a set of rims off a 2003 MC trailer that were mint for cheap. The guy was upgrading to something fancy.

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I just got back from www.trailersbydorsey.com They have a full selection of wheels, tires, or both that will fit your trailer. 5 bolt, 4.5", 215 75 R14.

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Check with JLF, she is selling some rims...

east tx skier
04-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Yes, she is. And they appear to be the right size for you.

erkoehler
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes, she is. And they appear to be the right size for you.

Sorry, typo....I knew that :)

chrisbank
02-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Will wheels from newer Mastercraft trailers fit a 1991 Mastercraft trailer?

14" wheel with 5 on 4.5 lug pattern??

east tx skier
02-29-2008, 12:32 PM
How much newer. That is the right size, but the much newer trailers have 6 bolt patterns and are 15" rims I believe.

ShamrockIV
02-29-2008, 12:35 PM
http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/

here u go bro!! i ordered a perefect match for my 205 trailer and i also picled up the retractable buckles!!! great products!!

TMCNo1
02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
The 5 lugs on 4.5" pattern for the tandem trailers will work on the earlier trailers, but the 6 lug for the single axle trailers won't for obvious reasons.

trunderw
03-14-2008, 04:01 PM
I have an 87 prostar w/original trailer. does anyone know the tire/wheel size? I was gonna order some...I know it's on the tire, but I keep it about an hour and a half away since I have no storage...tia